• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What's your favorite mass produced rifle?

I follow yours and Marine PMI chain of reasoning on the matter, and no he didn't specify price.
I guess next time I'm in Wal-Mart or Cabelas or Bass Pro I will have to pick up and compare an AIAX to the other factory rifles ?

Since price is not an issue or production rate I guess I will have to include the Remington PSR kit, at $21,000 It's a steal.

I agreed with you, anything that gets put in cabelas special gun library instead of on the 100 yard long rack isnt mass produced anything(classics and vintage etc dont count).

I bought a T3 after Eurooptic deeply discounted them. I had never even seen a Tikka (I frequent the reloading store a lot more than the gun store). I was not disappointed. They still have a few T3's left for great prices, really tempting to pick up another.

Reactions: SLG
I dont buy guns at walmart, bass pro or cabelas, so if I used them as a measure of anything, I would own no guns at all. Just because your big box store, with their minimally knowledgable (to be polite) sales staff, doesnt carry a specific gun, does not in any way determine what is and is not a factory gun.

I dont buy guns at walmart, bass pro or cabelas, so if I used them as a measure of anything, I would own no guns at all. Just because your big box store, with their minimally knowledgable (to be polite) sales staff, doesnt carry a specific gun, does not in any way determine what is and is not a factory gun.
not that i would support them even if they did

Reactions: Basher and SLG

But it does serve as an indicator of mass produced...

I dont see AIs or TRGs stacked up 100 deep in every sporting goods store across the nation. Just because Mile high has 20 on their display walls doesnt make it a mass produced gun.

Obviously everyone would prefer an AI but it is a bit of a boutique rifle when compared to those of which there are literally millions produced.

I dont see AIs or TRGs stacked up 100 deep in every sporting goods store across the nation. Just because Mile high has 20 on their display walls doesnt make it a mass produced gun.

Given that we are all spitballing here, you can certainly argue what is or is not mass produced. Unless we know the cut off, it is all just open to interpretation. More expensive items, even factory produced, are always made in smaller quantities than cheaper items. If the ai is not made in sufficient quantities to qualify as mass produced, then so be it. I guess most of the guns on my list are inelligible then.

Reactions: spife7980

Obviously everyone would prefer an AI but it is a bit of a boutique rifle when compared to those of which there are literally millions produced.

How many tikkas are there? The op used that marque as an example. Compared to savage or Remington, tikka may be viewed as a boutique rifle too, idk. Is sako mass produced?

I would say that the tikkas are. Sure they are imports but they are on all the shelves in all the stores across the nation. Cabelas and academy have just as many tikkas as they do remingtons these days. They have one AI in the gun library and maybe a TRG if Im lucky enough to finger bang one. Sako in general I would call a factory rifle like kimber or copper are but I wouldnt call it mass produced.

When I think of mass produced I think of something crude rolled out in bulk. Sako is a really nice rifle with fine craftmanship that goes into them and there arent a whole lot of them on shelves that Ive ever seen. Factory yes but still really really nice. Remington and savage are just glorified drainage pipes.

If AI made a rifle I could pack hunting without dying from the weight, I'd probably get one.

I have never owned or even shot an AI rifle, that's not to say i wouldn't love to have one.

Instead of buying one I wanted to go the route of picking my own components from 100% American made parts and companies, it's getting harder and harder to do that nowadays but well worth the effort.

I also really prefer the option of being able to buy different parts and try different stocks if the one a rifle comes with doesn't suit me or I just get bored with it.

I personally think the AI rifles are expertly designed and outfitted but you better damn well love it because I see little that can be changed about them. Recently there was a thread on here for an aftermarket trigger but how many years in the making has that been ?

Sure you can have a stock inletted for one but then you have a custom stock with an oddball inlet that would be difficult to sell if you change your mind.

Maybe the original trigger was so good there was no need but if someone took the time and resources to produce an upgrade there must be a demand for it.

Anyways they are without question great rifles with a great reputation for durability and dependability, wasn't trying to ruffle any feathers just a slight grey area I suppose.

The competition in the custom action market seems to be heating up to the point that buying a rack grade rifle seems to be a waste to me anyway.

I think it's important to remember the real intent and use of the AI rifles. We're just lucky we can buy them as civilians. They finally caved with the trigger after how many years??

They aren't supposed to be ideal for PRS.

That being said...I'd love to be able to buy an action and throw it in a Manners or something but that's not possible

Reactions: BallisticPrimate
I think it's important to remember the real intent and use of the AI rifles. We're just lucky we can buy them as civilians. They finally caved with the trigger after how many years??

They aren't supposed to be ideal for PRS.

That being said...I'd love to be able to buy an action and throw it in a Manners or something but that's not possible

Not possible yet, who knows in another 20 years of people asking maybe they'd consider selling just the actions. ?

If AI made a rifle I could pack hunting without dying from the weight, I'd probably get one.
My side kick use to shoot one of those until one day we were winding up a run a gun match. He was picking up my gear as I was task to do some range shit. I heard him bitching an came back to see what the fuss was about. He made the comment that my shit was to light as my stick only weighed 10.5 pd loaded. That POS AI went 17pds. Next match his new stick weighed out a 11pds loaded. I love how people who have never humped shit
think they know what this game/task is about. Bottom line I have never known anyone that humped shit for uncle complain about their kit being to lite. Those that know well tell you real quick field-craft will trump heavy an snivel gear. From the truck/trunk to the shooting position weigh means nothing, carry that slut for 3 or more days an tell me how you love a heavy stick. Then think about humping that POS for 2-3 weeks at a time. It all looks an sounds easy, if you have never done it before, or are a desk jocky using said desk as a Chasity belt. Easy to B/S the fans but you'll never B/S a player.

My side kick use to shoot one of those until one day we were winding up a run a gun match. He was picking up my gear as I was task to do some range shit. I heard him bitching an came back to see what the fuss was about. He made the comment that my shit was to light as my stick only weighed 10.5 pd loaded. That POS AI went 17pds. Next match his new stick weighed out a 11pds loaded. I love how people who have never humped shit
think they know what this game/task is about. Bottom line I have never known anyone that humped shit for uncle complain about their kit being to lite. Those that know well tell you real quick field-craft will trump heavy an snivel gear. From the truck/trunk to the shooting position weigh means nothing, carry that slut for 3 or more days an tell me how you love a heavy stick. Then think about humping that POS for 2-3 weeks at a time. It all looks an sounds easy, if you have never done it before, or are a desk jocky using said desk as a Chasity belt. Easy to B/S the fans but you'll never B/S a player.

LOL! Yeah, I guess that was directed at my comment about "getting stronger". Yeah, heavy shit sucks to hump (you're talking to a radio operator that also humped a SAW and ammo with his radio), but when you want something the works every time, all the time, you suck it the fuck up, and hump what you need to get the job done. AI's aren't that heavy, especially when you consider we ain't humping an M-4 (and the additional 180rds that goes with it) in addition to our precision rifles.

Just another player here, that learned that old lesson from my hunting dog "It doesn't matter how cold the water is, when you need to get to the other side of the river." Even approaching 50 years of age, that lesson still holds true (even more so, on some levels). If it's heavy, then you need to get stronger. Sitting on a keyboard, sucking down Monster's, chomping on cheetos ain't going to make that rifle any lighter...

Just another player here, that learned that old lesson from my hunting dog "It doesn't matter how cold the water is, when you need to get to the other side of the river." Even approaching 50 years of age, that lesson still holds true (even more so, on some levels). If it's heavy, then you need to get stronger. Sitting on a keyboard, sucking down Monster's, chomping on cheetos ain't going to make that rifle any lighter...
We had the 1954 butt packs but when the Alice came out, dumb ass me wanted a large. My gear was already bumping 80lb before I loaded up the Alice. Did not take me very long at all to revert back. Nothing like being a pack mule to the fight, yea that's a lot of fun. The guys that road were always bitching about us being slow until their duce went to shit, once. We were out of their sight carrying 20-25 lbs more than them, in less than 15 minutes. They never said a word after that. We joking referred to them as the butter ball gang, even though most were as skinny as us. They just did not have the stamina we did riding all the time.

LOL! Yeah, I guess that was directed at my comment about "getting stronger". Yeah, heavy shit sucks to hump (you're talking to a radio operator that also humped a SAW and ammo with his radio), but when you want something the works every time, all the time, you suck it the fuck up, and hump what you need to get the job done. AI's aren't that heavy, especially when you consider we ain't humping an M-4 (and the additional 180rds that goes with it) in addition to our precision rifles.

But why kill myself with a heavy rifle when my 8 lb rifle kills the elk just as dead every time? The only thing the AI has that I want in a hunting situation is the ergonomics.

But why kill myself with a heavy rifle when my 8 lb rifle kills the elk just as dead every time? The only thing the AI has that I want in a hunting situation is the ergonomics.
I guess it depends on how bad you want something...

I prefer the action on my T3 CTR way more than the semi customs I have on rem actions. It's a very noticeable improvement, especially considering how close in price the ctr and some of the factory rems are. The ctr trigger is pretty good for factory.

If someone is looking for an inexpensive hunting rifle, take a look at TC Venture.

This country was found by tough people called settlers,... an is now full of the same but with a different Connotation. LOL
I grew up a real settler
the-oregon-trail-deluxe.png

We get it. Some carried heavy shit back in the day. Cool. I 10000% agree a rifle sure as fuck doesn't need to be 19lb to be effective. Shit...we all know it's a prone gun at it's best.

With what is needed for an individual's needs, the ability to switch between or modify weight of a rifle system is a as much a great option to have or "well worth the EXTRA FUCKING MONEY" because the ounces=shit fuck pain.

Great to see so many modular systems/chassis/whatever you call it nowadays. You can really play a numbers game with load out.

If rifles such as AI or Desert Tech are not considered mass production rifles, I guess I would have to look at, vote for a RPR based on testimony from a couple successful predator hunting friends that swear by the RPR for their sport.

LOL. Who guessed this thread would devolve into an argument about what constitutes mass produced.
Argued by people who probably have never worked in or even seen what a mass production operation looks like.

Spice is right on the mass produced definition. It was a good term to use by the OP. It has been taken out of context by half you people to post up some fanboy niche gun manufacturer bullshit. Way to go, Paula, way to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
This place never disappoints! Gotta love it.
Regarding the original course, the Ruger Hawkeye Predator I once owned felt like an extension of my hands.
2nd would be Weatherby Accumark for fit and balance.
Always had a soft spot for Remington Sendero as well. Maybe I’m just behind the times.

Bolt, current version of the Savage short action. Semi, Stag. Mostly because that's what I'm most accustomed to; and with only a single exception, they are all factory barreled actions.

I enjoy coaxing out their potential, whatever that turns out to be. Yes, it takes time and work; but for me, it's the journey that's the most fun.

Greg

Sakos- have 2 TRGs and a Tikka. One of the TRGs and the Tikka are switch barrels now. Have a 308 sized and 223 bolt for the Tikka. I may save up for an AI for a magnum switch barrel but I may just stay Sako. Favorite trigger, mags and ergos. No real reason to change other than barrels and chassis when I want something different. The Tikka Tx1 will be my rimfire when released. Even talked to Sterk and got him to make some swept bolts for the TRG probably in October. He will be making them for the TX1 too. Makes a lot of sense to have everything set up identically. Now if only I could afford that many Minox scopes.....

Sakos- have 2 TRGs and a Tikka. One of the TRGs and the Tikka are switch barrels now. Have a 308 sized and 223 bolt for the Tikka. I may save up for an AI for a magnum switch barrel but I may just stay Sako. Favorite trigger, mags and ergos. No real reason to change other than barrels and chassis when I want something different. The Tikka Tx1 will be my rimfire when released. Even talked to Sterk and got him to make some swept bolts for the TRG probably in October. He will be making them for the TX1 too. Makes a lot of sense to have everything set up identically. Now if only I could afford that many Minox scopes.....

More info on the TRG swept bolts ASAP please.

Mass produced rifles cannot be AI. They are made in a small town in England.

Most guns are banned in England ???

"More info on the TRG swept bolts ASAP please."

Been back and forth with him a few times lately trying to get him to make swept bolts for the TRG (since he a fan of them too). He said the reason he hasnt is since the TRG bolt handle is threaded into the bolt body, he would have to come up with a way so it would index correctly- probably with a nut to tighten it. Seemed like a headache so has been putting it off, but with the TX1 coming out- its now a problem he needs to solve since that bolt handle will thread in the same way as the TRG.

I let him know that a lot of us who like the swept bolt on our Tikkas have TRGs as well, so he would sell a few of them. He is tentatively trying to get it figured out for his October run. Drop him a line if interested...the more of us that do, the more likely it is to happen.

Mauser M98 still in production. Double square bridge, magnum action, 338lm, laminated stock.

Or maybe a less exprnsive AIMC.. :)

Last edited: