• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What's up with Nightforce scopes?

Centuriator

Dude...you're being very un-Dude.
Banned !
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2012
Middle 'Merica!
I have been watching the WTS ads here for quite some time and it appears to me that there are a LOT of people selling their Nightforce scopes...

Any reason why?

Personal experience only....Loved my NF's but I have sold two only because there are some very good alternatives for 1/2 the price. I wonder if that's what's happening??

I doubt it's because of problems with the scope.

Not many NF scopes are FFP and that is the big switch. Works for me as I have picked up a few NXS and an ATACR at considerable savings here on the hide. Nothing wrong with NF scopes at all and our team runs nothing else.

Sully

Every year there is something new, HS turrets, improvements of the compact, various obj sizes, zero stop, reticles, etc.

One example is the new compact with 42mm obj and side focus. Folks upgrade and sell off their older NF. All in all the NF retain much of their value in the secondary market.

I have no problem with rifle/scope ADHD, just swoop in and find a deal.

imho: QE 1-4+, Leupold/Bushnell/Vortex, and trends within a growing market group.

I like NF, they're one of few brands that I haven't managed to break a single product from. I'd say it's gear ADHD or just people upgrading their scopes to ones with newer features.

Seems to me the majority of the NF line is a bit dated compared to other scopes on the market. They make a great scope and the one I've got has been flawless but it lacks features that I'd like to try out. Half the fun of this game for me is trying different optics out to see how they all compare.

we see them FS lot of times simply because more than half of us holding few nightforce in hands..

think people are realizing that FFP scopes are far more useful in the type of shooting that they do than SFP. the Beast seems cool, but not pushing 3k cool.

There are usually a number of Nightforce scopes for sale on this forum. Doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with them; it just means that a large number of them change hands on a frequent basis. The same can be said of several other brands.

I love NF but their features are lacking in comparison to others manufactures out there and mainly in the FFP dept. I sold off one of mine to upgrade to a Steiner 5-25 MSR and will be selling another here shortly to upgrade to a Kahles 6-24 MSR. They are great scopes if you can get away with only needing SFP but my needs have changed along with my style of shooting so the SFPs have got to go.

I love NF but their features are lacking in comparison to others manufactures out there and mainly in the FFP dept. I sold off one of mine to upgrade to a Steiner 5-25 MSR and will be selling another here shortly to upgrade to a Kahles 6-24 MSR. They are great scopes if you can get away with only needing SFP but my needs have changed along with my style of shooting so the SFPs have got to go.

oddly enough, this is the same thing people said about leupold when NF started offering matching turrets, HS ZS's and a good selection of recticles, things come full circle as alot of people are leaving NF to go back to leupold. a 5-22 FFP atacr would of kept me with NF, found leupold offers me exactly what i looking for with a along with a better mil program

oddly enough, this is the same thing people said about leupold when NF started offering matching turrets, HS ZS's and a good selection of recticles, things come full circle as alot of people are leaving NF to go back to leupold. a 5-22 FFP atacr would of kept me with NF, found leupold offers me exactly what i looking for with a along with a better mil program

That's very true. I try to remember that the NF sitting on my TRG is the same one that everyone was raving about a couple of years ago. It didn't suddenly lose any capability just because something incrementally better or more popular is out there.

I have PR's and S&B's on all my rigs except my first 308 and my first N/F sits on top of it and isn't going anywhere it still functions great and does what I need it to do.

I sold two on here in the last couple months, only because they were MOA and I am trying to get everything of mine to match and be in MIL. Also i wanted to fund a vectronix range finder and NV. So im sure there are quite a few peopl that are like me and just clearing some out to diversify or maybe get their systems all together. I still have two NXS in MIL and have no plans of selling them. NF makes really nice scopes.

CJG

I am one of the guys selling a NF now, and I too have noticed many others. Nothing wrong with it at all, heck it's barely used from the few months I had my GAP10, but with a new rifle coming in over the next few weeks hopefully, I am opting to try and swap from the F1 NXS to a Beast. If it doesn't sell, I'll keep it and put it on the rifle and carry on as normal. It just comes at a decent time for me to try and move up a step further towards the Beast and more magnification. I'm not skilled like many of the guys here on this site so for me it's along the lines of hobby/toy type purchases in contrast to an actual need for work or competition related etc. Cheaper hobby than racing cars or motorcycles and likely safer too.

Last edited:
I'm a guy who just bought a NF from a guy on here (he actually got me set on this site it was on another that we made the deal), I think it's just that they change hands. Nothing wrong with them. Great scopes.

I'm in the seller catagory. Trying to make the switch from SFP/MOA to FFP/MIL. If my current NXS had the features I am looking for, I'd be one very content Nightforce customer.

I currently own seven NF NSX and one Competition 15-55X scopes. Just today I accepted a NF NXS 12-42X in partial trade for my one and only SB PMII 5-25X that I no longer needed. I also just sold a 5.5-22x NF NXS to upgrade to another 8-32X NF NXS. I'm a paper puncher and occasionally bust a varmint so SFP, MOA, and Mildot works for me. I no longer own tactical rifles but, when I did, I bought mostly NF because I couldn't swing $3500 for each of the eight scopes needed. I think, at their price point, the Nightforce NXS is an excellent optic. I also own two March 40X scopes for my short range BR rifles and they are excellent optics as well. It seems that March is giving NF some stiff competition in the FT/R game.

Last edited:
That's very true. I try to remember that the NF sitting on my TRG is the same one that everyone was raving about a couple of years ago. It didn't suddenly lose any capability just because something incrementally better or more popular is out there.

The automotive press has been playing this game for decades; some now refer to it as "the wobble":

Clarkson, Burgess, The Wobble, And The Chrysler 200 | The Truth About Cars

In short, the tendency of people in positions of influence (media pundits, forum gurus, etc.) is to immediately create space between new products and those of a prior generation by slamming the older stuff... even if they themselves once proclaimed it the second coming and could find few faults during the initial evaluation. So if a particular manufacturer's Nitpicker 5.5-22x50mm was considered to be a tremendous step forward a few years ago, but now we need to justify an upgrade to the Belittler 5-25x56mm, we simple put a bit of a negative spin on the older version.

Once people know what to look for, it's all too obvious. Of course, there is also the knee-jerk opposite reaction, which is to proclaim everything new as junk.