• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What's your most fun rifle?

71firebird400

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2009
Bellingham, WA
<span style="font-weight: bold">Not necessarily your best shooting, most expensive, or the 'crown jewel' of your collection; just the one that you get the most enjoyment out of.
</span>

Personally, mine is my cheapest centerfire rifle-

SPS Tactical in a B&C stock and an aftermarket trigger. I'm not preoccupied with shooting the tiniest groups I can, yet this rifle shoots phenomenally well. I have a blast with it because it's so easy to load for and can outshoot me. Definitely less stressful than some of my more expensive rifles where I'm trying to shrink the groups by that last .05-.10 MOA.

Re: What's your most fun rifle?

How True,
My most expensive/ most accurate rifles aren't always the most fun.

Sometimes I get just as much enjoyment out shooting my 03A3

My CZ452.
It seems like I have to <span style="font-style: italic">try</span> to miss with it. It's quiet and points like the finger of Gawd. I am usually a lousy offhand shot with scoped long guns, but my CZ makes me feel like a pro. It is the least ammo-sensitive rimfire I've ever shot and the thing only cost $175 new back in 2002.

For centerfires, I'd probably have to say my Pedersoli Quigley Model Sharps repro. There's something visceral about dropping a finger-sized cartridge into the gaping breech of a 34 inch-barreled work of blued steel and walnut art, closing that massive breechblock, dialing the rear sight up two inches, then sending a five hundred grain chunk of lead on a rainbowlike trajectory that announces its arrival on steel with a resounding "THWACK"...<span style="font-style: italic">three seconds after you pull the trigger!</span> Add black powder (<span style="font-style: italic">real</span> BP, not any of the wannabe stuff) and it takes days to wipe the grin off your face.
cool.gif

Have to agree, though, the most expensive hardware isn't always the most fun.

Definitely my 10/22. It gets the most use and it doesn't take anything to shoot. Plus I can shoot it off of the back porch.

A piece of junk by most standards, my M700VS chambered in .308 Win. and topped with a SS10x42M.

Fun to shoot, and the scores at 600 yards are stunning, and at 1,000 yards the scores are 185+ on average.

The real fun part? Out of the box, no customizations at all.

This is an easy one.

My Dad's old Winchester model 75 22. He cut the barrel down to 16 1/4 inches and reshaped the stock. It has an old Weaver K-2 scope.

Not my most accurate rifle, but it really makes shooting fun. Kind of feels like Dad is there with me.

My HK-91. Especially when I bean someone with a spent cartridge.

I have a 700 SA that has a Douglas barrel. It is not the XX barrel, but the lowend tube. When I first got it, I had copper fouling that was the worst I have ever seen. Machine marks were plainly visible. After five shots, the bore was so orange it looked like someone had drag raced pumpkins down the barrel.

I put it in a McMillan Marksman stock that had once been a repeater, but the mag box area had been filled with Accraglass. I hogged that out and made it a repeater again and bedded the rifle. I also hit the stock with a Krylon camo job. It looks like hammered crap, but I love it.

After about 300 rounds and some elbow grease, the fouling went away. For some reason, it is my favorite rifle. Put a 175 SMK over a dose of R15 and you will get groups in the .75 moa range.

Dad bought me a H&R Targeteer 22lr when I was born in 47, then gave to me in 1957, still in the box like it came.
Every time I pick it up, I recall a different time an place, when you hunted for the table because that was the way it was. It has been cut down to 16 1/2" and sports a can that my son will get someday. It and a old model 600 Remington in .308 I bought in 69-70ish are both just straight up killing machines.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vwhugger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My HK-91. Especially when I bean someone with a spent cartridge.</div></div>
Me too. A real close second is my daughters Springfield Meteor single shot partridge sight .22 Picked it up from a local auction for $18. Spent more to have it DROS'd then it cost. But dang if I can't just about hit anything with it.

My Ruger M77 in .220 swift or my mosin 91/30. I always have a blast with those 2

Sig 522 with an Aimpoint CompM2. Best tree rat removal device I've ever owned.

Although I am the owner of a single rifle, I can't help smiling each time I handle my POF 308 or take it to the range. It's an awesome weapon that I'm proud to own and shoot.

10/22 I bought at a pawn shop a good 15+ years ago. It's cheap and fun to shoot. After all the high $$ guns are back in the truck, I like to camp out and spray down the country side shooting anything and everything from fence posts, to little ponds of water.

My Benjamin Sheridan .22 pellet gun. I got it from my dad when I was 12, I am 44 now and still shoot it almost every day. Its had probably a couple hundred thousand pellets through it.

Shiloh Sharps 50-140.
Everytime I touch it off the cloud of smoke that drifts across the firing line brings a smile to my face.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Noah Mercy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My CZ452.
It seems like I have to <span style="font-style: italic">try</span> to miss with it. It's quiet and points like the finger of Gawd. I am usually a lousy offhand shot with scoped long guns, but my CZ makes me feel like a pro. It is the least ammo-sensitive rimfire I've ever shot and the thing only cost $175 new back in 2002.

Have to agree, though, the most expensive hardware isn't always the most fun. </div></div>

This. My CZ452 is just dead on, a near perfect 22 rifle.

I'd have to say my marlin 22lr is the most fun rifle i own. Sure, my AR is fun, but it's quite a bit of fun to get the 22lr out to 200 and past that.

I have a Les Baer AR-15 and a DPMS SASS that I really like, but I love my SA Garand. I also have other C&R rifles, but the Garand is special.
With the other 2 I almost feel pressure to be sure I shoot small groups.
I use my Garand in CMP Garand matches and I really love hearing the clip eject.

Jim

Another vote for the Garand, my 8-41 cost me $112.70 from DCM.

My CMP Underwood Carbine is catching up but I doubt it passed the Garand.

I forgot about my M1 Carbine. Dad bought it back in the '60s, so it is a pre-CMP Winchester. It's probably a DCM rifle. I don't shoot it as much anymore since the surplus ammo dried up. It is a lot of fun to shoot though.

Jim

I weighted down my wife's GSG-5 and did the same to mine. They feel a bit more robust and they just shoot the dickens out of anything within 25 - 40 yards.

Just topped with a standard BSA red dot... Can make can's dance all day long.

I shot mine at 100 yards and put the clip into the standard NC LEO target (no real groups.. but 22 holes).. just fun fun...

I am hoping my new Mk II Savage will bring more precision fun soon as well.

I would have to say my tactical Remington 870. The power of the 12 gauge and the classic sound of the pump action just puts a smile on my face.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I don't shoot it as much anymore since the surplus ammo dried up. It is a lot of fun to shoot though</div></div>

CMP sells carbine ammo for $200 for 500 rounds, good ammo, hard to beat the price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I don't shoot it as much anymore since the surplus ammo dried up. It is a lot of fun to shoot though</div></div>

CMP sells carbine ammo for $200 for 500 rounds, good ammo, hard to beat the price. </div></div>

I will check that out. Is it surplus or new manufacture? How does it shoot?

Jim

My HK MP5 Clone..bigger than a 22 and chaper to shoot than a 223.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally Posted By: kraigWY
Quote:
I don't shoot it as much anymore since the surplus ammo dried up. It is a lot of fun to shoot though

CMP sells carbine ammo for $200 for 500 rounds, good ammo, hard to beat the price.

I will check that out. Is it surplus or new manufacture? How does it shoot?

Jim</div></div>

Go here, then page down to the Carbine Ammo. Its surplus, it does shoot good, all reports say it works better then the Hornady stuff the CMP also sells for $225 per 500 rounds. It's also reloadable brass.

http://www.thecmp.org/ammosales.htm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"></div></div>

Go here, then page down to the Carbine Ammo. Its surplus, it does shoot good, all reports say it works better then the Hornady stuff the CMP also sells for $225 per 500 rounds. It's also reloadable brass.

http://www.thecmp.org/ammosales.htm </div></div>

I see Remington and Aguila, but no surplus.
I have about one box worth on stripper clips from the '60s left, and I really don't want to shoot it. I know it isn't valuable- but it's the last that I have. I guess my dad, brother and I must have shot ten thousand rounds of that surplus back then. Dad bought 3 carbines- one for each of us. They were $50.00 each back then. My Winny is in excellent condition although it doesn't have a Win stock. The stock is stamped IR IP in the sling cutout. I also have a bayonet marked US M8A1 with BM CO under that. The scabbard is fiberglass- I think. It's green as is the blade. The blade has never been sharpened. The leather handle does show wear though. The blade has a very nice dull green finish.
For some reason people seem more interested in the stock and bayonet than the carbine.

Jim

Sorry Aguila was what I was talking about, not surplus. Still its good ammo and a good buy, cheaper then you can reload.

Thanks Kraig. I know Aguila makes good .22 ammo. Their .30 carbine ammo should also be GTG. I would like to shoot it in the next CMP/Garand match at my club.

Jim

GSG!!!

It's not the most robust gun by any stretch of the imagination, but I love it. It's refreshing shooting .22 sometimes. You can shoot all you want and not break the bank.

I love to shoot my CZ 455. Fun as all get out, like shooting a BB gun when I was a kid.

My m1a scout with an eotech on the front rail... Not very accurate, but a blast to shoot.

I think the funnest gun I have is a Winchester 1873 built around 1900 in 32-20. Picked it up for a wallhanger but also purchased a box of bullets at the same time. My wife thought I was nuts but its a hoot to shoot. I have some pretty nice and pretty expensive rifles but its the coolest in the collection for shooting.

Fun, well I have to go with a 22 since I can shoot more and its fun. And my favorite is a Marlin Golden 39a lever action. Just plain old fashion and fun shooting that doesn't break the bank.

Since it is just for pure fun I might have the winner. I haven't shot this one yet but i have a semi-custom flintlock made by Jack Garner. It's a .40 caliber and should be a lot of fun. I have had it for a couple of years but just haven't had time to take it out. The high grade maple stock on it makes it definately the prettiest rifle I own.

Jim