• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What's the issue?

Jayhawkhuntclub

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2019
So I have this Viper gen II 5-25 in Burris signature rings (ones with plastic inserts). And about every 50 shots my POI shifts up or down significantly (0.5-2 mils).
Everything is tight. Just a 6.5 CM. Does this sound like a scope issue or do you think my rings are shifting? BTW, the shifts are sudden (no obvious slippage over a series of shots).

Confirm your base mount is not loose or moving on you. I suspect that if you have a ring problem the ring shifts will not be as repeatable as you describe. If above inquiries don’t pan out for you I’d suspect/check the scope next.

When I say 50 rounds, that's approximately. Don't know what more I can tell you about the rifle other than it's a RPR and I'm shooting from an atlas bipod and rear bag. Also never said it was repeatable (as in the same amount of shift). Seems to me, if it were the rings, it would be more gradual. Obviously, I'm not sure. I'm probably going to have to switch rings. Didn't want to since I have no extra 30mm laying around. I guess I steal some off my 22lr.
Thanks.

Have you torn everything down including the rifle and reassembled it with the correct torque values?