• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What's the Hide using to clean their glass?

prskiller

Surfer
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2017
I used to use my lenspen from my ACOG but sold the ACOG and that went with it. I didn't have anything and didn't want to use my shirt but I have a few eyeglass lens microfiber cloth laying around so I used that.

I use a Leupold Lens Pen has a retractable brush and is easily popped into a coat pocket.
There are some excellent lens cloths and brushes available from photographic shops, as well as dedicated scope cleaning kits

First and foremost, you need to irrigate all the shit off the lenses that you can. I recommend keeping it simple...Windex in a spray bottle. Spray that on there liberally and from close range, and a lot of the dirt, rock, metal, AC/DC particles, etc. will be flushed off the lens and out of the lens recess if you do so upside down (the scope, not you).

Windex irrigation is even better than compressed air because 1) it doesn't have any additives that will leave residue on it's own, and (2) it helps to lubricate the particles of crap and buffer them from the lens while they are moving across it.

Only when that's done should you progress to using cloth, cotton balls, swabs, etc. to clean the lens further.

I prefer to clean with 90% isopropyl and/or acetone. Keep the acetone off any rubber seals, etc, and do NOT flush with it. Only swabs.

Always ALWAYS swab from the center outward. The grit and shit that DOESN'T get out of the lens recess will collect at the edges. If you START at the edges, then you are basically electing to abrade the rest of the lens inward. And the swabs are like barrel brushes: it's a one way street.

-Nate

"Duster" compressed gas can or clean, soft bristle brush to gently remove the dust/grit. (See no problem with "hosing" down wet on 100% water-proof optics)
Then a 1/2 cotton ball spun on a Q-tip and slightly soaked with 90% Isopropanol or Windex. As mentioned above, from center outward.
Gently dry and clean with the other half of the cotton ball on another Q tip, also from center outward.

Have been doing that for over 30 years, sometimes daily when optic is in use, and no scratch or abrasion of coating ever.

NEVER use your shirt, kitchen towels, etc. especially not when dry.

Last edited:
Reactions: W8RZ
"Duster" compressed gas can or clean, soft bristle brush to gently remove the dust/grit. (See no problem with "hosing" down wet on 100% water-proof optics)

Yeah, and I shouldn't represent that I've never used air. I keep a can in my shooting gear all the time to blow off a spotting scope, or clean out a stubborn particle or water drop out of an aperture. But I still think fluid is a "best practice".

Now about the waterproof scope thing...WATER is one thing, ACETONE is another. I happily flush the snot out of all lens surfaces with something less than acetone, but I just feel that soaking the locking rings and so forth with something as strong as acetone is asking for trouble.

-Nate

Will acetone hurt lense coatings? It seems pretty harsh/volatile...

The answer, unless you hear it straight from your scope manufacturer, is a resounding no.

Acetone has been an industry standard cleaner for glass elements for about forever, and is used to clean lens elements that are a far sight more expensive than anything in our scopes, coated or uncoated.

It just needs to stay away from anything rubber or plastic. Like stocks, paint (although cerakote and the like will shrug it off), rubber O-rings (but if butyl rubber, probably would be fine), turret seals, etc.

-Nate

Reactions: Bender
Since I do lot's of fiber optic work i have access to lots of good lens cleaning supplies.

100 percent isopropyl is rather cheap and does wonders on lens. The stuff at the drug store is not 100 percent its about 90 %. Still works well.

The wipes we used are handi-wipes/tech wipes for fiber optics 10 bucks for a lifetime supply at the local low voltage fiber optics store in your area. They will have the 100 percent stuff to.

Reactions: Bender
First and foremost, you need to irrigate all the shit off the lenses that you can. I recommend keeping it simple...Windex in a spray bottle. Spray that on there liberally and from close range, and a lot of the dirt, rock, metal, AC/DC particles, etc. will be flushed off the lens and out of the lens recess if you do so upside down (the scope, not you).

Windex irrigation is even better than compressed air because 1) it doesn't have any additives that will leave residue on it's own, and (2) it helps to lubricate the particles of crap and buffer them from the lens while they are moving across it.

Only when that's done should you progress to using cloth, cotton balls, swabs, etc. to clean the lens further.

I prefer to clean with 90% isopropyl and/or acetone. Keep the acetone off any rubber seals, etc, and do NOT flush with it. Only swabs.

Always ALWAYS swab from the center outward. The grit and shit that DOESN'T get out of the lens recess will collect at the edges. If you START at the edges, then you are basically electing to abrade the rest of the lens inward. And the swabs are like barrel brushes: it's a one way street.

-Nate
Windex has ammonia and eats tint? Sure that's safe to use on glass with coatings etc?

Reactions: LG65CM
as someone who owned a video and photography company, yes ALWAYS clean from the center out, it makes a difference over the years

as someone who owned a video and photography company, yes ALWAYS clean from the center out, it makes a difference over the years
Oddly enough that's how we were instructed to clean our "BIG EYES" ships 20 power over sized binoculars. As well as the parabolic reflector in our 12 inch signal lights back in the late 70's

Rubbing alcohol 70%. Don't use Windex. It is not recommended for prescription glasses why would you use it on scope glass. Anyway, it will get pretty dirty before I clean them.

Reactions: deersniper
Rubbing alcohol 70%. Don't use Windex. It is not recommended for prescription glasses why would you use it on scope glass. Anyway, it will get pretty dirty before I clean them.
My problem with 70% is that the water content can bead up and leave spots.

But SLX Denatured is a bad idea because it can have fiberglass additive.

Windex is fine for flushing, and for the record...and it's a yuge difference....almost all ophthalmic lenses are made of one of several plastics.

Scope lenses, even the shit-tastic Chicom paintball scope in your trash drawer from when you were a wee tike, are all a version of glass.

Last edited:
The water blends with the alcohol and evaporates. 90% will evaporate too quick. My eye doctor gave me a bottle of branded glass cleaner than told me to refill with 70%. Water builds up in your gas tank. Pour a bottle of 70 or 90% in the tank to blend the water with the gas and allow it to become combustible. We don't do that anymore because they add ethanol now. But this is the Hide and if somebody bottled and labeled rubbing alcohol specifically for scopes he can probably sell small bottles for $19.98. They don't call it rubbing alcohol for nothing.

Reactions: Jb6101
Are these good to go for field cleaning?
image.jpg

buy a box open a packet and smell it and i bet its rubbing alcohol thats packaged for Zeiss...and with Zeiss printed on the box im pretty sure its ok to use.
It is. They also work fine for hand wipes. They are all over my gear so I always can find one in a hurry.

Just be careful you don't leave the ripped open packets all over the place....those square wrappers..

Y
The water blends with the alcohol and evaporates. 90% will evaporate too quick. My eye doctor gave me a bottle of branded glass cleaner than told me to refill with 70%. Water builds up in your gas tank. Pour a bottle of 70 or 90% in the tank to blend the water with the gas and allow it to become combustible. We don't do that anymore because they add ethanol now. But this is the Hide and if somebody bottled and labeled rubbing alcohol specifically for scopes he can probably sell small bottles for $19.98. They don't call it rubbing alcohol for nothing.
You speak in theoreticals, yet I know in truths.

90% is fine. 70% is too, but it DOES water bead on the objective lens, regardless of what your Optometrist told you.

I'd be lying if I said I had not used all of the above, but again, we're answering questions in 'ideals'.

The Zeiss wipes left my prescription glasses completely ruined within about 2 years. For my next pair I switched to washing them with dish soap and water or alcohol based lens cleaner and a soft cotton cloth - replacement pair of glasses still look new after 2 years. I don't trust the Zeiss wipes after that experience.

Reactions: Ravenyzf-r6
The Zeiss wipes left my prescription glasses completely ruined within about 2 years. For my next pair I switched to washing them with dish soap and water or alcohol based lens cleaner and a soft cotton cloth - replacement pair of glasses still look new after 2 years. I don't trust the Zeiss wipes after that experience.

What exactly about the Zeiss wipes caused your lenses to be ruined?

There are many good answers here. What we do at the shop is:
Simply put- heavy particulates use a water flush or mild detergent flush with lens being cleaned facing down
. Light particulates can be sprayed off with air. It should be mentioned that in no circumstance should you ever use on a hot lens or shake or turn the air can upside down as the sudden freezing air from the propellant can crack the lens being cleaned. I use air as a last resort and only with precautions.
Once all particulates are removed you can use high quality acetone found at hardware stores- not your wife's fingernail polish remover. I use sterile, lint free swabs from a company called texwipe. These work great and I have been using them for 18 years with no problems. Shake off the excess acetone and as stated many times above start at center and work your way out to the edge, then clean your swab by swishing it around in the acetone, repeat until lens is clean, I change swabs out after every few swipes since they are cheap and if they have caught any particulates you don't want them scratching the lens.
There may still be some smaller spots that acetone just can't seem to get off, these are usually water spots or on ocular lenses where someone may have sneezed on it, these spots can be removed either by breathing on them or applying a little bit of spit and then using the swab. Spit and breathing on these little spots will work as long as you swab while the area is still wet. Then clean with acetone again and those spots should disappear.

I don't like using wipes as some of the material can be abrasive and over time can cause microscopic scratches that eventually turn into visible deformations in the coating. Many times these wipes will cause visible scratches in plastic lenses like eyeglasses so that tells me they have some porosity to them.
On any quality lens quality acetone is a fine cleaner and will not harm the lens or coatings. At least every scope I have cleaned in 18 years never had a problem with acetone and it is the standard for the scope industry.

I use the Leupold Lens pen brush, and buy a generic equivalent of the wet lens wipes in bulk for my optics and also for my plastic eyeglass lenses which are especially subject to scratches. Since I can't use bifocals, I need to carry two pairs of glasses and lens cleaning becomes an occupational hazard, especially with all that dust here in the AZ High Desert. There can be abrasion issue with some dry wipes, but optician advice these days is to clean the lenses wet so dust can't do its worst.

Dust is the real problem.

If my memory serves, Acetone was cleared for optical cleanser use on many lens and optically transparent window coatings. Not sure about all of them. We had a lot of coatings applications back then at Razdow Labs. We also produced the Apollo Command Module Windows. Back then our coatings were applied using Vacuum Evaporative Deposition at Spectrum Labs.

Greg

Last edited:
A few comment: lens pen works well when it is new. Overtime, it accumulates abrasive material and basically becomes very fine sandpaper.

Windex is not really a very good thing to use on coated optics. Some coatings resist it just fine, while others do not. What is als important is that Windex gets into the smallest gaps and corrodes seals.

Acetone is mostly safe, but try to not get it onto any seals.

Never clean a lend dry.

ILya

Avoid cleaning in the field, only do when really dirty and you need to. I keep a lenspen, in a bag nowhere near other cleaning supplies so it doesn't get oily. But I use it once every two years.

At home, have a small bottle of Windex and a box of KimWipes. Speciality optical cleaning tissues. Probably others work as well like the Zeiss ones, but these are a known item to me from scanning and photo stuff I did at Hallmark years ago so I stuck with them.

Were they glass lenses or some type of plastic/polymer?

I'm a total spaz when it comes to keeping glass from becoming dirty in the first place....so it is very rare when I need to clean.

Even the most basic shooting in a clean environment on a bench you will eventually get small particles on the glass and it will build up. NEVER wipe it or brush it as a first step. Just moving abrasives around on the lens. Instead, wash it off with some gentle clean water flow. Get as much off as possible that way. Don't use compressed air, that just blasts particles around that etch marks into the glass. Think sandblast effect.

Once as much crap is removed as possible...lens pen brush is fine, or zeiss wipe being very gentle. Wipe is better as you can use one part of the wipe per pass so as to not keep wiping with the contaminates. Brush becomes contaminated quickly and then is impossible to clean. You'll be forced to use some kind of chemical based cleaner if you expect to remove anything oily or greasy such as finger prints. Regular wiping just smears it around and polishes the oil onto the lens. Soap is no good, leaves a film....

Watching a few "how it is made" and "factory tour" videos from several high-end optics manufactuers, several use cotton swabs with acetone to clean lenses before assembling them. I would confirm with manufacturer first as different companies have different coatings and also the objective and ocular lens may very well have different coatings than the internal lenses and they may clean these differently.

Many companies will say they have super tough coatings and not to worry about it. I'm sure they're tough, but at the same time I imagine they can be worn down or degraded. Professionals who are either sponsorted, or military/police may not care as much as a $3,500 scope isn't coming out of their pocket and they have procurement schedules that replaces equipment. So their standards may not be what you want your standards to be.

Reactions: kujuak
I am an UW photographer and have used 'Kimwipes' (Kimtech) and you buy them by the (small) box (B&H Photo carries these). Along with these I use Vision Care' s Anti-Reflective, Anti-Static Glass or Plastic Lens Cleaner (comes in a small spray bottle); Zeiss (mentioned earlier) makes something similar, for years on my (expensive)camera lenses. Start, as others have said, with Luepold's lens pen. & as others have posted, start from the center and work toward the edges.

I put some Kimwipes and my cleaning fluid in a zippie and it goes in my kit, to the range or field. Here is a tip- don't clean your lenses unless they need to be cleaned.

I would not use Windex.

Reactions: Apnea