• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What's your thoughts on Badger M2008...or RSR?

KPK

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2009
Oklahoma
I know this has been discussed...I've searched and read a lot, but nothing seems too new. What's your thoughts on the M2008? Do you like it? Worth the spectial stock inlet, weight, etc?

I was working on a budget .308, but it's eclipsed into this! M2008 or Surgeon RSR...What do you think? RSR would be easier/cheaper, but damn the M2008 would be nice for switching barrels, etc...

Re: What's your thoughts on Badger M2008...or RSR?

Talk to APA about doing a Badger build. Absolute lasers. You will not be disappointed.

Do you know of Jon Beanland? Have you heard of him doing one of these? He's about an hour from me and thought about using him...what do you think?

I will highly recommend Jon to anyone. He is a great guy and builds great rifles. I can send you some pics of a couple rifles I have gotten from him if you like.

i have no first hand experience with the m2008, but i really want one. always wanted a bolt gun with a 60* bolt throw. plus they just look badass..i have heard they are heavy though.

I have no experience with the RSR but I love the Badger action. The bolt is real smooth. I really like the ability to run the AW mags. It makes it nice for reloading since your able to top load with them. The bolt throw is another plus. My next one will probably be on a badger magnum action.

never fired the RSR, but ive played with a gap built badger. boy, it sure felt nice.

I have a Badger M2008 action. It's nice and smooth. No idea of how accurate it is, still waiting on my KMW Stock...Terry Cross, a late Christmas present of a stock delivery would be nothing less then awesome! (sometimes excellence takes time).

Have two M2008's, never owned a RSR.

I love my BO actioned 6.5 CM, it's a friggin laser. It has functioned flawlessly for over 1k rounds now. Some people on here have had issues with the Badger action, but mine has worked like a champ.

As for switching barrels, any integrated or pinned lug should grant you the same ability. I like the 60 degree bolt, and AW mags of the M2008 though.

I have a switch barrel rifle built on a RSR. It is very easy to swap barrels

I had issues with my RSR side bolt release. Problem has been fixed now with a new design from Surgeon.

Badger Actions IMO are a little heavy for a all around 308 build.

In a 308 application go with the RSR or other quality Remington clone

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KPK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you know of Jon Beanland? Have you heard of him doing one of these? He's about an hour from me and thought about using him...what do you think? </div></div>

Jon will build you one of the most accurate rifles you'll ever own PERIOD...if hes only an hour away from you get in your car and start driving now.

When you get there tell him Keith said "Happy Holidays" and get working on my rifle!!!!

I have an .260 rifle built by GAP with the Badger action and love it. Zero problems so far and very accurate. I also like the option of using AW mags and the 60 degree bolt throw. I would certainly recommend this action.

I don't have a Beanland rifle but I've seen quite a few of them and never heard anything but good words about him and the rifles he builds. Like Cigarcop said, if he's only an hour away, start driving!

As for the action, they are both great but if I were in this position I'd go with the Badger. Aside from looking cool as shit, It's also very tough and offers a lot of benefits, especially switch barrel ability.

I have never used a Surgeon. I have 3 M2008's; 260 Rem, 7mm WSM and 338 Norma and couldn't be happier with them. They are a little on the heavy side but I don't find that an issue in any way.

Thanks for all the info guys! I've read and heard a lot about Jon and it's all been good.

I think the Badger is the way I want to go, but let me get some more opinions first...

I am planning on a .284 winchester build on a Surgeon 1086 long action. The action is sitting in my safe ready for a building, but I got the wild hair to build a .308 for a lot more and cheaper shooting. Is there any point in the .308 when I've got the action for the .284? Can I build the .308 on a long action and not look like a dumbass, then get a .284 in the future? Problem is I've already bought the barrel and it's on the way! I'm sure I could sell it if that would be the smartest thing to do...

I built on an rsr last year and am currently doing a badger build. With the surgeon rail and a omw knob I think m rsr cost at least 100 bucks more than the m2008. My badger was 980.00. I think the badger is the way to go. I'm going to be building a 338lm on a badger soon as well rather than on the xl repeater. You can't gob wrong with either one but badger gets ny vote and my money too.

I have 3 Badgers and a few of the Surgeon 591 and XL models. None of the RSR. I'm sure their very nice like their other series.

I think the question you should ask yourself is which stock do you plan on using. If you are going with an AICS, a couple spcific manners, Mcmillan A-5 or MBR, mc rees, KMW sentinel then you can go with the Badger. The RSR can go into many more than certain models of these manufacturers. Basically, you're unlimited on choices with the round action than with the Badger. For instance, if you want to use an A-4, I don't think the Badger will work in the A-4. But please check into the information, I may be wrong.

Their both excellent actions. I still want an RSR myself.

Good luck, that's a tough decision.

Let's just say I'm trying to keep this a "budget" throw around .308...

I love the badger, but damn all the extra you have to put in it with the special stock inlet, etc. seems like it'll probably cost $500 more than the RSR when all said and done. Is this correct? It's like if I get the badger I want an AICS, if I get the RSR I don't mind sticking with a bell and carlson m40 style with the barrel channel inlet for the mtu barrel I have on the way...HELP! lol

You can't really go wrong with either. I obviously went with a Badger, but I'm sure I would have been happy with Surgeon too.

What about just cutting the fat and build my surgeon 1086 into a 300 win mag?

Here's the deal, so I don't sound too stupid...

I got the 1086 with plans to star on a .284 for long rang hunting. Well a 7mm saum came up for sale in the classifieds and I picked it up from JCH. It had a fluted bolt, brake, jewel trigger, etc. It's sweet...well it's primarily the same thing as a .284. Only the 7mm saum will only fit 162 amax or 168 bergers and not 180s...oh well.

Now I'm thinking why do the .284? I really want to do the total custom build, but damn don't need two of the same...how would a 300 win mag in the 1086 be? CAn you use a 20" barrel on the 300? Is that just stupid?

Piss on it. The 1086 can sit in the safe for a 6.5x284 or 284 in the future. I really want a 308 so will order a m2008. I know me and won't be happy unless I do what I really want lol.

I have several M2008's and they're by far my favorite guns. Once you get used to the 60* bolt throw, it feels weird to go back to a 90*. They may be a touch heavy, but they're built like a tank and the bolt throw is super slick. My latest one I had ion bonded, and it's the slickest action I've ever worked.

Lizard-

Curious about the ion bonding, haven't heard of that. My only complaint with my Badger is that the tolerances are so tight that the bolt gets a little sticky when I pull it back. Especially if it's dusty out.

Shawn

Ionbond is getting bigger with the pistol shooters. It is a PVD (physical vapor decomposition) coating. They hang it in a chamber and the particles deposit on the surface of the metal. They look like microscopic straws standing on end. When you put lube on the surface the straws suck it up and hold it making the coating slick and very corrosion resistant. It has an insane hardness and I have heard of some guys running their pistols dry.

I have been strongly considering it for my 1911 and it seems like the way to go. I believe the tolerance change is less than .001. If you want more info contact Ryan Flynn of Aquilla Custom Gun Works at this LINK . He was the in house gunsmith for Ionbond before striking out on his own. He offers the service and his prices are comparable with anyone else.

As for a "budget" rifle on a Surgeon or Badger...that made me laugh. I would run the RSR, but I really like the 60 degree throw of the Badger.

Josh

I would reccomend the ion bonding if you don't mind the cost and wait, as it's a couple hundred to have it coated, and the wait was a while. That being said it's very slick, as he said above, once you lube it with some CLP or whatever oil you use, it stays slick for a while. The only downside I've heard of is paint doesn't stick well to it, so if you're hellbent on painting might be problematic.

Thanks for all the info guys! I have an ion bonded barrel on an AR and it's awesome...who did it?

How dumb would it look to ion bond the action only and paint the barrel or leave it bead blasted???

Has anyone had any dealing using the new black T coating since
Mr. Birdsong passed

Talk to Jon today and he talked me even further into getting the Badger. He said it will end up costing more, but it's tough as nails and they have all "just shot" as he said...

I'm getting one ordered asap.

Lizzard, can I ask what it cost to get it ion bonded?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lizzardking308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would reccomend the ion bonding if you don't mind the cost and wait, as it's a couple hundred to have it coated, and the wait was a while. That being said it's very slick, as he said above, once you lube it with some CLP or whatever oil you use, it stays slick for a while. The only downside I've heard of is paint doesn't stick well to it, so if you're hellbent on painting might be problematic. </div></div>

You have a few incorrect statements from my point of view:

1) It's not a coating, like Cerakote or Duracoat. It's a chemical process.
*An ionic bond is a type of chemical bond that involves a metal and a nonmetal ion (or polyatomic ions such as ammonium) through electrostatic attraction. In short, it is a bond formed by the attraction between two oppositely charged ions.*

2) I have had great success with Cerakote sticking to the ionbond. I had a Badger M2008 action and bolt ion bonded but elected to have a full camo done to the entire rifle. They tried to application of the base coat and said it was good to go. I did leave the bolt body black with the bonding, only painting the bolt handle and rear shroud. The ion bond is a great option for a chemical coating, you will never see rust. Its thin, which with the right prep process will allow a finish like Cerakote to stick with great success. No problems with painting over it.

I have had an action and bolt done in as little as 2 weeks, which is about standard (or longer) from most smiths for a custom coating. Give Springer Precision a call.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: srv656s</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lizard-

Curious about the ion bonding, haven't heard of that. My only complaint with my Badger is that the tolerances are so tight that the bolt gets a little sticky when I pull it back. Especially if it's dusty out.

Shawn </div></div>

How many rounds do you have thru the rifle? I have a few Badger actions and they are all sticky for the first 200, but I will admit the Ion Bonding really does allow it to hold on to oil/lube better. Also, its an option to change out the firing pin spring for a lighter lift. I did that to a few SA rifles and it greatly helped with cycling rate and smoothness of operation.

i have had several rifles built by Jon and every one of them were shooters. I like jon very much and respect him as a person and a gun smith! Lee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KPK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How dumb would it look to ion bond the action only and paint the barrel or leave it bead blasted??? </div></div>

Here is a pic of a muzzle brake thats cerakoted black with a barrel that has been Ion Bonded.

DSC_0294.jpg

I've got a M2008 LA in 300 win mag and really dig the action. As stated before the 60 degree bolt throw is nice and the action is really solid and I've had no issues.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lizzardking308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would reccomend the ion bonding if you don't mind the cost and wait, as it's a couple hundred to have it coated, and the wait was a while. That being said it's very slick, as he said above, once you lube it with some CLP or whatever oil you use, it stays slick for a while. The only downside I've heard of is paint doesn't stick well to it, so if you're hellbent on painting might be problematic. </div></div>

You have a few incorrect statements from my point of view:

1) It's not a coating, like Cerakote or Duracoat. It's a chemical process.
*An ionic bond is a type of chemical bond that involves a metal and a nonmetal ion (or polyatomic ions such as ammonium) through electrostatic attraction. In short, it is a bond formed by the attraction between two oppositely charged ions.*

2) I have had great success with Cerakote sticking to the ionbond. I had a Badger M2008 action and bolt ion bonded but elected to have a full camo done to the entire rifle. They tried to application of the base coat and said it was good to go. I did leave the bolt body black with the bonding, only painting the bolt handle and rear shroud. The ion bond is a great option for a chemical coating, you will never see rust. Its thin, which with the right prep process will allow a finish like Cerakote to stick with great success. No problems with painting over it.

I have had an action and bolt done in as little as 2 weeks, which is about standard (or longer) from most smiths for a custom coating. Give Springer Precision a call.
</div></div>

I don't recall asking your point of view, but oh please do excuse my incorrect usage of a technical term. We're all enlightened as to your vast knowledge of coatings. I'm glad you got cerakoat to stick to it, if you throw enough money at something it'll work, but you already know that...