• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Whats the most common shooting position?

Ultraman550

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2011
Utah
I know a lot of people shoot prone and offhand. What types of shooting areas do you guys most frequent? Do you shoot mostly on flat land, do you shoot down hill, shoot up hill? I'm wondering about uphill because the area I have to shoot there is a lot of flat land. I'm talking about 1-3 degree inclines which isn't anything, just what you need to angle the gun for 550 yard plus shots. Problem is I don't have a spotter to tell me where the bullet hits when I miss and I'm not good enough yet to keep the gun steady 100% of the time so I can see through the scope where the bullet lands, shooting a .308 that tends to jump right. I found a spot up on a hill where i can set up a steel target and get to about 400 yards and Ill be able to see the dust cloud on misses. It's pretty high up relative to where I'd be shooting so I was wondering if you more experienced guys don't really shoot in these types of conditions, that being noticeably uphill.

Re: Whats the most common shooting position?

Do you have a good break? It helps with spotting our own.

I try as many dif shooting position as long as it is prone.

I was taught to take the lowest position that intervening foliage allows, seeking the steadiest position that still affords a clear shot.

In practice, the steadiest and quickest position I'm usually able to manage is kneeling. Most of my deer have been taken from the knee. When truck hunting 'Chucks, exiting the cab through the offside door, crossing the road and setting up in the opposite ditch, has also delivered a few impromptu shots that scored.

I will usually pass up an uphill shot. I don't like the potential for a miss that goes long. I figure that despite my best efforts, misses are a reality.

Greg

I think all of us would like to shoot prone for every shot. But, all 5 of my PSR training classes point out that in real lfe, due to terrain features (foliage, uneven terrain etc), the perfect prone shot is available rarely. I, for one, stink at shooting off-hand, kneeling etc. That's why I practice those positions.

I use whatever position that gives me the steadiest rest. I've never taken a shot on animals from the prone. Seem to be sitting or kneeling using a tree as support for pretty much all shots where I hunt.

I think they were talking about a little longer shot that takes less time to reload. LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: luckydube56</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Missionary </div></div>

It's not the position that's most common, it's what's common with all good positions, which is to use bone and artificial support to transfer the stability of the ground into the position.

Most common shooting position is probably from a bench. Best shooting position is METT-TC dependent, i.e. situational. But the one thing that rings true is support, creating a sturdy base via bone or artificial support. Support is the first thing you need to get off an accurate shot.

4 Fundamentals of Marksmanship
- Steady Position
- Sight Picture
- Breathing
- Trigger Squeeze

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RedGoat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most common shooting position is probably from a bench. Best shooting position is METT-TC dependent, i.e. situational. But the one thing that rings true is support, creating a sturdy base via bone or artificial support. Support is the first thing you need to get off an accurate shot.

4 Fundamentals of Marksmanship
- Steady Position
- Sight Picture
- Breathing
- Trigger Squeeze</div></div>

The elements of a steady position are: bone/artificial support, muscular relaxation, and NPA. There are five factors of a solid position: non firing hand, elbows, grip, butt to shoulder, and stockweld. Breathing is no longer listed as a factor since science suggests shooters will shoot during their natural respiratory pause if not distracted by instruction on breathing. One more thing, current basic marksmanship breaks execution of the two firing tasks down to two principles: sight alignment and trigger control. Everything else supports these two concepts. Since a new shooter can be overwhelmed by it all, proper training breaks it down into five steps. First, shoulder the rifle and align sights cognisant of the five factors of a steady position but without consideration of the target. Next, adjust NPA for desired sight picture. Then, focus on front sight (irons), and pull trigger SMOOTHLY. Finally, while pulling trigger, prepare to follow through, maintaining aim and keeping trigger depressed until recoil subsides.

Most of my shots in a real life hunting enviroment is either sitting / kneeling or a standing position with a rest. our country has way to much sagebrush for a prone shot. 90 pect of the time it is not a option.

look at a hogs saddle with a tripod.. I am going to try this and see if it helps out or just a mess. with a heavy rifle a kneeling shot is hard in a fast situation...

Will keep you informed..

Probably the most common is shooting from the bench. Not very practacl, but go to any range, that's where most people shoot.

Prone is probably the most accurate, except for me. I can shoot a good tight setting position better.

Setting may not be practicl, though it faster then people give it credit for. As Capt Edward Crossman said (a long time ago), its steady and fast and should be used more in the field. Many people pop a few rounds at game standing, Crossman says it would be more effective to take that time and drop into the setting position.

When I hunt prone and setting isn't practical. You drop in the prone or setting position the critter is hid by brush or what ever.

Kneeling would be a good comformise. As I said, I shoot better setting, but I'd like to see the NRA/CMP do away with setting and replace it with kneeling. Giving us more insentive to practice kneeling.

More then once while antelope hunting I drop into a good setting position then have to move up to kneeling to see what I'm shooting at.

Kneeling is also better when shooting from cover, faster then prone.

Of course situations dictates position, but there are more situations where kneeling would work.

Now I guess I should go outside and practice my kneeling.