• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What's your favorite adjustable gas block?

Fatorangecat

Private
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2012
Amanda, Oh
Before you all attack me...I have searched the forum. I wanted to include some newer gas blocks in the conversation. Like the title says, what's your favorite adjustable gas block for the AR15 and why?

Before you all attack me...I have searched the forum. I wanted to include some newer gas blocks in the conversation. Like the title says, what's your favorite adjustable gas block for the AR15 and why?

Your search-fu sucketh, sir!! ;)

Look, there are a host of quality adjustable gas blocks on the market that vary considerably in terms of their price-points, adjustment methods, design, sizes, construction, etc. Each have their pros/cons and those vary a good bit primarily based on what the end-user wants/needs for their particular rifle/project.

At the present time, personally, the best bang for the buck in the industry are the adjustable blocks from SLR Rifleworks (Sentry model). They are: fairly low-profile (will fit under the large portion of handguards currently on the market save a couple of small or oddly sized/shaped units); offer both clamp-on and set-screw models depending on your preferences; have click-detent adjustments that go from more or less wide-open to off in 15 to 16 positions (no stupid "locking screws" or use of loc-tite required); require a single tool for adjustments from the front of the block (so they can be installed easily and without modification under your handguards if you have lengths that extend over the journal of your barrel); come in the four most common gas block/journal sizes (0.625", 0.750", 0.875" and 0.936"); use standard (not straight) gas tubes in ALL sizes; because of their design, they don't tend to foul the metering/adjustment screw like some other makes/models in the industry can which can cause you function issues; they can be taken apart with ease for maintenance/cleaning; and they are make in the US from high quality components and feature of lifetime guarantee. See here for more info: Gas Blocks

Good luck in your quest for info (or I should say MORE INFO based on the absurd number of recent topics just here on the Hide alone on adjustable gas blocks)! ;)

I have read everything I can find on adjustable gas blocks here on the forum and a few others as well. I only ask because manufacturers are constantly redesigning and improving their designs. What may have been the best product available a year ago may not be now. I like the SLR Sentry but I can't find many reviews about it let alone get my hands on one personally. I understand people get tired of seeing the same generic questions but its going to happen. After all, none of us were born with a bore snake for an umbilical cord.

I have read everything I can find on adjustable gas blocks here on the forum and a few others as well. I only ask because manufacturers are constantly redesigning and improving their designs. What may have been the best product available a year ago may not be now. I like the SLR Sentry but I can't find many reviews about it let alone get my hands on one personally. I understand people get tired of seeing the same generic questions but its going to happen. After all, none of us were born with a bore snake for an umbilical cord.

They are relatively new to the market having only been out since ~1st of the year now so you won't find much in the way of lengthy reviews or long-term results showing how they hold up over time/thousands of rounds. Having used their previous DA design blocks and having talked extensively with the folks at SLR down in Fla about this design (as well as having used one for a while now), I can highly recommend their products without hesitation. If you have any specific questions or reservations, post em up here and those of us who've used them can probably help you. If not, SLR has a web presence that it very good and they are open to questions by e-mail or by posting on the BARFCOM industry forum page (if you dare venture over to TOS)!! ;)

As for you getting grief about this topic...it is what it is. It just so happens that discussion of adjustable blocks comes up about as frequently as x-scope vs. y-scope for my Remington 700 threads do. It gets damned old and damned annoying, but we keep answering them instead of ignoring the questions or making posts that just say run a search, so I guess that's on the rest of us as a group huh? ;) (Just nagging ya...its all good.) Good luck on your quest. You might also have a look at the Syrac Ordnance Gen 2 blocks which are somewhat similar in design, but aren't quite as good as the SLR in my opinion/experience.

ORD I do appreciate you taking the time to answer questions that you have probably answered before. I'm thinking the SRI is the best choice.

I have been shooting BTE units for a couple of years. Available in about any configuration and barrel size. Price is great and they will do custom if the need arises.

Greg