• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s What's Your View II

All those arenas look the same to me......

Now put me in the woods and I can always notice the subtle differences.

Probably because the woods are nice and places like that cause me a little anxiety.
Surrounded by stupid people, kinda feel like a target as attacking events seems popular to nutjobs, etc........

Reactions: tnichols
Oh look... in the process of getting 16-20” of global warming.

Suck my wankie, Al Gore!

Sirhr
38A9B239-C6C8-4785-94ED-D2FAF7291827.jpeg
80EC3054-17BF-42EB-B2F2-F31C147022EE.jpeg

My view this afternoon was the Atomic Testing Museum, was a very interesting experience. We have something similar back home at Woomera, our nuke testing was carried out at Maralinga. Many years ago we retrieved a WW2 Willy's jeep from the area but had to return it as it "glowed in the dark".

Cool Barn.....

I was at a tradeshow there and a buddy of mine wanted to go in the wost way. Only one of us could go, so I said “go enjoy yourself”. He took a bunch of pics, looked really cool. I’ll catch it next trip ???

Reactions: 1J04 and Barneybdb
Cool Barn.....

I was at a tradeshow there and a buddy of mine wanted to go in the wost way. Only one of us could go, so I said “go enjoy yourself”. He took a bunch of pics, looked really cool. I’ll catch it next trip ???
Have your phone handy, had to give directions to taxi going there and Uber had problems finding us on the way back.

Absolute peach of an early spring day in Hooterville. Warm sun without the typical howling wind. Found myself on the deck this morning ? and late this afternoon once the work was done. Reminded me of that scene in Shawshank when they tarred the roof of the plate factory. Sitting in the late afternoon sun with a cold bottle of beer. Iowa has 10 nice days a year, today was one of them.
2C0AF5AD-05DD-45AA-BB4E-E65665759817.jpeg

Place looks pretty dried up buddy. Thats good. My folks are dry but a lot over by them (page and fremont counties) are still in it.

Just learned of a seed dealer who had his warehouse full of seed and got 3’ of water in it. Seed swelled and burst, dumping some of the dry stuff in the water as the stack shifted......
You fellas that pray say a couple for those folks. Good solid fly-over country folks. Dang.

3-4 more nice days this spring. Then see ya in late Sept or early Oct for the rest. ?

Place looks pretty dried up buddy. Thats good. My folks are dry but a lot over by them (page and fremont counties) are still in it.

Just learned of a seed dealer who had his warehouse full of seed and got 3’ of water in it. Seed swelled and burst, dumping some of the dry stuff in the water as the stack shifted......
You fellas that pray say a couple for those folks. Good solid fly-over country folks. Dang.

3-4 more nice days this spring. Then see ya in late Sept or early Oct for the rest. ?

We’ve dried substantially the last couple of days. Our little slice of Hell sits on a hilltop, so we don’t take water off anything surrounding us.

Unfortunate for that seed dealer as that loss could approach a million plus. I’ve heard the western part of the state has been bad. I29 closed for a bit due to flooding.

Our last night in your country for this trip, drive back to LA tomorrow and fly home tomorrow night if the airline has got their shit together. Just watched the Volcano at the Mirage again from our window. March Madness / Spring Break seems to have hit now, glad we are leaving but some of the outfits I have seen the last couple of days meant no imagination was required. I get the feeling we may have boosted your economy, arrived with two suitcases well below the airline limit, going home with four that are pushing the limit. Thanks guys for all your tips and hospitality. Finishing off my bottle of Makers Mark now before departing here at a reasonable hour, need to drop the hire car off about 5 pm, think it may need a wash and service, have covered about 5000 miles in 7 weeks.

Our last night in your country for this trip, drive back to LA tomorrow and fly home tomorrow night if the airline has got their shit together. Just watched the Volcano at the Mirage again from our window. March Madness / Spring Break seems to have hit now, glad we are leaving but some of the outfits I have seen the last couple of days meant no imagination was required. I get the feeling we may have boosted your economy, arrived with two suitcases well below the airline limit, going home with four that are pushing the limit. Thanks guys for all your tips and hospitality. Finishing off my bottle of Makers Mark now before departing here at a reasonable hour, need to drop the hire car off about 5 pm, think it may need a wash and service, have covered about 5000 miles in 7 weeks.

When you make your way to the Northeast, Boston, get in touch.

We dont hold the past against you folks that were in the penal colony.

Reactions: 1J04 and Barneybdb
@tnichols, very easily, plus a lot of guys have lost their full herd of cows or buildings of pigs.

Glad your safe and drying up a bit.

My folks only live 20 min eastof I-29. Right near the Nishnabotna river. North of Hamburg where it dumps into the MO.

I used to deliver seed for a friend’s dad. He paid $20 hr cash. I moved thousands upon thousands of lbs of seed. Fun work honestly.
Of course it was $10 and I moved more bags than the other guys by double so i got paid more. Never turned Bob down when he asked me if I had time to work. Missed chasing some girls a few times while his son was out being a hound dog. Woulda juwt caused a headache anyways..... We were great friends and room mates in college. He was still trying to finish his associate degree when I finished my bachelors. I also worked 2 12 hr days as a CNA in the ICU to pay rent, and for food and beer.
Good work to be found in farm country if you like hard work and making something.

He probably votes Dem these days........

Tough time for Farmers out west.

The trade war is hitting them already they didnt need this on top of it.

I hate to see them hurt but I think we need to break China and make them cut the shit.

I hope this doesnt become another Democrat wedge to attack Trump because like most attacks Dem use they take advantage of suffering people and use them for their political cause.

Never let a tragedy go to waste they say.

Kind of feel Im doing same bringing it up but thats the importance I place on winning the trade war.

Went out to load some 338 lapua today, had a couple last time that didn’t fire. Was pretty confused and figured bad primers. Well pulled the bullets today so I could go through and prep my brass. This is what I found.
A00224D3-35C6-44A0-B598-E0FB7380F4C7.jpeg

Total rookie mistake!! Someone (me) forgot to put powder in them. Have no clue how I did it. Guess just wasn’t paying attention. Well lesson learn. Check all your cases for powder.

Went out to load some 338 lapua today, had a couple last time that didn’t fire. Was pretty confused and figured bad primers. Well pulled the bullets today so I could go through and prep my brass. This is what I found.
View attachment 7047998
Total rookie mistake!! Someone (me) forgot to put powder in them. Have no clue how I did it. Guess just wasn’t paying attention. Well lesson learn. Check all your cases for powder.

Usually a primer has enough gas to drive a round down the barrel to the point it obstructs.

"Oh look a fail to feed tap, rack reload.........BOOM".

Im guessing with that Mo the lack of recoil was noticeable.

Id study more and take a safety break.

.338 is not a rookie round.

Usually a primer has enough gas to drive a round down the barrel to the point it obstructs.

"Oh look a fail to feed tap, rack reload.........BOOM".

Im guessing with that Mo the lack of recoil was noticeable.

Id study more and take a safety break.

.338 is not a rookie round.
Definitely agree could have turned bad really quick. It was about a week ago this happen and I have been racking my brain on why it happened. Just decided to pull them today.
I need to slow down and take my time. I only load about 20-40 rounds at a time.

Definitely agree could have turned bad really quick. It was about a week ago this happen and I have been racking my brain on why it happened. Just decided to pull them today.
I need to slow down and take my time. I only load about 20-40 rounds at a time.

Not trying to be a nanny, but please insure the bore is clear before using that rifle again.

Oh, Look. Western Washington. Rain. Whood'a thunk it ?

Nice lookin' lumber. Where were the logs felled ?

Should I drive down and bring you some good beer ? :unsure::LOL::LOL::LOL:

My friend you may come down outta that rat race and bring any Beer you wish. I'll obviously damn near drink anything, even Oly. And ya, go figure, RAIN! Still a fun ass day.

View attachment 7047998
And that you didn’t double charge them!

View attachment 7047998

Well at least that case has enough volume and the bullet enough mass that just a primer wont push the bullet into the rifling.

Not the case with 45 or 9mm. Primer only will push a bullet about 2 inches down the barrel on those. I dont want to talk about how I know.

Reactions: Barneybdb
Finally warming up and starting to melt off here. More water headed down the Missouri River.

A few recent pics.

f5yfBJJ.jpg

I7BQf1c.jpg

r8mzOqA.jpg

gE8t5QC.jpg

Was in Helena Yesterday and day before. Was surprised how much snow and %ground cover is still up that way. Melting off pretty fast here in Yellowstone River valley..

Reactions: MontanaMarine
Yesterday morning around 0700. Getting ready to launch and make a ten mile run to get bait at the Sunshine Skyway.

20190322_070336.jpg

While getting bait, we noticed tarpon feeding on our dead bait going back into the water.

Tossed a live one in and got hooked up.
It broke off...

Decided to run a chum line and hooked right back up.
Big fish.
Got it clear of the bridge and into open water. Turned out to be a 150lb class fish that was all but beat. The guy fishing with us kept pointing the rod tip at the fish after many warnings not to do it.
The fish pulled the hook straight and was gone.
Oh well.

Headed back into shallow water to chase snook.
Caught quite a few, like 40 of them and finally moved to another spot to attempt some bigger fish.
We chum the water with a mix of live and dead baits because it brings snook, reds and trout.
Total for the day surpassed 120 snook. Both of my thumbs got raw from lipping the fish.
20190322_180521.jpg

All in all it was a great day on the water and 26 hours later, I'm still sore. :)

Logs n Dogs kinda day yesterday. Making Cedar siding. Gonna take the beams over to the bandsaw mill and cut 1/2" outta them.
Man I have spent a lot of time behind one of those saw mills. My buddy has one and we built his cabin with in of those.

Not trying to be a nanny, but please insure the bore is clear before using that rifle again.
Bore is clear double checked that when the first one didn’t fire. But I appreciate the reminder. ?

Yesterday morning around 0700. Getting ready to launch and make a ten mile run to get bait at the Sunshine Skyway.

View attachment 7048231

While getting bait, we noticed tarpon feeding on our dead bait going back into the water.

Tossed a live one in and got hooked up.
It broke off...

Decided to run a chum line and hooked right back up.
Big fish.
Got it clear of the bridge and into open water. Turned out to be a 150lb class fish that was all but beat. The guy fishing with us kept pointing the rod tip at the fish after many warnings not to do it.
The fish pulled the hook straight and was gone.
Oh well.

Headed back into shallow water to chase snook.
Caught quite a few, like 40 of them and finally moved to another spot to attempt some bigger fish.
We chum the water with a mix of live and dead baits because it brings snook, reds and trout.
Total for the day surpassed 120 snook. Both of my thumbs got raw from lipping the fish.
View attachment 7048240

All in all it was a great day on the water and 26 hours later, I'm still sore. :)

Hey Mike, looks like you had a hell of a day ! (y)(y)(y)

Can any of those species spool you ? You ever had that happen ? Up here in the Great Northwest, we've always heard stories about big Chinooks spooling Fishermen. I haven't caught many big ones, but I don't think any of them ever took off more than 225 to 250 yards (shitty memory, could be lots less than that). Although I run a Nautilus NV Spey as a knucklebuster (Canadians are famous for knucklebusters) and the core of the spool is at least 4". The Nautilus has an additional 1" of fly line backing, giving the core an overall diameter of 6". So, once you're stacking up monofilament on top of the backing, each full turn of the spool represents a lot of line. I never worried about losing a fish because he had gotten to the bottom of the core/ran all the line off the core.

Reactions: Barneybdb
Hey Mike, looks like you had a hell of a day ! (y)(y)(y)

Can any of those species spool you ? You ever had that happen ? Up here in the Great Northwest, we've always heard stories about big Chinooks spooling Fishermen. I haven't caught many big ones, but I don't think any of them ever took off more than 225 to 250 yards (shitty memory, could be lots less than that). Although I run a Nautilus NV Spey as a knucklebuster (Canadians are famous for knucklebusters) and the core of the spool is at least 4". The Nautilus has an additional 1" of fly line backing, giving the core an overall diameter of 6". So, once you're stacking up monofilament on top of the backing, each full turn of the spool represents a lot of line. I never worried about losing a fish because he had gotten to the bottom of the core/ran all the line off the core.

Yeah, the tarpon can for sure.
65lb braid and 80 leader. It really depends on the capacity of the reel.
For tarpon, we chase them after hookup because we can tire them out quickly and bring them in. Otherwise the hammerheads and bull sharks will eat them from our lines.

For snook and reds, they can get you into the mangroves and you'll be lucky to get them out.
Tackle is usually 7' rod with a 2500-3000 class reel with 30lb braid and 30-40 flouro leader.
I used 20/20 yesterday and had three times the number of fish than the others.

Finally warming up and starting to melt off here. More water headed down the Missouri River.

A few recent pics.

f5yfBJJ.jpg

I7BQf1c.jpg

r8mzOqA.jpg

gE8t5QC.jpg

I remember seeing your pics from last winter. Loved all of them, plus these. I'm sure the cold gets old, but I sure could do it for a few years anyway. Long driveway, beautiful views, lots of room for Defilade positions.....

Shot the Spearpoint ranch ELR match today. Targets from about 1500 to 3600. The place is great! Nice terrain and good hosts. The weather was a little tough for shooting; winds gusted up to about 30 and were sustained over 20 at times. Makes hits a little harder. I got some good info for my 375 and met some more good people. I made some good hit and ended up in the top 1/3. It was all about the wind today. Ken from K&P barrels made the longest hit at over 3300 yards in 20+mph winds! That’s no easy task!!

Met George from Badlands bullets this weekend. He is a very sharp guy. I’ll be switching my 375 over to his bullets. I have some of them at home but didn’t get them in time to have them ready for the shoot. They shoot flatter and cut the wind better than the Cutting Edge bullets by more than a small margin. Ken was shooting them for the longest shot.

Lessons were learn and bourbon consumed. It was a great time and I suggest going if you can make one of their shoots. They have a 30 cal and under light class for guys that don’t have or want to build a big gun.