• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Whats the best way to clean my Brake?

LEOHUNTER

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2012
California
What is the best way to clean my muscle brake? its building up alot of carbon in the ports.....i can take it off, didn't know if was better to clean it with a tooth brush, or take it off and put in some type of cleaner?

Re: Whats the best way to clean my Brake?

Ultrasonic cleaners work awesome and each brand have their own cleaners but the Lyman cleaner and distilled water work well for me.

I pull mine off, hit it with WD40 and scrub the crap out of it... It's built to be hammered, no big deal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Here2Learn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Brake cleaner </div></div>

At first I laughed, I thought you made a funny. Then I realized that brake cleaner is exactly what I use to clean mine as well.

And after the brake is clean(ish), and if your situation allows, spray it with PAM cooking spray. Works on the grill to keep most carbon off; works on barrel accessories too. Regular version; not the Olive Oil variety.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gary Olson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And after the brake is clean(ish), and if your situation allows, spray it with PAM cooking spray. Works on the grill to keep most carbon off; works on barrel accessories too. Regular version; not the Olive Oil variety.</div></div>

Won't the blast blow that away on the first shot?

I use anti-seize inside my suppressor for a similar reason, (in a .22 can) and that will only last a few mags. In that scenario, the gases are way less intense and it's all sealed instead the can so even if the substance is disturbed some of it will re-coat the inside.

Any type of carbon buildup preventative is a crapshoot. Sometimes it works well, sometimes halfway, sometimes not at all. I prefer to think positive.

Hydrogen peroxide... take it off and let it sit in it. It works great.

I've actually used just plain old vinegar to clean a stainless steel compensator ( off a .22 rimfire ). May have taken a day or two to soften the carbon and lead deposits but it worked. It (vinegar) will remove bluing

I then applied a welding anti-spatter paste and spray to help reduce future build up. Whether it helped in reducing build up I'm not sure. I removed the comp shortly afterwards.