• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship What's the free group size phone app?

TheGerman

Oberleutnant
Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2010
    the Westside
    Thought this would be easy to find, but apparently not. Was looking to see what that free (I think?) program people use on their phones that basically measures a group size for you.

Went looking through the app store and its a vast amount of stuff ranging from costly programs that do 1000 things I dont want, to basic group programs that either don't work or are impossible to use.

What is the go to one for taking a picture of your groups and having the MOA, etc calculated?

SubMOA for iPhone works decent once you figure out what the icons mean. Check out YouTube and you’ll find a video that sort of walks you through it.

Range buddy for Andriod is suppose to be really good as well but is not available for iPhone

On Target is the original and most common program used, but it is used from a computer. I think they charge around $5 for the updated version. Range buddy has a free version that is very similar that works for Android phones.

an update to an old thread

Ive been testing a bunch of them recently. on Android you have many to choose between. the ones i have found to 'work' to some degree are :
    Range buddy
    Ballistic
    TargetScan
    Shooters Diary

They all have short commings for me. I like Ballistic but id dosen't (yet) have any journaling/diary capabilities. I find i end up using On Target TDS on the PC instead of messing on the phone.....

-Ian

^^^^^ Ballistic-X is the one the OP is looking for.

Ballistic x needs multiple groups from one image capability, I still use range buddy because of this.

Reactions: chrismartin
    I would like an Android app that did one group from multiple targets.

Like this? Range buddy

No, I have Range Buddy. I've seen an Apple app that lets you combine all the shots of a dot drill into one group.

No, I have Range Buddy. I've seen an Apple app that lets you combine all the shots of a dot drill into one group.
    Oh, with multiple points of aim, I understand your ask. What is the Apple app?

Ballistic x needs multiple groups from one image capability, I still use range buddy because of this.

That would be handy. It is not the end of the world to layer them, but it would be nice to set the scale, range, and caliber once and be done with it.

I like Ballistic but id dosen't (yet) have any journaling/diary capabilities.

Maybe not exactly what you are referring to (?), but it seems like it would be useful to be able to save results, along with notes. Maybe have some way to separate and group them to track performance? Perhaps I am asking too much from a simple app? Just thinking out loud.

Reactions: l33t5p34k
    Ballistic X seems to cost 8,99€. Is it worth of it? Is it just for tracking groups?

Ballistic X is possibly the best phone app for measuring group sizes - good interface and stable. However if you need to keep a history / diary or want to do multiple groups on a single image then it isn't for you. Range Buddy and Shooters Diary are alternatives - neither are as stable nor as easy to use, but they have a bigger functionality footprint.

Might be worth of trying. I tried SubMOA but usability was not so great. I prefer pay some for ease of use!

what it does it does very well. It's very competent at mixing units as well - eg distance to target in meters target size in inches and MOA or whatever mixture you need.

You can layer multiple groups with Ballistic X...

Just do one group at a time and save the picture, then reimport the new picture for the next group. The nice thing on that is you can do multiple calibers in one picture as well.

Reactions: seansmd