• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What's your Fun (bolt action) Gun

I always reach for my bone stock Ruger Gunsite Scout in 308. Super light, easy to hike with, open sights, and I get to tinker with all kinds of assorted 308 loads. Would love to get a lever action 45 colt one day though, for just sitting by the campfire and plinking.

They're all fun aren't they?
Cell phone pic.
This bolt gun is fun because while I'm nowhere near a gunsmith, I was able to put it together myself (except for the bottom metal which was done by Jeff at CDI).
It is light recoiling and shoots as well as a custom and something about that just brings a smile to my face.

It closely resembles my 6.5 Creedmoor FN SPR and I mainly use it for positional shooting practice and sometimes coyotes.
It shoots my 70 Berger and 55 Sierra softpoint loads to the same POI at 100 yards which is pretty cool.

Savage 10
.223 Improved [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/preview.ibb.co\/cSNkga\/223_AI.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Last edited:
The only bolt gun I have is a newly purchased RPR 308. I'm having a great time with it. My most fun gun, the one that puts and ear to ear grin on my face, is my Thompson 1927A1 or my Thompson M1. Both are semi-auto, no full auto allowed in Washington State. Every time i bring one to the range there's always a line up of folks wanting to shoot a few rounds. They are always surprised at the weight, 11.5 lb to 13.5 lb. They are of no real practical use except I have wanted a Thompson since I was 8 years old (1956). Now I have two. We are finally able to have short barreled rifles again in Washington. So I've got to get my paperwork in and buy my stamp and get then shortened from 16.5" to 10.5".

Attachments

• photo67276.jpg
    photo67276.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 9
  • photo67277.jpg
    photo67277.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 8
  • photo67278.jpg
    photo67278.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 10
The only bolt gun I have is a newly purchased RPR 308. I'm having a great time with it. My most fun gun, the one that puts and ear to ear grin on my face, is my Thompson 1927A1 or my Thompson M1. Both are semi-auto, no full auto allowed in Washington State. Every time i bring one to the range there's always a line up of folks wanting to shoot a few rounds. They are always surprised at the weight, 11.5 lb to 13.5 lb. They are of no real practical use except I have wanted a Thompson since I was 8 years old (1956). Now I have two. We are finally able to have short barreled rifles again in Washington. So I've got to get my paperwork in and buy my stamp and get then shortened from 16.5" to 10.5".

Nice touch on the violin case!

Most fun for me is my 6.5 creedmoor Remington 700 project gun, about 2 years in the making from a funding and multiple gunsmiths involved standpoint, but is a laser and always puts a smile on my face...

Attachments

• IMG_1625.JPG
    IMG_1625.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 7
Depends on what I'm doing.
Most of the time I have my suppressed AIAT with the 6.5 Creedmoor (this is the correct spelling, I know I sound arrogant, deal with it) barrel on it. The thing just shoots flat out awesome and I never have to dick with it. There is a level a refinement with Accuracy International rifles that is hard not to appreciate.

If I'm in a prairie dog town I'll take my Custom Tikka in 223. I had Travis at TS Customs toss on a 22" 1/7.5 benchmark barrel and the thing is silly accurate. I shoot it suppressed with a light dog town load so there is almost no recoil. Nothing puts a smile on my face like looking through a scope watching a prairie dog get turned into a veneer or when they get launched into a low earth orbit.

My 243AI with a medium sportier and McMillan A3 Sporter stock gets the nod. Does about everything but extreme range hunting with minimal recoil.

Last weekend I went to one of the closing Gander Mountains and bought a Rem700 ADL 223 for $340. I wanted the action for a 6X45 build so I don't care about the barrel. I plan to let 4 guys use it at a prairie dog hunt next month, don't care if the barrel gets red hot because I'm going to pull it off with a pipe wrench before we can burn it out no matter what.

I zeroed it today using bulk loads optimized for one of my ARs as we'll have 1K of these for the hunt. Half inch groups. That's a fun gun.

I have a 20" Bartlein barrel/TL2 action in 223AI.
It's in a Magpul 700 Hunter stock (at the time $179 on sale from Primary Arms) that I shored up by injecting epoxy into the spaces fore and aft where the bedding block "backbone" mates to the plastic forearm and buttstock.
It's stupid accurate with practically zero recoil. It did not need it but I had a Little Jimmy brake kicking around and the barrel needed a muzzle device so the 2 married.
Topped off with an S&B PMII 5-25 DT P4L.

Bat tactical 223 I built for myself in a manners topped with an amg. Shoots well below 1/4 and suppressed its like shooting a 22lr no recoil and nice and quiet

Attachments

• photo68939.jpg
    photo68939.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 11
I always have lots of fun shooting my AR platform rifles... Especially my LWRC M6-IC-SPR, and my 6.5 Grendel. Oh.. and 1911's! Almost forgot about those.

Suppressed Savage MK2 .22LR.. Nothing brings a smile to my face quicker then this quite and accurate bunny gun.

Mine is an Anschutz 22 hornet with a two stage set trigger

Attachments

• photo69623.jpg
    photo69623.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 14
My most fun rifle.....is also the rifle I shoot the most. CZ455 Trainer in a Manners T4, with the barrel chopped to 16.5, threaded and suppressed. Timney trigger, and Atlas bipod. SWFA Super Sniper 10x Mil/Mil on a 25 MOA base and NF rings. This thing is a killa......longest kill was a cormorant at 327 yards. Love this rifle!

Best,

Will

223 Tikka with in a KRG backbone with TRG furniture and a AEM5 Suppressor. If I want to shoot for cheap and fun it'll be my 10/22 with KIDD barrel and Trigger.

-Kirby

Attachments

• photo63751.jpg
    photo63751.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 12
  • photo71774.jpg
    photo71774.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 15
Right now my favorite bolt gun is my 6.5 Creedmoor. It’s built off a Bighorn tl2 action with a 24 inch straight fluted sendoro Benchmark barrel painted in sniper grey. It’s sitting in a XLR Envy chassis topped with a Athlon Cronus BTR. So fun to shoot, wicked accurate and looks awesome.

Attachments

• 98B49CB2-04A4-4911-B8EF-520D0C8537C7.jpeg
    98B49CB2-04A4-4911-B8EF-520D0C8537C7.jpeg
    68.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 6454EEC1-358B-4DD2-BA68-200B12F3DDAB.jpeg
    6454EEC1-358B-4DD2-BA68-200B12F3DDAB.jpeg
    64.5 KB · Views: 18