• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing whats wrong with this deer?

Smcarroll

gun nut
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2011
Montana/Wyoming
sickdeer1_zpsdd6b5f24.jpg

sickdeer2_zps5024bf60.jpg

A friend sent me these pictures from a game cam in central Michigan.

looks "healthy" (alert, and such) by the photo, for as much as the photo can depict not CWD kinda thing.

only other guesses are a bad archery shot last year skimming the side, a possible coyote or two trying to bring it down and it got away, or some sort of mange / skin infection.

Deer 'Hair Loss Syndrome' Fact Sheet | Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife

Parasitic and Infectious Diseases of White-Tailed Deer in Oklahoma

My guess was mange or something similar as well. It looks like there are white pustules or something similar on the patches. I am gonna go out on a limb and say it's not a arrow or bullet wound, he said its all over the body of the deer. The pics were taken by a cam on private land my family uses for the storage of oilfield equipment. There is a spot where a large brine salt pile was dumped several years ago. The deer love it, they frequent the area. I have seen some deer with large grease stains on them from rubbing against the stuff in the yard.

It is some sort of skin infection, probably fungal or parasites. Nature can be cruel.

s

my guess is those are impact burns from the TR.net rifle that exploded when the hunter tried to shoot it

my guess is those are impact burns from the TR.net rifle that exploded when the hunter tried to shoot it

Lmao that was good. Thanks for the laugh

As to the OP i've never seen that before, sort of looks like an infection.