• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing What's this "screw" in an M1A receiver?

Gene Poole

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2011
Brighton, IL
This is a Polytech M1A receiver I want to rebarrel with a surplus military barrel I've got laying around, but I've never seen this before in an M1A/M14 receiver. Looks like some kind of set screw or a staked pin of some kind to hold the barrel in place (as if the torque on these babies wasn't enough already). Anyone seen this before? Do I remove it (it looks staked in place) before attempting the barrel removal?

Re: What's this "screw" in an M1A receiver?

Gene,
Yes it is a set screw and does need to be removed to get the barrel off. All 3 of my Poly's have this. If you can get hold of a copy of "The M14 Complete Assembly Guide" by Walt Kuleck and Clint McKee it covers removing this set screw. It can be a bugger but not impossible.

Re: What's this "screw" in an M1A receiver?

No reverse threads that I know of, but they do have metric threads on the muzzle where the flash hider connects and metric threads on the gas block. With a new barrel, you get good old GI threads on the muzzle and a GI gas block will take care of that.