What's the most stupid thing you've been told?

LeftyJason

Thumbnail-les
Belligerents
Minuteman
  • Mar 8, 2017
    Kaysville Utah
    When the “what’s the stupidest thing you’ve ever heard thread” becomes a serious discussion about the stupidest thing you’ve ever heard...
    This isn't the first time. Did you not read the hullabaloo about fluted barrel strength and stiffness? It'll die down eventually.

Reactions: 308pirate

Dthomas3523

Hall Monitor
    Staff member
    Hessian
    Commercial Supporter
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Online Training Access
  • Jan 31, 2018
    South Texas
    I don't know, I think a good 45 acp through the skull will do as much damage as the devastating 22LR. I think the exit wound will take care of most of the brain matter for which we are speaking about.
    Thats what I said.

seanh

Fucktard Ring ldr
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Sep 7, 2011
    Houston, TX
    My son and I at the .22 rimfire range. In addition to our .22LR rifle, we pulled out a 25.cal Air Rifle:

Range officer: "What caliber is that air rifle?"
    Me: "It's a .25 cal pellet Air Rifle."
    Range Officer: "This rimfire range is rated for .22 rimfires only. You are going to have to pack up and keep the Air Rifle unless it is .22 cal or smaller. "

I had no idea how to explain to my 9 year old son the RO's rationale above...
    Which 25 caliber air rifle? You sending heavy slugs or pellets? How fast? If it's one of the older 25 calibers it probably has less power than your typical 22 Rimfire. However nowadays, that modern 25 caliber PCP gun can have a more energy than the 22lr.

Maybe go talk to range owner / manager?

frank320

Sergeant of the Hide
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Apr 8, 2019
    Which 25 caliber air rifle? You sending heavy slugs or pellets? How fast? If it's one of the older 25 calibers it probably has less power than your typical 22 Rimfire. However nowadays, that modern 25 caliber PCP gun can have a more energy than the 22lr.

Maybe go talk to range owner / manager?
    It was the FX impact MK2 25 cal shooting 34gr pellets at 900fps for about 62fpe. .22lr generally have about twice the energy at 120fpe or more, so our .25 cal pellet rifle was definitely well below the power limits.

I eventually brought it up at a meeting and got the green light.

seanh

Fucktard Ring ldr
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Sep 7, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Nice gun... and definitely within reason on power. Glad you were able to get things straightened out. These days you just don't know the intelligence of people.

dspjaggar

Sergeant of the Hide
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Jul 20, 2018
    29 palms ca
    the most stupid thing i've been told is that "love makes the world go 'round" and "money isn't everything"

as far as shooting goes, "it's ok, the safety is on"

Had a friends brother flag me with a condition 1 ak with a drum mag on, I asked him if he could not point it my way when its loaded, insert "the safety is on". I ask him if he wants me pointing mine at him, his brother stepped in and unfucked him

alwaywatchyoursix

Extra Private
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Aug 10, 2017
    Folsom, CA
    Once had a guy tell me that if you don't take coriolis effect into account you'll never be able to hit anything at 100 meters or farther.

Fortunately this was at a big-box gun store, so I was able to just turn around and walk away.

HessV10

Private
    Minuteman
    Jul 11, 2020
    Me and my pops took an older fella we know to the range with us and after we had an eye on him for a minute just to make sure he had the basics of gun safety under control we set him up and let him shoot a couple things. He decided to shoot our .300 RUM and got him self set up on a bench and sent 3 down range. By the third one I realized he had no target downrange on that bench and was just shooting into the berm. At this moment he turns to me and dad and proclaims “this thing sure is accurate! All the bullets are going in the same spot in the dirt” truth is stranger than fiction sometimes

Jordanwickham

Sergeant of the Hide
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    May 3, 2020
    Southwest VA
    I was at a pistol class near a large metropolitin area where the instructor stated that the most effective self defense 45ACP ammo is 230 grain ball type because, according to his wife that works the local emergency room, wounds from that round were way worse than the other gunshot wounds they see.
    I'd be asking the coroner, not someone who works on the ones that got away.

308pirate

Gunny Sergeant
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
  • Apr 25, 2017
    It seems that these days everyone is taught to shoot Hollywood style with the left hand (if right handed) at the toe of the stock instead of gripping the fore-end or bearing down on the scope where it should be. It can work where there is little recoil but really comes unstuck with something hefty. I agree with Nathan Foster whose article 'Hold that Fore-end' is well worth reading.

STLSteve

Private
    Minuteman
    "Rack, drop, squeeze" - Company SGM decided to give range safety brief one morning. At the second word half of people at the range were either on the ground or seeking cover. Luckily he had the pistol pointed down range at the squeeze. ND got the battalion a new "special projects NCO" and us a new company SGM.

Last edited:

Hawkeyemm

Private
    Hessian
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Online Training Access
    Apr 30, 2013
    Kansas
    A neighbor of mine...
    “You screwed me. You said you would sight my rifle in when you mounted the scope.” (For free)

“No, I said I would bore sight it.”

“Right! And you obviously didn’t cause I missed a deer last night”

“I said I would bore sight it. And I did.”

“So why did I miss it?!?”

Very long pause....

“There are a lot of potential reasons why you missed. But, let’s start with the most obvious...”

Hawkeyemm

Private
    Hessian
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Online Training Access
    Apr 30, 2013
    Kansas
    My gun shoots minute of deer. (Or minute of man, or coyote, or whatever dumb ass, nonsensical term you want to use)

Reactions: 308pirate

soap11x

Private
    Minuteman
    Aug 13, 2020
    Shit, customers tell me a bunch of dumb "facts": A blueprinted 700 action is better than defiance action. 308 is the most accurate round. 50BMG is the most accurate round. Out of the box Axis can shoot 1400 yards easy. A Franchi rifle is superior to any Bergara (this happened today).

308pirate

Gunny Sergeant
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
  • Apr 25, 2017
    Shit, customers tell me a bunch of dumb "facts": A blueprinted 700 action is better than defiance action. 308 is the most accurate round. 50BMG is the most accurate round. Out of the box Axis can shoot 1400 yards easy. A Franchi rifle is superior to any Bergara (this happened today).
    I love confirmation bias

eastexsteve

Sergeant of the Hide
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Nov 18, 2018
    NE Texas
    "A .308 cannot make it to 1000 yards....."

Told this on the phone when trying to order a Tikka Master Sporter from a company that sold many of them serval years ago.. some of you know them well....
    That is as inversely stupid as the one I heard yesterday. "This particular 30-30 rifle has taken many deer over 500 yards."

danatkins

Private
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Mar 28, 2017
    My best friend told me the other day when I was getting ready for a match. "I could shoot that with my ar15 it's got bdc dots for out to 600"
    My response dude you won't even see a target the size of a prairie dog at 600 with 4x let alone hit it.
    "OH i can do it"
    Okay bud

eastexsteve

Sergeant of the Hide
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Nov 18, 2018
    NE Texas
    My best friend told me the other day when I was getting ready for a match. "I could shoot that with my ar15 it's got bdc dots for out to 600"
    My response dude you won't even see a target the size of a prairie dog at 600 with 4x let alone hit it.
    "OH i can do it"
    Okay bud
    I can't tell you how many times I've heard the story: "(I, my dad, brother, buddy, etc you pick one) killed a deer with an open sight (you pick the gun) offhand standing as the deer was running, and he had to of been at least 500 yards away!"

For some reason, 500 seems to be that magic distance where you just can't miss.

308pirate

Gunny Sergeant
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
  • Apr 25, 2017
    "OH i can do it"
    Okay bud
    Should have asked him to come along with you. Just to hear the excuses...….

hlee

Sergeant
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Jul 14, 2012
    TX
    "OH i can do it"
    Okay bud
    “I shot a mile today with my 150gr FMJ ammo.”
    “Shoot” and “hit” are 2 very different things. Related, but different...

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm

M8541Reaper

Frozen Sour Patch Kid Cult Leader
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
  • Jul 23, 2011
    Belgium
    “Shoot” and “hit” are 2 very different things. Related, but different...
    I know, which when I asked if he meant hit, of course they did. I asked what the hold was and it was “we held over”. Spotter was free-handing what ATB Walmart binos while spotting. I asked how big the target was and they said it “wasn’t that big.” When I asked about the distance and if they have an LRF, he said they drove it (as in their odometer).

This was from a friend that showed me pics from their day shooting. Honestly I was jealous that I didn’t have access to a mile long stretch lol

Essentially dudes who don’t know anything bragging about how they were shooting at a mile (and implying effects on target).

I’m not one to burst bubbles and usually just say “that’s pretty cool man.” Brain cells are killed regardless.

hlee

Sergeant
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Jul 14, 2012
    TX
    Well, we all have friends and family that are full of shit. It was my dad that would hit me with the “I ain’t much for shooting targets, but a deer...” Even as a fledgling marksman of less than 10 I knew he was full of shit. Even though I didn't now what "full of shit" meant at the time...

Then again, I never saw him miss. Off-hand at a sprinting buck? Sure you hit him. Found the deer laying in the middle of the ranch road the next morning. 400 yards, across a canyon, laid out over the cab of a pickup? (Hunting from a vehicle on private property is legal in TX.) Buck didn't even take a step. But, we'd all scoff at his "groups" if you could call them that...

Reactions: M8541Reaper

jtackmann

Bad@Shooting
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Jul 30, 2019
    Durham, NC
    "Why do you spend all that money on a so called precision rifle? My $600 hunting setup puts 5 shots at 200y all in the same hole. Your AI will never be able to do that consistently" -family member that only hunts

308pirate

Gunny Sergeant
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
  • Apr 25, 2017
    "Why do you spend all that money on a so called precision rifle? My $600 hunting setup puts 5 shots at 200y all in the same hole. Your AI will never be able to do that consistently" -family member that only hunts
    LOL