• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What's the best sling for a mcmillan a5 stock in your opinion?

Johnny Sasaki

Minuteman
I don't even know how I'd go about mounting one, as it seems there's only one sling/bi-pod swivel stud (or whatever you call them), and it's in the front. Obviously the Harris bi-pod has another one underneath it to replace the one it takes up, but there isn't one at the back. I'm guessing I would have to install one?

Here's what I'm working with:

20130602_143812.jpg

I have no idea what these things are btw. My first thought was they were some sort of quick detach sling mount, but I honestly have no idea, and that's just a flat out guess.

20140831_181848.jpg

And this is the back (and bottom) of the stock.

20140831_181922.jpg

It's fairly heavy, so one with a pad or something would be nice, lol.

Thanks for your input in advance. :p

Last edited:
Those are called flush cups. You would get a sling with Push button Swivels or Flush Cup swivels how ever they call them. Check out the SAP sling as well as TAB, FTW or TIS. Short Action Precision (SAP) is my personnel favorite.

The new TAB sling is top notch and will serve you well for many applications. I've got 1 one my .308 that has seen extensive use and is still going strong

I've had a tab sling for several years. Still looks brand new and has held up very well. Will be buying another one for my next build.

Sent from my iPad

Thanks a lot guys.

Edit: I think I'm going with the TAB Elite Biathlon Sling in OD Green (obviously with the flush cups). Thing looks kick-ass, and exactly what I was looking for. Can't believe it's 200 bucks though, lol. Jesus. Hopefully you get what you pay for.

Oh well, you know what they say: Buy once, cry once. :p

Last edited:
Tag for later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMO, Vickers for tactical shit is best but I still don't think the 1907 leather sling has been improved on much since it was made. Turner makes the best ones now that you can't find (or rarely find) military issue 1907 slings with the proper date code. Not all were made the same and some of the "newer" models (made and discontinued in the '80's I think) are some of the best while most "newer" models aren't. A certain 1907 sling in military surplus from 1985 is the best modern leather sling you can buy, at least concerning late manufacture as far as the military goes.

But you can't go wrong with a Turner either at all, which is by all accounts better than almost all of the issue 1907's save maybe some of the older ones (which are likely worn out with time by now). Turner offers softer ones, more rigid ones and I think a synthetic one. The Turner, IMO, is the premier shooting sling by far. But I've been known to carry two slings in the field, both with QD swivels for easy on and off, and I'd carry one tactical/carry sling depending on the application but always pack a leather shooting sling too. On rare occasions with certain rifles, I'll use the 1907 for both carry and shooting.

There's a cheap way to modify or convert an M14 and/or a silent nylon M16 sling that works well as a shooting sling, but based on the rifle you're using it on, I imagine you want to go with a better sling than a $10 surplus DIY 20-50yo. M14 cotton or nylon sling (which I do use on my SDM M4 that's setup almost exactly like it was when I was one and later an instructor). It works like a charm on a little M4 and works well as a shooting sling and as a carry sling alike, replete with places to mark where to lock the keeper based on the shooting position (very fast BTW).

So lots of options, some cheaper than others and some more expensive. But lots of options so sure to find one or two that fit your application. Also note Vickers makes other slings I don't think they advertise and may be able to get them to one-off one for you, or even make one yourself if you have the right sewing machine.

Good luck!

Hey Johnny,

Like Iloveguns said, they're flush cups that are in your stock and you'll need the flush cup swivels.

In my opinion the flush cups were placed perfectly in your stock for a right handed shooter. The back cup will make the stock lay against your back so the bolt handle won't dig into your back. The front swivel will make the sling lay across your hand when you're slung up and won't torque the rifle to the left when the sling is attached to the right side of the stock as bad as it does when it's on the left side.

Concerning the Elite Biathlon Sling, yes, it is expensive but you can purchase the Regular Biathlon Sling and get the same sling only with the Fastex buckles. You don't have to purchase the Elite version to have a great sling. The Cobra buckles alone ad $50.00 to the cost of the sling. The RBS will be a great sling and cheaper too.

With that being said, we sell a lot of the Elite Biathlon Sling, EBS, and have never had a single complaint about the performance of them.

Thank you for considering TAB GEAR products.

Hey Johnny,

Like Iloveguns said, they're flush cups that are in your stock and you'll need the flush cup swivels.

In my opinion the flush cups were placed perfectly in your stock for a right handed shooter.

With that being said, we sell a lot of the Elite Biathlon Sling, EBS, and have never had a single complaint about the performance of them.

Thank you for considering TAB GEAR products.

Well, they're on both sides, so I guess I could even have it setup to have the bolt digging into my back if I want, lol.

And I guess that's good to hear, considering I bought it last night. :)

I have the elite biathlon and love it. The padding it just right for my 13lbs gun. Easy to access if I need to get to my rifle quick and has the shooter loop to help steady my shots.