• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Whats the most accurate 5.56 barrel for a 18" SPR

Re: Whats the most accurate 5.56 barrel for a 18" SPR

^^^ interested in the results of the Navy SPR from Fulton. Almost bought one myself.

I think any of the manufacturers listed will be great, but as I was looking for the exact same things, I kept hearing Douglas by Compass Lake, Kreiger, Rock Creek, WOA, Lilja, Loather and BCM... about in that order. I waited on a Rainier Match for a few months, got tired of waiting and grabbed a DMPS SPR to play with until I can get something else..... not what I planned on, but 18" SPR profile barrels seem to be in high demand.

Sound's like I need to give Wes a call.

When you and your buddies life depends on it, Noveske. Been through mud, dust, rain, snow, bangs and drops and never a single problem. It fired every time the trigger was pulled, I will never buy another upper again. The first time I put the upper on we zeroed it at 100m then ran it out to 800m shooting at reactive e-type silhouettes. 8 targets 8 hits, best money ever spent before a deployment, other than my Mystery Ranch SATL and my Asolo's, but that is a different story. If you want quality, that won't disappoint, buy the Noveske.

IMG_0485_2_3.jpg

IMG_0095.jpg

Accurate for what? What distances are you planning on shooting? Just plinking at the range, bench rest competition, etc? Any of about a dozen rifle barrel makers will make a barrel that is capable of sub 1/2 moa groups.

I have shot almost every quality barrel mentioned in this thread except for the Satern. I will tell you that most will shoot a MK 262 style load better than the shooter behind the rifle. While I will give a slight nod to the WOA for producing the smallest groups consistently I will say the Noveske is simply the most forgiving barrel ever!! Cleaning, break-in whatever they just shoot forever it is a truly professional grade barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tactrainer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you checked out JP enterprises. They are doing a couple unique things, one they have rifle length gas port on 18" and an adjustable gas block. </div></div>

That's what I have on one of my guns. Shoots everything well, 223 77smk for distance shooting the best, over 556 loadings.

The adjustable gas and LMOS take an accurate gun and make it a fast gun on target.

Easy to clean, cryo'd, and available with the heat dissapator. Sweet set-up.

Guess it comes down to personal choice. Each company listed makes great product, no guarantee you are going to have the most accurate one made.

An update to my post from two months ago. I did buy a Noveske 18" SPR and am extremely pleased with it. It is well built and the bore cleans up easily.

The worst group I have shot with it is 1.5 MOA (77 gr Noslers), 69 gr SMKs over 24.5 grs of RE-15 are consistently giving me 1/2 MOA. The 75 gr Hornady BTHP has shown great promise as well but I want to try some other powders. I have 200 77 SMKs but haven't had the time to load them up yet.

I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

My HCS Mk12Mod01 contract barrel enables me to shoot 1/4 MOA. Really happy with their product.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rkaires</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just purchased a Navy SPR barrel from Fulton. They are contract overruns from the U.S. Navy, made from Douglas Premium blanks. I'll let you know how it is when I get it on.

http://www.fulton-armory.com/barreldouglas18navysprcm1x8threaded.aspx

</div></div>

<span style="color: #3333FF"><span style="font-family: 'Century Gothic'">Explain something to me here... My research of the Mk12 Mod 0 rifle indicates that it's a 1/7" twist Douglas barrel as it should be given that all of the light arms of the US military seems to be geared for the compatability of ammo theory in the 5.56mm anyway and thus are 1/7" barrels.

Where then did this 1/8" twist come in??? And how could Fulton be selling "Navy contract overrun Douglas barrels that are 1/8" twist? Shouldn't they be 1/7"??
confused.gif

Someone please advise as I'm building up my build parts and want to have this figured out b/f I buy a barrel which is next.
confused.gif
If you don't mind PM or email me the answer as well, I'd appreciate it.
thanks
t </span> <span style="font-size: 11pt"> </span> </span>

I think 1/7 is the way to go

But hey, there are plenty of folks that find great results with 1/8.

It's been my expirence that twist is like gas. Bad results with not enough, not a big deal with a little extra.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uktabber</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rkaires</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just purchased a Navy SPR barrel from Fulton. They are contract overruns from the U.S. Navy, made from Douglas Premium blanks. I'll let you know how it is when I get it on.

http://www.fulton-armory.com/barreldouglas18navysprcm1x8threaded.aspx

</div></div>

<span style="color: #3333FF"><span style="font-family: 'Century Gothic'">Explain something to me here... My research of the Mk12 Mod 0 rifle indicates that it's a 1/7" twist Douglas barrel as it should be given that all of the light arms of the US military seems to be geared for the compatability of ammo theory in the 5.56mm anyway and thus are 1/7" barrels.

Where then did this 1/8" twist come in??? And how could Fulton be selling "Navy contract overrun Douglas barrels that are 1/8" twist? Shouldn't they be 1/7"??
confused.gif

Someone please advise as I'm building up my build parts and want to have this figured out b/f I buy a barrel which is next.
confused.gif
If you don't mind PM or email me the answer as well, I'd appreciate it.
thanks
t </span> <span style="font-size: 11pt"> </span> </span> </div></div>

No sure about MK12 mod 0's but it is my understanding that USMC issued MK12's come in a 1:8 twist. Also the SEAL Recon rifle, built by SEAL team armorers, are 1:8 as well.

what is this SEAL recon rifle? what the fuck are you guys talking about? there is a 10" a 14" and a 18" that is it

*Kicks back and POPs a Beer for the fun to begin*

BTW my Douglas SPR barrel shoots great. I'm getting .75moa at 100yds with Hon 75gr bthp over 24.5gr AA2520 seated to 2.260. This was with my USO SN12 scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what is this SEAL recon rifle? what the fuck are you guys talking about? there is a 10" a 14" and a 18" that is it </div></div>

From Wikipedia,

Built in-house by U.S. Navy SEAL Team armorers, and later by the Naval Surface Warfare Center, Crane Division (often referred to as NSWC-Crane or "Crane"), the SEAL Recon Rifle was developed to provide SEAL snipers with a portable, lightweight system with greater lethality than a standard M4 carbine. The SEAL Recon Rifle is sometimes referred to as the "Recce Rifle".

When production of this rifle was turned over to NSWC-Crane, U.S. Army funding and concepts were apparently incorporated into the program (there is some confusion as to the exact events). The SEAL Teams were apparently disappointed with the performance of the resulting Mk 12 Special Purpose Rifle (SPR), and convinced the program managers at Crane to return to the original specifications. Production of "Recon Rifles" on the original pattern is progressing now according to several sources.
Specifications

According to Wes Grant of M.S.T.N. a premiere small arms builder, these weapons were initially built in-house with the only specifications being the ability to shoot any 5.56 x 45 mm cartridge in inventory (at the time this included the first iterations of the 77-grain (5 g) Mk 262 Mod 0 cartridge), and that the weapon have a barrel 16 inches (406 mm) in length.

The barrel blanks are made by Lilja Precision and then chambered by Compass Lake. They have a 1:8 in (203 mm) twist and are stainless steel. They have a unique heavy barrel profile, starting with 0.980 in (25 mm) in diameter for the first 2.60 in (66 mm) of length, then narrowing down to 0.850 (22 mm) in diameter, 0.750 in (19 mm) in diameter underneath the front sight block, and 0.725 in (18 mm) in diameter to the muzzle. The barrels have the Ops Inc 12th model suppressors with the specified muzzle brake to mount the suppressor. A rifle-length gas system is used. These barrels were mated to flat top upper receivers, and back up iron sights (BUIS) from KAC (knight armament corp).

the biggest bunch of horseshit EVER wikepedia is never wrong... (sarcasm).

And there you go Joe....you evidently don't know shit :p

"confusion of exact events"

"according to several sources" (yeah all the companies marketing recce rifles)

"According to Wes Grant of M.S.T.N. a premiere small arms builder" ( i rest my case)

if crane built 1-2 i cannot say but i a little wet bird told me that there are no 16" (recce) rifles on the east or west coast and haven't been in the last 10-14 years... so.... i mean i don't know that is just coming from a couple guys who ran the mk12 project, and have been NSW for about 18+ years a piece.... but what do they know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"confusion of exact events"

"according to several sources" (yeah all the companies marketing recce rifles)

"According to Wes Grant of M.S.T.N. a premiere small arms builder" ( i rest my case)

if crane built 1-2 i cannot say but i a little wet bird told me that there are no 16" (recce) rifles on the east or west coast and haven't been in the last 10-14 years... so.... i mean i don't know that is just coming from a couple guys who ran the mk12 project, and have been NSW for about 18+ years a piece.... but what do they know. </div></div>

Your still wrong. Now back into the cage in your mothers basement!

This is going to be good! I'll take butter on my popcorn please.

I have a Rock River 16" Elite Operator 2 that I got in my tacticool phase. Now that I have a PRS and Giessele SSA-E trigger, I can get ~0.7 MOA out to 250 with handloads consistently. I believe Douglas makes their barrels but am not 100% on that.

My understanding is that the Recce rifle is dead as it was OBE when the SPR came online. Now the SPR is no more in favor of 7.62 platforms....

Funny how both were such a big deal back when the fight was urban and now are deadlined.

I think what many people forget, both the barrel & brake (or in the case of a WOA barrel - brakeless) effect accuracy. Douglass/Ops (short gun) & Lilja/Badger (long gun) are hard to beat.

Just my .02

Do those special SEAL rifles come in a special order 'Navy cut', with a tube of product to make them cooler on mission?
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Linebacker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think what many people forget, both the barrel & brake (or in the case of a WOA barrel - brakeless) effect accuracy.</div></div>How?

According to Lilja the barrels they first made were 17". So we have wikipedia saying 16", Lilja saying 17" and BigJoe saying 18".

So is it BigJoe>Lilja>Wikipedia or ????

".975" diameter for 2" then a radius down to .850" diameter to the .750" diameter gas block section. From the gas block to the muzzle the diameter is .725". Barrel length is 17" including the M4-type barrel extension and the M4 barrels are furnished with a .500" x 28 TPI x .600" long threaded muzzle. The gas system is carbine-length. This barrel profile is an exact copy of one we've made for the US Navy SEALS. Weight is 2.18 pounds. Engraved: Lilja M4 .223 8T."

lol, too funny. i'll tell you what i'll go measure one when i get back. will that help?

I am certain BigJoe is correct; but I'd like to see AJ Brown here for the close!

i do believe that the early mod-0's could've been 17" lilja but the new mod1's are not.

when the project came on they built about 15 diferent variants doesn't mean that is was widely used.

I've spent plenty of years in and out of USASOC arms rooms and have never seen a 16" barrel on M-anything.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Linebacker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've spent plenty of years in and out of USASOC arms rooms and have never seen a 16" barrel on M-anything. </div></div>
You guys and these fn acronyms; DWI and DUI was hard enough!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i do believe that the early mod-0's could've been 17" lilja but the new mod1's are not.

when the project came on they built about 15 diferent variants doesn't mean that is was widely used. </div></div>

BigJoe,

You seem to be in the know about these things whats the skinny on the twist? I.E. 1/8 over 1/7, Etc

Thanks

to my knowledge was they were and are intended to use the 77grn mk262 the barrel is what testing showed worked best. I am by no means a twist, grain, round expert. I am learning that all myself

I've heard the same, also was told 1/7 was for the longer tracer rounds. 1/8 will handle anything up to 80grs. I shoot 77gr SMKs with good results through my BCM MK12 which is 1/8. Still i'd rather have a faster twist rate as opposed to a slow twist rate. While the 1/7 might over stabilize some of the real light 5.56 bullets, 55-90gr should be applicable.

More Indian than arrow, but Specialized Dynamics' uppers are all I shoot now.

ever mk12 ever issued to the military regardless of branch has a douglas blank/compass lake turned 18" stainless 1-7(ish) twist barrel. when they say 1-7 it could actually be 1-6.5 to 1-7.5 twist and still be considered 1-7.
all the mk12's have 18" barrels PERIOD. not 17" but 18". the only exception is on this SOF custom ordered thru pri. heres an actual mk12 mod0, jihad stopping, taliban dropping upper. note the gen 1 tube, straight top rail with two picatinny slots up front, and wheeled front sight. all of these are hard to find and no longer produced.
MK12Mod0003.jpg

MK12Mod0001.jpg

the barrel fulton armory lists as navy contract overrun is actually a douglas blank with a 1-7.7 twist which is now the standard for the mk12, as to better stabilize the 62gr bullets (which it wasn't designed to do but in a pinch) as well as the 77's. i have one of the their contract barrels and before i bought it, i spoke with the gentlemen at fulton who put me on to the actual supplier so i could get some of my questions answered.

the closest to actual combat issued mk12 uppers are built by high caliber sales. they have been involved with the mk12/spr throughout and build the most accurate dependable uppers available to civilians.

i have a few mk12 mod0's and I've found different builders do different things better. i own one built by pri, one adco, two high caliber built uppers and two i assembled myself from parts.

pri is good, made with douglas/cle barrel and mil spec components 9/10
adco is good too but uses a white oak barrel,sub moa but i prefer douglas 8.5/10
high caliber uses only douglas barrels, colt uppers, lmt full auto carriers, just like the military does 10/10
one assembled by me with fulton navy barrel and rainier arms upper/bolt carrier, great with 68-75gr bullets 9/10
other assembled by me with douglas/cle barrel, colt upper and lmt fa bolt group, and original pri wheeled sight, my favorite 10/10

I'm not saying that i know everything there is to know about mk12's, I'm just saying i did a lot of homework on the mod0 and I've tested all of mine on the bench and in the field and this is what I've found to be the facts. any 223 rifle that can hit a man's sized head (8" round) at ranges greater than 700 yards with 10/10 shots is accurate in my book. all of the above listed uppers have done this, some with more consistency than others.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
"According to Wes Grant of M.S.T.N. a premiere small arms builder" ( i rest my case)</div></div>

OK, now you've gone and really hurt my feelings.

These rifles have been built by the DevGroup civilian armorers with a variety of barrels (Krieger-CLE, Lilja, etc.) since the late nineties.