• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What's Your Favorite Brass and Why

338LMAI

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2019
Bettles, Alaska
I initiated a new post/thread last night and when I clicked on post thread it vanished. So I try again. Based on your experience what is your preferred brass and why is that?

If Alpha makes it, it's generally the same or more consistent than Lapua.
Man, hope I didn't open a bigo can of worms with that one.
Otherwise, Lapua is what I use for anything else.
Don't have to sort brass, necks are pretty consistent and seem to last longer (more reloads)
with the SRP than other brands.
Just my 2 cents take it or don't

My favorite brand of brass is called “Range Pickup”. It’s the least expensive of them all.

What I have found is that nearly all brass can be used to make excellent ammo if you use it as intended. The only brass I ran across that failed this easy standard was some Russian crap. The neck was something like .010” thicker on one side.

A lot of people don’t understand how all of this works and they make bad ammo, then they blame the brass. I shot two .1” groups at 100 yards today. One was using Winchester brass I scavenged and the other using Remington. Both of these brands have been besmirched over the years by pompous degenerates. The Remington brass is on its 10th firing and the Win on its fifth. 47.5grs of Varget under 155s in the Win and 43.5 with 175s in the RP.

No they are not my favorite. I don’t have a favorite. I look for brass to fit the load, not for a load to fit the brass.

I think that is dependent on what type of shooter one is, and thus what one’s preferences are. Also, this is dependent on what caliber one is shooting.

Too little information to get any objective feedback.

For blasting ammo, pretty much any brass will shoot well with culling, prep and a good load. Do sort by head stamp. I primarily use Winchester and Lake City for hunting/varmint rifles.

Shooting 600 yards and out for group or score requires eliminating or minimizing every possible variable. That's where brass like Lapua comes in. I've heard good things about Alpha but haven't tried any yet.

Might be time to narrow the field. This question focuses on 338 caliber and up and ranges over 1500 yards. All brass is weighed, necks turned, primer depth exacted, etc. I've used Petersen and Lapua, but now the field has become considerably more populated with other and very good brass. Examples might be Alpha, RWS, DWM (returned?) RCC, etc; I'm looking to capitalize on others experience as I'm running out of funds and time. Again, thank you.

Might be time to narrow the field. This question focuses on 338 caliber and up and ranges over 1500 yards. All brass is weighed, necks turned, primer depth exacted, etc. I've used Petersen and Lapua, but now the field has become considerably more populated with other and very good brass. Examples might be Alpha, RWS, DWM (returned?) RCC, etc; I'm looking to capitalize on others experience as I'm running out of funds and time. Again, thank you.
I guess I did not really care for the way 918 put it, but in essence he is right. You tried peterskin and lapua, not really sure what mecca you are searching for. You can turn most components into favorable.
When you are paying 2 bucks a pop for brass, I'd live with my choice till a rebarrel is in order. When you ask a opinion on a forum with 10K active members, who do you trust?

I like LC for 223 and Winchester 243 brass for my 260.

Once my Winchester brass is gone I’m probably going to lapua.

Lapua in 9mm, 5.56, and .308 as stated above by DMP for their quality and longevity.

Last edited:
It depends on what I shoot it in. Precision rifle is Lapua, Norma or RWS. Semi autos get mil surplus. I have not tried Alpha or Starline.

Ive been really impressed with alpha brass in my 6 mm creed, using small rifle primers. Otherwise it's been lapua for me in 260 rem, 6.5 x47L, and 6.5 Creed.

For the most part, I don’t use range pick up brass. While a lot of people shoot factory brass and just leave it on the ground, I don’t know “why” someone is leaving the brass. If it’s not worth them picking up, it’s probably not worth me picking up. That said, I did fall into a shit ton of once fired 223 that I have sorted and prepped for a 223 rifle I own, as well as cutting down a bunch for a 300 blackout.

I haven’t tested brass extensively, but from the little that I have shot, Lapua is my favorite. I shoot Hornady the most, just because I have it from factory ammo and if I lose it at a match it’s not big loss. I load Remington for my 270 and after about 4 loadings the necks split. I don’t anneal. The bit of federal brass that I have (308) seems very soft.

I've left brass on the ground because I felt it was at "end of life." Most brass left at ranges is "once fired" and left. Then again, a lot of the shooters at the range where I shoot- when I shoot- are old timers and big reloaders. I'm not picking up brass they're leaving- there's a reason. Amd, brass is pretty cheap- especially those brands usually found as range pick ups. I can afford to buy it...

Give GWT brass a try. I run Lapua 338LM and since I have a batch of 500 I don't have a need yet for anything else. I have heard, however, that GWT (Go West Trading) is superior, and less expensive than Lapua at about 1.25-1.50/pc. Once I shoot mine out, I'm gonna give them a try.

Paydirt! Never heard of them; hence initiating this thread. Thank you. I'll be submitting GWT to the possibilities bin. I should state that I've reloaded WW, RP, Federal, and maybe even a few PCM (?) for my 270s and 375s and Bertram, Lapua and Petersen in my 338s. It is in the latter that I want to increase the variety of really good brass (would RGB be acceptable?). Too, I'd sure like to have my brass head-stamped 338LMAI...

Lapua if available otherwise PPU. The former for obvious reasons and the latter because it works almost just as good for a lot less and in calibers not available by the former.

JAG head stamp

20190523_142519.jpg

Last edited: