• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s What's Your View II

Spent a couple days last week over at a buddies place putting this mobile shooting bench together. All of the metal, wheels, axels and wagon tongue came out of various scrap piles. The marine grade plywood was donated. The seats, jacks and aluminum box were the only things purchased.
Seats are on swivel bases so to access the right bench you just sit and spin….

Rxn8yc.jpg

….a good start….

qZWDOY.jpg

….metal work done and a coat of paint…

7aRdri.jpg

2mewB8.jpg

….got the top on, still needs some trim and finish. Plywood was a little damp so it’ll have to wait a week or two to dry out….

She’s a big girl, 80” wide by 64” deep…

Last edited:
Spent a couple days last week over at a buddies place putting this mobile shooting bench together. All of the metal, wheels, axels and wagon tongue came out of various scrap piles. The marine grade plywood was donated. The seats, jacks and aluminum box were the only things purchased…

Rxn8yc.jpg

….a good start….

qZWDOY.jpg

….metal work done and a coat of paint…

7aRdri.jpg

2mewB8.jpg

….got the top on, still needs some trim and finish. Plywood was a little damp so it’ll have to wait a week or two to dry out….

She’s a big girl, 80” wide by 64” deep…
Nice

Quick pic of garage mahal progress OTW in to work last night… Screen for stucco is up, assume they’ll knock that out mañana, then rock work at some point this week. I hope.

Damn I’m ready for this project to be wrapped up.

IMG_3141.jpeg

For all the noise and banging around that kept me awake all dang day, it doesn’t look like a lot was actually accomplished.

They got most of the blocking up for the ‘ledge’ that will be at the bottom of the stucco, and top of the rock portion of the wall facings:

IMG_3149.jpeg

Kind of like this ledge on the end of the garage (and various places around the house), but at the 10’ mark instead of down low like this one:
IMG_2989.jpeg

Didn’t have time to see what else was done…if anything. Going on less than two-hours sleep; gonna be a fun shift. 🫤

Did I mention how ready I am for this project to be completed?

Last edited:
Reactions: Balor
For all the noise and banging around that kept me awake all dang day, it doesn’t look like a lot was actually accomplished.

They got most of the blocking up for the ‘ledge’ that will be at the bottom of the stucco, and top of the rock portion of the wall facings:

View attachment 8300158

Kind of like this ledge on the end of the garage (and various places around the house), but at the 10’ mark instead of down low like this one:
View attachment 8300173

Didn’t have time to see what else was done…if anything. Going on less than two-hours sleep; gonna be a fun shift. 🫤

Did I mention how ready I am for this project to be completed?
I started tearing out uneven impossible to clean slate (with expanded metal in it on top of linoleum) in my kitchen. Found damaged subfloor next to sliding back door that was was easiest to fix by replacing and widening sliding door. Also tearing out carpet and putting in pergo with new base boards. Also replacing carpet on stairs with pergo. Doing it all myself.

Haven't finished drywall by sliding door, or started putting anything on stairs yet.

Started tearing out slate July 1st.

Will do a full better post later with pics once I get it done.

Reactions: 91Eunozs
Ran into a giant sourwood today 18.9 inch ( 19 if converted to 1 inch classes) diameter. 6 inches short of a national record record. Short lived junk tree that rarely gets about 12 inches in diameter.
409824033_10168987006705427_2260246382604344942_n.jpg
409174085_10168987006770427_7547226027585069699_n.jpg

Reactions: Oldloser
Stucco’s almost finished, then the rock goes up. Then paint.

IMG_3167.jpeg

Now I know why stucco is almost as much as rock. Took them a long time to get to this point.

edit: didn’t think I caught it, but got a blast from the past along with a view of the garage in another pic…pretty far away from Randolph, but I guess we‘re close enough for an extended outside downwind pattern.

IMG_3166.jpeg

Last edited:
My wife is pursuing older jeeps online. How's the Diesel run?
We had one and loved it. But some broad pulled out in front of my wife when my wife had the right of way and it got totaled. It was a sweet ride. Like most diesels it accelerates effortlessly and In stock form it ripped pretty good. Even without regearing on 37's that German 8 speed shined like a damn star. Super weird getting 25 mpg on 37's in a Jeep. Even stop and go in town with no highway miles the worst I ever saw was 17-19 including a regen.

Very few annoyances overall. We'd have gotten another, but after fighting with insurance for a fucking year and getting pregnant again with our 4th it didn't make sense.

Reactions: Oldloser
To continue the sidebar, we loved our ‘15 Grand Cherokee with the 3-liter turbodiesel.

Best of both worlds: V8 power/torque and V6 (better actually) mileage; we got 27+ mpg cruising at 75-80 mph…almost 700-mile range when light on the throttle. This was on a road trip my son and I took out to Nevada to attend a week-long pistol course at Front Sight a few years ago:

i-HBLK6Rf.jpg

OT: stucco finished on garage mahal; just waiting for it to dry a couple more days before paint. Fifteen pallets of rock delivered today, and they started the tile work in the casita portion.

IMG_5683-X5.jpg

IMG_5899-4K.jpg

wood-look tile that matches the tile in the house going into the main area of the casita, and some funky stuff my wife picked out for the bathroom floor. Something close to a basic subway tile for the shower walls, and a variation on penny tiles for the shower floor and the shower niche(s)…basically rough-finished striated marble cut into little circles.

IMG_4443-4K.jpg

Todays winter walk

49801AF8-D0E9-4158-98D4-D6406DD5C2C8.jpeg

788306D3-F7EA-4816-AEBF-04FFA0C4704E.jpeg

1E7F81FD-2B8B-4DCE-8A17-02DF0CA9FC78.jpeg

FDB061A5-737B-4AB6-A646-9FE7B03268BB.jpeg

4D6272BF-4929-48DE-BE50-9D57E37BDFD4.jpeg

4B048633-FE23-492D-BB1E-43FE5E058F7F.jpeg

D52906D5-7B1F-4F80-B284-11AD408B4732.jpeg

3416405D-6F73-40F2-868E-0158F5E11405.jpeg

This where I ran into a lady worried that a goat in the pen was going to get attacked by a coyote. She was searching wildly for a number to call so someone would come save the goat. Probably walks by crying babies without a second look.

F3BC9665-6E77-4F0B-8889-33D0C4D27A29.jpeg

32B03C20-64D3-4946-A094-A1324BED2868.jpeg

Massachusetts has enough BS

708329FA-DDB4-4767-BD50-5015E3C05E41.jpeg

Wet and cold here today, but they finally started on the rock facings for garage mahal:

IMG_5930-4K.jpg

Looks like there’s enough space to drop in some 4’x8’ AR500 plates behind the rock…at least on the corners. Gears are turnin’
That’s a good idea. I was wondering what the effectiveness of the rock is at stopping or slowing bullets combined with the mesh and cement behind it?
For sure would be great with some steel behind it.
I’m only asking cause you know how it goes with cabins in north Idaho… 😜

I always wondered how they attached the rock to the house. I’ve been thinking of doing it to my house and Always thought it was concreted directly to the walls of the house
Me too…. Was surprised to see that gap.

There is a “stone lug” poured into the foundation that the rock facing sits in, but yeah, I always assumed it was mortared to the wall too. Maybe they do that with cinderblock construction, but this is stick-built.

Reactions: Sniperwannabee
That’s a good idea. I was wondering what the effectiveness of the rock is at stopping or slowing bullets combined with the mesh and cement behind it?
For sure would be great with some steel behind it.
I’m only asking cause you know how it goes with cabins in north Idaho… 😜

New England houses in the time of King Philips War, 1675, were found to be built with brick in the walls up to about bed height so people could sleep soundly at night not worrying about a random shot ripping through the wall killing them in their sleep.

New England houses in the time of King Philips War, 1675, were found to be built with brick in the walls up to about bed height so people could sleep soundly at night not worrying about a random shot ripping through the wall killing them in their sleep.

Over a third of the European colonies were massacred in 1622. With similar raids conducted every few years after that. It left a deep scar in the memory of the First Families. The Colonists lived in constant fear of Indian massacres. Homes were sited and built to be blockhouses.

I like your garage/shop. I really like the tall walls.

However, everytime I read the word Garage Mahal, I want reach through the screen and smack the woman out of you! Same with the word Man Cave...........please don't let women name your hangout locations.

Be a man, call it your SHOP!

Looked closer when I got home at O’Dark-thirty this mornin’ and they were there…strap type vs what I was looking for. You can kind of see one in that original pic.

Better pic here from this afternoon when I was rolling out for work:

View attachment 8313409

Yep. Looks like they are adding them as the go. Going to be gorgeous when they are done!

Armory’s in the other garage…though the casita will eventually become a climate-controlled reloading room too. A couple years down the road, after we finish all the landscaping, the master bath remodel, the kitchen remodel, and then eventually the expansion on the other side of the house:

IMG_5724.jpeg

Gonna blow out the back wall on my daughter’s bedroom to make it a large secondary family room/home theater (in green…already has an en-suite bathroom), with a glass-walled passage (in black) to a second casita, one-story structure this time (in red) that will then become the ‘real‘ pool house/guest room.

Progress on the rock and tile work:

IMG_5961.jpeg

IMG_5957-4K.jpg

IMG_3244-4K.jpg

IMG_3243-4K.jpg

IMG_5954-4K.jpg

IMG_3240-4K.jpg

Armory’s in the other garage…though the casita will eventually become a climate-controlled reloading room too. A couple years down the road, after we finish all the landscaping, the master bath remodel, the kitchen remodel, and then eventually the expansion on the other side of the house:

View attachment 8315594

Gonna blow out the back wall on my daughter’s bedroom to make it a large secondary family room/home theater (in green…already has an en-suite bathroom), with a glass-walled passage (in black) to a second casita, one-story structure this time (in red) that will then become the ‘real‘ pool house/guest room.

Progress on the rock and tile work:

View attachment 8315598

IMG_5957-4K.jpg

IMG_3244-4K.jpg

IMG_3243-4K.jpg

IMG_5954-4K.jpg

IMG_3240-4K.jpg
I know some kids that would rip down them stairs.

I know some kids that would rip down them stairs.
Indeed…not finished yet. Treads, bannister and railings soon. Metal with a gate at the top for the hoist to lift stuff up to the storage area.

also why the ceiling drywall’s not up yet. A lot of wiring, bracing, etc. still remaining to go in up top

Indeed…not finished yet. Treads, bannister and railings soon. Metal with a gate at the top for the hoist to lift stuff up to the storage area.

also why the ceiling drywall’s not up yet. A lot of wiring, bracing, etc. still remaining to go in up top
Looking phenomenal!

And just saw we’re on page 458! This is what I almost bought instead of building that garage…

i-TN3jg2L.jpg

i-VXzrJD4.jpg

…my CPA wife reminded me that we could afford the car, or the garage, but not both, LoL.

Maybe in a couple years if I push second retirement off a bit longer; maybe a spyder though.
Real nice color. Not a fan of owning a red ferrari.