• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition whats your bet powder in your 6br

cornhusker

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2012
Towandaa,Pa
So now That I am building this thing and starting
to gather some brass-boolets-etc....The question
about powder comes to mind...I have varget on hand.
So tell me what you are using....I don't want to know
how much..Just which one you thing is the best
for your rig...Thanks

seriously, there is an entire website dedicated to the 6mmbr and accurateshooter forums have an entire forum dedicated to the 6BR. This is a great site, but your questions will probaby get better answers there, just like asking about what mags fit which AI will get better answers on the 'Hide. I'd go look there.

What bullet are you running?

105 / 107 gr bullet, Varget is pretty hard to beat in 6BR.

+1 for Varget in the 100-108 grain bullets it is the go to powder for that range of bullet weights. You will probably find that the 6BR is one of the easiest cartridges to find an amazingly accurate round. Probably the most accurate cartridge inside of 600 yards out there.

at this point in time, the "best" powder for reloading anything is one you can get. alternate plan b is the order of the day. i am able to get benchmark and that will work good enough to keep me shooting. that is the first order of business isn't it? or are we going to be "collectors" and not "shooters?" adapt. improvise. overcome.

IMR 8208XBR. In MY 28" Shilen Select Match, 28.4gr, Lapua brass, CCI BR4 primer, 107 SMK was my go to F-Open mid-range load.

My bet is it will work better with powder than without.

Varget is the go-to powder for the 6BR. All kinds of info over on 6mmbr.com if you want to get educated on the chambering.

Well I have to disagree about varget. I shoot a lot of F-Class as well as Benchrest, today while there are folks useing Varget it is problematic in that Varget varies widely from lot to lot. It has gotten so bad that some complettly have to redo there load work up when just changing lots of Varget. I believe that in my experiance that a lot of Benchrest shooters are now using RL15, it is my go-To powder in both the Dasher and the 6BR.

When I first started shooting the 6 BR several years ago I tested Benchmark a lot. For me Benchmark was the best powder I ever shot in the 6BR, trouble was I was piercing primers in the test rifle. I moved away from Benchmark thinking that it was the problem. Turned out it wasn't the powder it was the rifle, the fireing pin hole was to large and allowing the primer material to flow back and creating the pierced primer. Sent the bolt to Gre-Tan and that was the end of that problem. I just settled in with RL15 and didn't look back, I would however like to retest with Benchmark in this case.

RS

Varget had a bad period a few years ago (circa 2010) where it was not dense enough to get max velocity in some chambering/bullet combinations. That period has passed. Lots made in the last 2 years I have tested are back to to the same density and burn rate (less than half a percent difference) as my treasured mid year 2007 lot.

It is incumbent upon the shooter to determine burn rate and density any time one changes lots of powder. This is not a Varget-specific exercise. Having burned close to 100 pounds of RL15 across 5 different lots in the last 9 years, I can assure you RL-15 is not exempt from this.

Just about every 6BR ever made loves 30 to 31 grains of Varget lit by CCI-450s pushing 105 Hybrids.

IMR 8208XBR. In MY 28" Shilen Select Match, 28.4gr, Lapua brass, CCI BR4 primer, 107 SMK was my go to F-Open mid-range load.
Do you mind sharing your date? I’ve been a varget guy forever, but I’m tired of looking for it. I have a ton of 8208 here and I’m interested in giving it a shot.

8208 is a good powder with the lighter bullets (65-80 grain) in the 6 BR. I use it for a 65 grain bullet in a varmint rifle. It is a bit too fast burning to get good velocities with the heavier bullets, in my experience. Another powder to check out would be IMR 4320. It is in the same burn rate area as R15, Varget and VVN140. It looks like these guys still have some 1 pounders if you want to try it: https://reloadingunlimited.com/product/imr-4320/
I bought an 8 pounder during the last Varget "crisis", and worked up good loads for a BRX and BR with 105 hybrids. It is not as temp insensitive as some of the others, but is a good backup that isn't hard to find usually. Velocities with the BR were in the same range as similar charges with Varget.
I stay away from double based powders (Alliant and VV 5 series) with my F-class rifles due to throat erosion. There is a little more velocity with them, but the barrels don't last nearly as long. If you aren't heating up a barrel as fast as we do in high power comps, you can get a little more life out of the barrel with double based powders. My .02 which is worth what you paid for it. Good luck