• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Whats your round count on your current barrel?

19dsniper

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 25, 2010
Fort Hood Texas
I have a M24 that i got used.. i have put 8,973 rounds thrue it so far and it still shoots GREAT!! im going to bring her to 9,000 either today or tomorrow!! I will post some pics after 9,000 of the rifle and the groups! I have a 100yd range on my property, so it wont be groups at 500 like i would like... but you will still be able to see how she shoots!! What are you guys up to and how about some good group photo's? I dont shoot any realy stout loads so im guessing this is most of the reason i am still getting great accuracy with out burning out the tube yet!! my avg is about 2640 on the chrono.

Re: Whats your round count on your current barrel?

my last 308 Win barrel had 5 300 rnds and was not holding the shots any more.

this one in 6,5x47L,

is not yet even started for real.

/Chris

2633 rounds in my 308 to date. Looks like I should be able to expect atleast another 3k rounds of usable accuracy. It seems that short range accuracy is typically retained for a long period of time. The problem comes that you start to get some problems with occassional fliers, increased extreme velocity spread which starts to put a hurting on the accuracy at moderate to long range.

Josh

Ive got just over 4600 on my .308 and it still is just as good as it was new. I clean it about 750-800 rounds. I'll bet that I get more than double what I have now.

There was a youtube video on rifles only or lowlight shooting a GAP barreled 308 with 10000 plus rounds, can not seem to find it now

Sitting about 1200 rds on my current Rem 700.

My winchester had 11k through it but only 2500 on that Kreiger when I sold it.

Well my 1000 m. accuracy isnt what it use to be, but its still hitting at the long ranges. Then again, i have never bought any new brass and am still reloading the same 500 pieces from years ago.. no problems yet. I need to get some new brass and load my pet load up again, just to see if it may be my reloads. Hell, I cant complain at all.. im tempted to buy a new 5R barrel for it and just set it to the side for when i need it.. but then again, maybe i will go with a different manufacturer.

I've got 426 rounds down my DTA in 300 win mag. Just barely braking her in.. Hahaa.

I was informed by DTA that I can expect 3k rounds through her, we'll see.. I do clean her every 70-80 rounds.. I went 110 round one time and WOW.. The accuracy was off.. Lessen learned.

6.5X47L has 2000+ now. It is a Surgeon scalpel made by Preston Pritchett. I have slightly modified it by cutting the barrel down to 22 inches and threading for silencer. But it is still an exceptionally fine shooting rifle. I figure I can shoot 3 or 4 times this before the barrel has appreciable wear that affects accuracy.

2070, AW .308.

Well i didnt bring her to 9,000 today.. wind was gusting up to 40 mph today.. not exactly the best day to shoot for groups.. I will try again for tomorrow!!

about 2700 on my PSS
225 on my 5R
0 on my MLR
480 on my M1A

OMARK Mod 44 .308 1-13 twist maddco medium palma contour barrel 4964 rounds and still holding 1/2 minute shooting 155gr HBC palma match rounds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mtechgunman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">about 2700 on my PSS
225 on my 5R
0 on my MLR
480 on my M1A </div></div>

Come on man shoot that MLR !!!

Havnt had much of a chance to shoot my rifle this year so i only have around 800 down the tube. I estimate I will shoot around 1,500 rounds a year on my .308 starting from 2011.

I dont shoot rimfire all that much, however I would like to get a .22LR... I could see myself putting 10k rounds through one of those in year easily.

Besides that I also have about 2k down on the 17hmr... big waste of money if you ask me. Id much rather shoot a .223 instead with handloads.

about 40
shocked.gif

I stopped counting on my match .308 at 10,000. My M40a1 is less than 1,000.

I have 18 rounds through my .308 SPS Tactical I bought 2 years ago
frown.gif

since bought the rifle used i dont quite know, but i have personally shot 2500 or so out of it

My .308 was at about 6500 rounds when it started throwing shots where they shouldn't be. At GAP now for it's 4th barrel change.

My TRG 22 now has abouT 550 rounds through it.

Im ganna have to say uhh... about 50
smile.gif

She's still a baby

Had 1300 on a stock rem 5r .308...killed it. 2 in 5 shots were fliers. I now have 905 on the new/second 5R. This one is a straight .4-.6 moa shooter with 175SMK. I had Robert Gradous cut the barrel back to 20.25" and put an awesome crown job on it. Shoots even better now. I hammered 19 rounds through it as quick as I could accurately shoot them into a .805" group at a 100y.... vertical spread was less than .5". That works for me.

397 to date on the Gradous built .260 hammer. It's seems to be getting better. Shot a 5 shot .124" group with 140 Berger BTLR. Truely astonishing.

At 3100+ on my factory Remington .308 right now and it still as accurate as it was when new. Since it's not my primary anymore I may go ahead and have a Bartlien with a faster twist installed.

The AE MkII just broke 500 yesterday, but I have been so busy lately it's been hard to get to the range.

I really have no idea as to how many rounds are down the tube. 5,6,700? Definately not more than a grand though. Guess I shoulda kept track.

I have 1328 rounds through my match AR in .223 24" BBL and still shooting 1/2MOA groups. not sure what barrel life will be but until accuracy drops the torture will continue
wink.gif

I got 6000 rounds on my HBAR and can still clean SR1 target with irons off the bench

Right around 1K through the Hart barrel on my Savage .308 with another 200 to go here in the next two weeks.

About 1,200 through my RRA 20" varmint AR

Had 10s of thousands through the factory barrel on my 10/22, recently put an E.R. Shaw tube on it and have put about 500 downrange with it so far.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: [email protected]</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There was a youtube video on rifles only or lowlight shooting a GAP barreled 308 with 10000 plus rounds, can not seem to find it now </div></div>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/15qj032UJ1I"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/15qj032UJ1I" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

DPMS 5.56-727

Win. 70 22-250- 605

Rem 700 25-06 105

The old GAP "Green Gun" has 5200ish, without going to pull the log book.

That gun goes back to when George was working off a stool in the back of somebody elses shop. Come a long way, hasn't he?

My 10/22 had 18,000 down the tube before i replaced the barrel for a Green Mountain. The factory bull barrel was still good enough to go on my brothers rifle.. We just took his old barrel off and replaced it with my old factory bull.. he still shoots it to this day and swears its tons more accurate than his old barrel.

GAP Hospitaller 0
GAP M40A3 0
LMT MWS 0

killing me thinking about it

travel a lot for work

Gap crusader 2500ish still hanging in there like a loose tooth.

My 3 primary rifles:
TRG 300WM- 1,800ish at last count
Surgeon 260 Rem w/ Bartelein- 1,481 rounds, give or take 1 or 2 rounds as of right now. After this weekend, it will have about 1640.
270 Win- unknown, but A LOT of rounds.

Glock 35 (40 cal)- about 7-9K, and only cleaned it once!

Also, a good way to keep track of round counts for reloaders is by counting your primers. I run 1 lot of primers each for my 300WM and 260. I can always get a round count from looking at how many primers I have gone through.

I had two factory 308 VS that went at around 4500 and 5000rds. The guns went from a .5 and .6 to .7s and 1" and really started to open up past 600yds. Round count for me is relative to accuracy. I junk barrels that are still shooting MOA and would last someone with less demands for many years. When shooting past 600yds your needs are a lot tighter than when shooting 100 to 300yds.

You will usually notice your barrel going south at ranges past 600yds. I had a 243XC that would shoot sub .5 moa at 600yds for three shot groups and would only do around MOA at 1000yds. This usually tells me I can use it for a 600yd gun for about another 700 to 800rds then it will be junk.

You can keep shooting rounds through a gun until the bullets start to keyhole but if you want an accurate gun your round count will be a lot lower. It all depends on what your accuracy expectations are. If a gun will not hold close to .5 MOA for me at the ranges I want to shoot I will move on to something else.

If you want hunting accuracy then they will be good for many thousand rounds more. But not for what I want.

Approximately 1700 rounds through the .308, and 600 rounds through the .223, and zero through the .260 as I still have not got my barrel yet.

High round count, one of the many advantages of the "lowly" 308.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: crumpmd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6.5X47L has 2000+ now. It is a Surgeon scalpel made by Preston Pritchett. I have slightly modified it by cutting the barrel down to 22 inches and threading for silencer. But it is still an exceptionally fine shooting rifle. I figure I can shoot 3 or 4 times this before the barrel has appreciable wear that affects accuracy. </div></div>

Ok I don't want to call bullshit or start an argument but what is the secret yo getting 6000-8000 rounds out of 6.5x47? I ask because I am having one built and was thinking I would get 2500-3000 rounds of accurate barrel life.