• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What's your favorite AR barrel.

aSilk_Suit007

Private
Minuteman
Aug 30, 2018
North TX
Having built 10+ precision ARs and used many different brands of barrels, I find that NOVESKE is my "go to". They arnt the best and are very expensive to some.
Whats the best barrel youve ever shot?
Grouping pics are a plus!

Reactions: Novak77
I have used White Oak a few times now. They are great! I did just get an upper from Craddock in 224 Valkyrie with a Criterion barrel. I’m interested to see how it stacks up against the WOA barrels.

Reactions: 10ring1
Why do think nobody builds a custom bolt gun and puts a button rifled barrel on it? Don't they all use single point cut rifled barrels but why?

Why do think nobody builds a custom bolt gun and puts a button rifled barrel on it? Don't they all use single point cut rifled barrels but why?
Plenty of people use button barrels. I dont think I even own a cut barrel.

I’ve got an older Alexander arms bull upper in 6.5 Grendel like I have shot the crap out of. It’s my go to ar for coyotes. Another AA gun I have I love for bench shooting. But my fav barrel is on a cheap ass psa 7.5 inch upper in 300 blackout. It’s not precision but it’s my favorite. With subs and suppressed it’s a hoot to shoot

Attachments

• A386E1A7-5ED3-4959-9103-F5EE1A5FFDA6.jpeg
    A386E1A7-5ED3-4959-9103-F5EE1A5FFDA6.jpeg
    362.5 KB · Views: 26

I sure did and shoots great, you might also want to ask Schneider who has been supplying our Marines with barrels as well. Might want to check your facts buddy!!

I sure did and shoots great, you might also want to ask Schneider who has been supplying our Marines with barrels as well. Might want to check your facts buddy!!

Yes he should. Im fairly sure there are lots Benchmark, Shilen and Lilja tubes fitted to custom bolt guns as well. Not to mention a few others

You do realize that the PRS is a bit of a self licking ice cream cone? I mean just about every discipline is a bit of circle jerk, they tend to ebb and flow with what’s trending. If you forced those top 100 PRS shooters to run button barrels, I doubt the standing would shift much. There can be a lot more that goes into making barrels than just the way the rifling is made, take JP for example, they use button barrels but I don’t think you’ll find too many complaints. Same goes for hammer forged barrels.

Yes it's about 90% / 10% of the top 100

Well, as far as AR-15's go, if ya wanna be like Mike, Compass Lake will machine a Bartlein blank if you have the coin for it; they'll do a Kreiger too. Both are cut rifled.

MM

You do realize that the PRS is a bit of a self licking ice cream cone? I mean just about every discipline is a bit of circle jerk, they tend to ebb and flow with what’s trending. If you forced those top 100 PRS shooters to run button barrels, I doubt the standing would shift much. There can be a lot more that goes into making barrels than just the way the rifling is made, take JP for example, they use button barrels but I don’t think you’ll find too many complaints. Same goes for hammer forged barrels.
+1

Gotta love the "because all the top dogs use one" window lickers who can't articulate any technical knowledge on why some material or process is better than the other.

Self licking ice cream cone........LOL, perfect.

Bartlein, Cut Rock Creek, or Krieger from CLE, Craddock, or Keystone.

Yep, cut rifling offers some benefits, such as the stated twist rate is often more accurate than what a button rifled barrel may state, simply because of the nature of button rifling. Aside from that, if your bullet is stable from the barrel, and it's a quality barrel to begin with, a button rifled barrel can be just as accurate as a cut rifled barrel. Saying something isn't good because the top 100 PRS shooter doesn't use it is a fallacy. Spend your money on what you want or what you can afford and be happy.

Bartlein, Cut Rock Creek, or Krieger from CLE, Craddock, or Keystone.

Compass Lake does not offer RC barrels at all & Craddock only offers RC button rifles barrels for an AR; no idea about Keystone.

Good summary, very technically accurate.

I'd be willing to bet that in terms of absolute straightness, button rifled barrels are the least straight due to the stress relieving after rifling, especially in lighter contours...............but I have not seen A-B data to support that. But lotsa production barrels get straightened.

Just sayin'.

MM

I'd be willing to bet that in terms of absolute straightness, button rifled barrels are the least straight due to the stress relieving after rifling, especially in lighter contours...............but I have not seen A-B data to support that. But lotsa production barrels get straightened.

Just sayin'.

MM
No doubt stress relief can induce out of straightness conditions. But people who know what they're doing can get them straight within a few (1 - 5) thousands.

To many records have been set and broken with button rifled barrels to overlook them or dismiss them, the same can be said about cut rifled barrels.
So the best answer is buy a quality barrel either button or cut rifling in the contour and required twist for the job and enjoy, I know there are some that can shoot well enough to tell the difference between different match barrels but not to many and I'm not one of them.

Reactions: 308pirate
To many records have been set and broken with button rifled barrels to overlook them or dismiss them, the same can be said about cut rifled barrels.
So the best answer is buy a quality barrel either button or cut rifling in the contour and required twist for the job and enjoy, I know there are some that can shoot well enough to tell the difference between different match barrels but not to many and I'm not one of them.

That's true. Lilja barrels (both bolt & AR) are buttoned as are Hart, & are truly great barrels. Douglas' best non-straightened barrels can also be very, very good.

MM

I always sell mine as soon as I see what the pros are using.. :rolleyes:
Actually, I don't. WOA for many years. 18" SPR, Vewy vewy accurate!

Also have Krieger, Bartlein, and Rock Creek cut barrels on bolt guns but my Schneider 7.5 P button is the most accurate of them all !

Compass Lake 7.7 Krieger. 5 shots.
1/2" grouping is typical.

Attachments

• CL.JPG
    CL.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 34
I don't know what my favorite AR barrel is, because I buy them from the builder, not the barrel maker. I have a pair of Stag Model 6 Super Varminters, and a 16" Franken15 built with a Stag Model 3 barrel.

Best I can gather from internet searches, at least some of these three may be McGowan.

They work well.

Greg

No competition use here, but for my hunting needs ARP is hard to beat. Harrison makes a great barrel for the coin.

Reactions: XLR308
Compass Lake 7.7 Krieger. 5 shots.
1/2" grouping is typical.

I had CLE spin a Krieger blank into a SPR profile 18” barrel for my Mk12 Mod 0 clone.
That barrel has spoiled me as far as accuracy,
if CLE would do me a similar barrel in 6.5 Grendel, I’d be a happy man. For a while, at least...

Yes it's about 90% / 10% of the top 100

Accuracy, no difference. See various reviews and comparison tests I've done here on the Hide. I've tested hundreds of barrels from all the big and small names over the years.

First off, your quoting PRS bolt gun stats/info in the semi auto section. Doesnt apply to this discussion.

Second, the button vs cut has to do with barrel life, has Jack shit to do with accuracy. I've tested PVA Rock button prototype for them that is being used on the John Hancock. It hammers. I've tested Keystone Accuracy green mountain barrels for them in 6.5x47L. They shoot LIGHTS OUT. Buttons just generally crap out earlier than a cut rifled.

The top PRS guys typically use what their sponsor gives them. They also want the longest life out of them before spinning on a new barrel and having to recheck load data.

I always say, safe queen with minimal round per year button will do you just fine and be just as accurate. PRS style shooting, 10rd strings in 90sec week after week. Get a cut rifled barrel.

20" WOA SDM Fluted (Wilson) 1:7 223 Wylde
77smk - 23.6g 8208XBR - 1xLC - 205M

20" Rainier Ultramatch (Shilen) 223 Wylde 1:8
73 ELD-M - 23.4g 8208XBR - 3xLC - 205

Last edited:
Now back on topic. I've always liked WOA's, Keystone Krieger's are great and Rainier (shilen) Ultramatch barrels.

Rainier doesn't use Shilen blanks anymore and actually just sent me a package with their new MOD2 Ultramatch barrels in 223 Wylde, 300blk, 224V and 6.5cm to test/review. I'm really looking forward to testing these. Keep an eye out for those reviews soon!

Last edited:
Reactions: Forgetful Coyote
My Satern cut rifle 6.5G is the best, .33MOA consistent with the right handloads, it's amazing. But getting one is like pulling teeth and takes years unless he has one in stock. So I only have the one unfortunately and it took around 3 years to get. May go with Krieger in the future, I understand their cut rifle barrels are good.

Lilja makes the navy's recce barrel. 16", probably one of the best button rifle barrels. Haven't shot this rifle yet, so can't comment, same for the 11.5" Grendel barrel I got from 'em. They're not cheap and have a good reputation FWIW.

Another I haven't shot yet is a Brownell's .223 Wylde 5R 1-8 twist stainless heavy profile barrel, it was $250 or so on sale. Just built it from parts I had. I expect it to do good though, subMOA, or I'm gonna sell it. Not putting a less than great barrel in an otherwise very nice rifle.

I too use Noveske as a "go to" but for SBR's. They make a tough as hell barrel and it's fairly accurate. They ain't cheap either, but are generally 1MOA barrels, some do even better. The LMT 14.5 M4 barrels are about 1-1.5 MOA. So is the AAC 16" .300 BLK pencil barrel.

I think that covers the ones I have. The new SR25's have a nice cut rifle barrel, so do the SR15's, not sue of the mfg. on these but they're subMOA with FGMM and better with the right handloads.

If I could get any it'd be the Satern, that is IF I could get what I needed.

Rainier doesn't use Shilen blanks anymore and actually just sent me a package with their new MOD2 Ultramatch barrels in 223 Wylde, 300blk, 224V and 6.5cm to test/review. I'm really looking forward to testing these. Keep an eye out for those reviews soon!

Do you know who's barrels those are now? I've heard Rock Creek button, but have not seen that positively confirmed yet.

Thanks.

MM