• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What's the best book ...?

rustyinbend

GySgt USMC 1976-1992
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 9, 2018
    Bend, Oregon
    Retiring soon, and want to start reloading ... primarily 6.5 Creedmoor, 300 WinMag, and 338 Lapua.

Question #1: What's the best complete reloading machine/kit to do that well, without having to buy a room full of individual piece-parts?
    Question #2: What's' the best book to read to get myself started in the shortest time frame?

I'm a quick study, and like summaries and quick-start guides, more than I like reading long novels. Stated differently, I'm into "Instructions" ... not "Instruction".

Earlier thread on avoiding common mistakes was great ... now I'm asking the next two questions. My objective is to (a) buy what I need, and (b) be reloading my first cartridges a few days after procurement of the right components.

You're going to need AT LEAST 3 reloading manuals. One of them should definitely be the Lyman Manual. I also like the Hornady and Sierra manuals. Another book I really like is, "Metallic Cartridge Handloading. Pursuit of the Perfect Cartridge", by Mic McPherson

As far as "reloading equipment kits" I would not go that route. Buy the individual items (press, powder measure, scale, etc). If this your first attempt at reloading I HIGHLY SUGGEST that you find a mentor who has been doing this for a number of years and knows what to buy and how to use it. Go to PRS, IDPA, PPC, etc. matches and talk to the competitors. They are very willing to talk to you and let you know what to use and, more importantly, what not to use. No need for you to re-invent the wheel.

Resist the temptation to buy cheap equipment. Notice that I didn't say inexpensive. Buy the better item and if need be save up to get the better product. You will not regret it. Properly cared for reloading equipment will last several life times. Get the good stuff. It it very easy to spend money on equipment that is not the best and you'll only wind up buying the better items later on. Remember, "Only rich people can afford to buy cheap stuff".

What will you be reloading? Rifle, handgun or shotgun?

Question 2: Buy the book(s) for the bullets you shoot most. I have current Hornady and Nosler books because those are my go to bullets along with numerous articles and books on reloading in general. Find someone with experience and watch them work and help them out is the best way to learn the ropes.
    Question 1: I am a hands on guy. Hand Primer, Powder Thrower, Electronic Scale, Powder Trickler, Single Stage Press (Hollywood from 1948), Lee or RCBS Dies. A RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master Kit would be my choice if I was to start over with the addition of an electronic scale.

I enjoy to process of reloading, I get great results and it is a tie back to my dad who has moved to the happy hunting ground.

My opinion, it is worth what you paid for it.

As above, you will probably want at least a few books. I second not just buying a "kit". For the cartridges you mention, I would buy a piece at a time. With out knowing your expectations, or budget, I would buy the Co-Ax press, Redding comp dies, AutoTrickler, Giraud trimmer and the rest of the small stuff and be done on the first try.

As above, you will probably want at least a few books. I second not just buying a "kit". For the cartridges you mention, I would buy a piece at a time. With out knowing your expectations, or budget, I would buy the Co-Ax press, Redding comp dies, AutoTrickler, Giraud trimmer and the rest of the small stuff and be done on the first try.

The Co-Ax press is one of the most expensive presses out there BUT If I were to do it all over again I would save up and get the Co-Ax. Once you try one, see how easy it is to change dies and notice the accuracy obtained you will know why it is highly desired.

I've used most every brand of dies and highly recommend the Redding and Forster competition dies. Again, more money but well worth it.

Once you spend the money required to get quality, precise equipment, it's done. You have all you need to turn out accurate ammo.

One more thing. IMO don't get a progressive press...not just yet. Too many operations going one at one time. Learn the basics on a single stage press first and then, if you want, get a progressive.

I like an electronic powder measure ( I have the RCBS Chargemaster) but I also have a beam scale to verify the electronic scale.

Reloading trays. I have tried several brands but I find the MTM Universal Reloading Trays work the best, hold a ton of different size cases and are inexpensive.

The Co-Ax press is one of the most expensive presses out there BUT If I were to do it all over again I would save up and get the Co-Ax. Once you try one, see how easy it is to change dies and notice the accuracy obtained you will know why it is highly desired.

One more thing. IMO don't get a progressive press...not just yet. Too many operations going one at one time. Learn the basics on a single stage press first and then, if you want, get a progressive.

1.) The Co-Ax is NOT one of the most expensive presses. It's very affordable at ~$350. So ya...its not at Rockchucker prices, but its not even close to expensive compared to other presses.
    2.) The Dillon 550 would be the exception to the "progressive has too many operations". Its manually indexed and you can literally just run it like a single stage if you'd like, then as you get the process down, you can step up to 2, 3, or 4 steps/stations at a time.

OP.... if you shoot a lot, and you want to reload for everything you shoot...I highly recommend looking into a Dillon 550. It can make incredibly accurate ammo and don't let any one tell you different. There are Service Rifle, F-Class, PRS, and other competitive shooters using 550's to make their match ammo.

If you don't shoot that much, and don't care how much time you spend at the reloading bench, then its prolly a wash. Just figured I'd throw that in there for you to think on.

Reactions: Seymour Fish
    1.) The Co-Ax is NOT one of the most expensive presses. It's very affordable at ~$350. So ya...its not at Rockchucker prices, but its not even close to expensive compared to other presses.
    2.) The Dillon 550 would be the exception to the "progressive has too many operations". Its manually indexed and you can literally just run it like a single stage if you'd like, then as you get the process down, you can step up to 2, 3, or 4 steps/stations at a time.

OP.... if you shoot a lot, and you want to reload for everything you shoot...I highly recommend looking into a Dillon 550. It can make incredibly accurate ammo and don't let any one tell you different. There are Service Rifle, F-Class, PRS, and other competitive shooters using 550's to make their match ammo.

If you don't shoot that much, and don't care how much time you spend at the reloading bench, then its prolly a wash. Just figured I'd throw that in there for you to think on.

I didn't say it wasn't affordable. It is one of those most expensive presses when compared to other single stage presses. The price is why many reloaders do not buy it.

A progressive press has at least 4 operations going on at one time. For the beginner it is best, IMO, to stay with the single stage press, learn what happens at each stage of the loading process and then when the reloader is comfortable with single stage loading, introduce the progressive press. It will keep the mistakes and omissions down to a minimum. Can a progressive be used as a single stage press, yes. And if a beginning reloader knows that they will be shooting a lot of ammo then go ahead and get a progressive. But that single stage press (no matter which one you get) will always have a use at the loading bench.

Same reason a new student does not learn to fly in a multi-engine aircraft. Why too many things going on that they must attend to. They always start out in a basic, single engine aircraft (no retractable gear, no constant speed prop, etc).

Reactions: kujuak
    For the beginner it is best, IMO, to stay with the single stage press, learn what happens at each stage of the loading process and then when the reloader is comfortable with single stage loading, introduce the progressive press. It will keep the mistakes and omissions down to a minimum. Can a progressive be used as a single stage press, yes. And if a beginning reloader knows that they will be shooting a lot of ammo then go ahead and get a progressive. But that single stage press (no matter which one you get) will always have a use at the loading bench.

Same reason a new student does not learn to fly in a multi-engine aircraft. Why too many things going on that they must attend to. They always start out in a basic, single engine aircraft (no retractable gear, no constant speed prop, etc).

☝ This is EXCELLENT advice!! Even after reloading for 20 years, I always go back to my single stage press.
    I prefer and recommend a Hornady Lock n' Load single stage press. Reason being, once you adjust each die for its intended purpose....A simple twist to secure/remove the die is all it takes between loading procedures. (sizing/priming/bullet seating)

You want to KISS your workbench and reloading process. Keep It Stupid Simple! I would only recommend a progressive press for pistol reloading, after you develop a process(how ever long that may take). I've always done my rifle reloading on a single stage press. Keep it simple! It's very easy to do once you learn the basics. Word of advice(for a newbie): Keep your bottle of beer or evening beverage of choice off the reloading bench for the first few months. It can be easy to get distracted and the next thing you know....You skip an important reloading step and have a potential problem along with a fuzzy head from booze. But, we're all free to do what we wish. Just my .02 cents :)

A progressive press has at least 4 operations going on at one time. For the beginner it is best, IMO, to stay with the single stage press, learn what happens at each stage of the loading process and then when the reloader is comfortable with single stage loading, introduce the progressive press. It will keep the mistakes and omissions down to a minimum. Can a progressive be used as a single stage press, yes. And if a beginning reloader knows that they will be shooting a lot of ammo then go ahead and get a progressive. But that single stage press (no matter which one you get) will always have a use at the loading bench.

I started with a 550. I like the buy once cry once approach, and I haven't been disappointed with my choice. I wouldn't be disappointed if I had an extra single stage, but I would never trade for one.

...then again, my first 60 odd flight hours were in an Arrow with retractable gear and constant speed prop...

I’ll pretty much agree. You can’t have too many reloading manuals. Three is a minimum, four or five is even better. This is the cheapest insurance you will ever purchase. Most have a pretty decent primer needed to get started. Start slow, stick with one caliber until you are comfortable, cross reference all of your loads with multiple manuals to assure that they make sense. There are differences.

Common sense leads to have only one powder and one brand of primers on the loading bench at one time.

A final thought, steel targets and game animals really can’t tell the difference between a velocity generated by a maximum load and the velocity generated by a mid-range load. But Your Rifle SURE Can! You don’t have to shoot the fastest, but strive for the most accurate.

Reactions: PhilCo
    Question #1: What's the best complete reloading machine/kit to do that well, without having to buy a room full of individual piece-parts?
    As a few have stated, most kits do not give you everything you need or want and is generally out dated, like the powder dispensers.

I would start out with a good single stage press and electronic powder dispenser. Ultimate Reloader did a shootout of most popular presses on his website and on YouTube. It is worth a watch.

Question #2: What's' the best book to read to get myself started in the shortest time frame?
    Top Grade Ammo is a good starter book. As far as reloading manuals and apps go, you should start out with the ones that cover the bullets you plan on shooting first and the the powder ones second. Before you buy the books, check and see if they have an app that will work on your phone or tablet or if they have it in a downloadable PDF. Most of these are free as are some of there ballistic apps from some of the manufacture's.

As far as what is the best manufacture reloading books, I think it really up to the user.

Reactions: kujuak

I've used most every brand of dies and highly recommend the Redding and Forster competition dies. Again, more money but well worth it.

Once you spend the money required to get quality, precise equipment, it's done. You have all you need to turn out accurate ammo.

I like an electronic powder measure ( I have the RCBS Chargemaster) but I also have a beam scale to verify the electronic scale.

Reloading trays. I have tried several brands but I find the MTM Universal Reloading Trays work the best, hold a ton of different size cases and are inexpensive.

I have a CoAx, it does some things well and others not so well. If I had to do it over I probably wouldn't buy it again. I'm going to sell it when the 419 press is available.

As far as books go, I learned with an old Speer manual. I still use it as a reference and find it to be invaluable. I think I have most of the manuals on the market plus QL. The bullet specific manuals such as Nosler, Hornady, and Sierra are ok for load development reference. Same for the Hodgdon magazine. Doing it all over I'd probably just buy the Speer manual and QL since most of the data is available free.

I find LoadData worth the small amount of $ for a subscription, quick access to a lot of load data plus frequent up dates.

This looked like a good one ... I just ordered it ... THANKS !!!
    Thats money well spent........may take a little getting used to how Glenn puts his thoughts to words though.

Hodgdon annual reloading manual, IMO is a must have, I buy every year when they come out. Good reveiws on the latest powders and calibers.

I started with a 550. I like the buy once cry once approach, and I haven't been disappointed with my choice. I wouldn't be disappointed if I had an extra single stage, but I would never trade for one.

...then again, my first 60 odd flight hours were in an Arrow with retractable gear and constant speed prop...
    Can't saying it shouldn't be done but the average new pilot does better learning on something simple. Keeps the frustration level down. I started flying on the OH-58 then went to fixed wing.

I have a CoAx, it does some things well and others not so well. If I had to do it over I probably wouldn't buy it again. I'm going to sell it when the 419 press is available.

As far as books go, I learned with an old Speer manual. I still use it as a reference and find it to be invaluable. I think I have most of the manuals on the market plus QL. The bullet specific manuals such as Nosler, Hornady, and Sierra are ok for load development reference. Same for the Hodgdon magazine. Doing it all over I'd probably just buy the Speer manual and QL since most of the data is available free.

For me, the best manual is Pursuit of the Perfect Cartridge", by Mic McPherson. I learned a lot and understood a lot thanks to him. I studied everything in parallel with my studies in college, it was hard for me. Therefore, when I was asked to write, for example, a birth control essay, I found here useful material. Based on this, I spent much less time. But if you just sit and study the manuals and no one and nothing will distract you, then this process will be much faster than mine.
    I also studied under his guidance.

Last edited:
    I did a quick video yesterday that will help you in some of the buying department.