• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Wheel Gun: Feeling the need for a .44 Mag

Hawk45

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2002
Ohio
After about 15 years I finally picked up a nice used S&W .357 3" and forgot how much fun a good wheel gun is to shoot. Now I have the itch to grab one in .44 (I'll reload for special and magnum).
I'm leaning towards another Smith DA, but the Ruger SA's look great too. Anyone here have love for the .44 mag wheel guns?

Dear wife (I mean Santa).. bring me a early gift?

Re: Wheel Gun: Feeling the need for a .44 Mag

I have a S&W 29 (6.5") and have owned both an "old" and "new" model Ruger Super Blackhawk. The Rugers were purchased about 3 years after the 29. I have iarge hands and detested the small single action grip. If you do decide to go Ruger, look for an "old model" - the "new model" sucks. I had one of those for 1 week. Loading was a PITA with the goofy loading gate cylinder unlock system. Went on a quest for the "old model". Kept it for quite a few years, but never shot it much, so sold it.

IMHO, the 29 is the way to go.

Kevin

I have an Old model Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44mag with a 7.5" barrel. I love everything about it except the round triggerguard. I can deal with that though.
It is very accurate and not unpleasant to shoot.
I have read where a lot of people prefer a double action revolver for quicker follow-up shots, but I don't really see where you would be shooting a .44mag fast. It isn't slow to shoot the SBH.

I own two .44 Mag pre model 29s, 4" from 1957, 6" from 1958.

LOTS of fun to shoot. Esp the 6" out to 100 yds. I tried hitting steel on a rifle range once at 420 yards and we couldn't see the hits well enough for me to walk the rounds out to the target. Then I bought a model 429 scandium-titanium model, too light to shoot a LOT, but a nice addition.

I probably own over 50 S&W wheel guns. I especially like shooting my model 19s (2", 4" and 6") and they're dead nuts accurate.

As long as my eyes hold out, they're some of my favorite toys.

Also own a .45 Colt SAA from 1957 and a 3d gen gun from 1982 in .44-40. I go through phases where I can't shoot my HK P7M8 enough, then my 1911s keep me occupied. Looking forward to grandkids 'cause my kids never got into shooting.

5303.jpg

http://www.ruger.com/products/superRedhawkAlaskan/models.html

For me there's no contest, I love the S&Ws. A little jealous of Norm and his two pre 29s and 50+ S&Ws. Go with the older pinned and recessed Smith's. Quality of the older revolvers IMHO is much better than the new ones.

Now a little eye candy. The top two are a 3" 629 and a 4" 29. The bottom two are a 624 and 24 3" 44spls.
[img:center]
f05bvl.jpg
[/img]

Nice!! I'm keep my eye out on the trade sites for some pre-lock models.

Have care,however, if your handloads are heavy. The Smiths will get loose fairly quickly with hot loads. I had a dead nuts Smith that shot loose after a few hundred hunting loads...went back for factory tune up, but was never as accurate afterward. The big double action Rugers hold up much better. You may have to try a couple to find a really accurate one, but you'll have it almost forever. JMHO

Hey Hawk,

I'll echo a bit on what Former Naval said about older S&W.

I believe it was 29-4 and previous models where assembly was known to "rattle loose" after a good number of high power fullhouse magnum loads were fed through them.

29-5 and later were built a bit stronger if my memory serves.

I think it's 29-8 models(maybe even -9) that then go to transfer bars(vs firing pin built into hammer) and also the litigation-lock just above the cylinder release lever.

That being said, unless you're some hardcore max load +5% type of guy and you're shooting it like you would an MP5 with unlimited ammo, any of them will serve you well.

I have a 29-6 and two different Lew Horton 29-3 models, 6" and 3".

I'm more a fan of 6" wheel guns. I'm likely selling the 3" to a very good friend of mine who has wanted one like it for some time. The 3" is quite a handful, but still fun . . . in an evil sort of way!
grin.gif

I believe S&W or even Colt make a smoother operating and classier revolver. But I think Ruger makes a more stout revolver.
29sixers.jpg

2012-03-10_21-05-26_436.jpg

I doubt I'll be feeding either any max loads. In all honesty I'll shoot probably 2x as much 44Spl as I will mag loads, if not more. But always nice to be able to wind'er up every once in a while or when I'm in the back country.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have care,however, if your handloads are heavy. The Smiths will get loose fairly quickly with hot loads. I had a dead nuts Smith that shot loose after a few hundred hunting loads...went back for factory tune up, but was never as accurate afterward. The big double action Rugers hold up much better. You may have to try a couple to find a really accurate one, but you'll have it almost forever. JMHO </div></div>

Around 1999, my first pre-model 29 stopped working. Out of time, hand broke. Sent to S&W, they replaced and fitted the new hand, closed up the barrel-cylinder gap, sent it back. IIRC it was about $175 plus S&H there and back which I thought was a very good deal. And the gunsmith there told me I got the very last hand they had in the shop for that gun.

I'm very careful with it and its 6" (6-1/2?) twin, no full-power loads lately, just punching holes in paper.

I just traded for a 6.5" 629 Power Port Classic. I think I just found my new CC piece! Now to find a holster to let me use the Tasco ProPoint holster that came with it!! HeHe. What a fun gun to shoot! No recoil, and points like a dream. I may dump the scope in reality and make it a nice kick around the woods gun. The gun didn't come with the rear sight, so I'm trying to figure out what would be my best option for a fixed set-up. You will really be happy if you pick one up.

Not to take anything away from Smith and Wesson, but the Colt Anaconda is one of the finest out there if you can find one. One of the only guns in my safe, that ill never sell. Very accurate out to 100 yards.

I own a Ruger SBH. Buy the Hogue grip and life is VERY good (for the medium to larger hand size).

Have shot full house loads since the day I purchased it used from a gunsmith/pawnshop in Great Falls, Montana - circa 1995.

Accurate and a blast to shoot as well. Still as tight as the day I bought it.

Nice large frame smiths still show up but there are a lot out there with questionable timing and lockup. I dont know why but I still like the older smiths. The 200gr gold dot and the barnes (44 special) 200 grainers at about 1000fps are decent loads that arnt to hard on the guns.

Had a Ruger single actions, didnt like the angle an required shooting style of the grip for a 44. Sold it an picked up a 629 love it, accurate an fun gun to shoot!

The single actions grip does take some getting used to. It doesn't give you that "manly grip" that a lot of big bore handgun shooters like. They usually do seem small and they are designed to rotate in your hands which some find a bit unnerving but they can be extremely accurate. Follow up shots are slower but using your left thumb to cycle the hammer isn't really any slower than double action firing of a big caliber magnum and usually leads to more accurate follow up shots.

Nothing wrong with either a Single Action or a Double Action, the double action due to design usually feels like it has less recoil. Either type in big bore pistols take a while to master but they are plenty accurate for target or hunting way past what most think possible.

Good luck with your purchase

Topstrap

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: normbal</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have care,however, if your handloads are heavy. The Smiths will get loose fairly quickly with hot loads. I had a dead nuts Smith that shot loose after a few hundred hunting loads...went back for factory tune up, but was never as accurate afterward. The big double action Rugers hold up much better. You may have to try a couple to find a really accurate one, but you'll have it almost forever. JMHO </div></div>

Around 1999, my first pre-model 29 stopped working. Out of time, hand broke. Sent to S&W, they replaced and fitted the new hand, closed up the barrel-cylinder gap, sent it back. IIRC it was about $175 plus S&H there and back which I thought was a very good deal. And the gunsmith there told me I got the very last hand they had in the shop for that gun.

I'm very careful with it and its 6" (6-1/2?) twin, no full-power loads lately, just punching holes in paper. </div></div> Wow I feel like a complete dumbass. When I first started to read your post I actully thought you broke your hand shooting your revolver. Got to agree with 317millhand here. The Colt Anaconda is my favortive revolver of all time. Now only if I could find a nice used one or if colt could start to make them again.

The OP didn't mention what he plans to do with the new revolver, which makes recommending specific models impossible. Speaking in general terms, I've owned a Ruger SBH in the past. It was a good pistol and it accounted for some venison on the table. Even so, I was never really thrilled with it. I currently own 7 or 8 S&W 29 / 629 revos and I am quite happy with them. My oldest one is 29-2 from the late 70's. I baby that one, which means it rarely sees anything but .44 Specials. All of the newer models benefit from the endurance enhancements that came along in the early 90's. They have all seen their fair share of full power magnums and they remain as tight as the day they left the factory. My 3" full lug 629 is a handy packing pistol. My 4" Mountain Gun in great for backing up a rifle or shotgun. My 6" guns are good all-around shooters/ hunters. My two scoped 8 3/8 629's are extremely accurate and work very well for hunting from a tree stand. It's hard to over-state just how good these revolvers are. Anyone who tries one is not likely to be disappointed.

HRF

Buy a 45LC it will outperform the 44 Mag anyday. But buy a Ruger! You will not wear it out. Even with stout loads. And you can load "blackpowder" equivalent loads for just plinking, then throw the throttle to it if you want to get serious. The whole grip/frame is much more pleasant than that POS SBH in the 44Mag in 7.5 or 10".

I am pretty partial to the Ruger Super Redhawk ones in the .44 Magnum, just they don't make the ones I like anymore, they had a great grip for small hands.

My only advice is to get a midsize .44 instead of a huge magnum. I bought a Taurus .44 mag Raging Bull 7" barrel. I love it but its just an oversized, loud, and expensive .22.

.44 Mag is a great cartridge. I recently started playing with it. There are so many loads for it. I honestly don't know if I like shooting it more or loading for it. Aside from .357 I put off Magnums for a long time. I am no recoil freak so the thought if it made me hurt. But as I have found, there is a technique to shooting Magnums that makes it comfortable and fun. Glad I took the step and there is no better way than with a .44 mag. You can easily load little bunny farts or big ol crowd pleasers with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pepperbelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I have an Old model Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44mag with a 7.5" barrel. I love everything about it except the round triggerguard. I can deal with that though.
It is very accurate and not unpleasant to shoot.
I have read where a lot of people prefer a double action revolver for quicker follow-up shots, but I don't really see where you would be shooting a .44mag fast. It isn't slow to shoot the SBH. </div></div>

I have the same in .41 Mag and agree with the fast follow up. The amount of "work" going into the trigger to pull back the hammer and cycle the cylinder would, like all things, take a ton of training in order to be accurate. I like the single action for simplicity and it isn't slow on follow up.

....Colt Anaconda......great DA trigger and accurate....

DSC00813.jpg

....5 DA shots at 25 yds.....screwed up the third shot....

photo.jpg

To Glock45 and Boone3380, my Dad has a blued 3" 29 from the Performance Center before Lew Horton was famous. That this has a scary assed single action trigger. Damned near put a bullet where it didnt belong twice. Vicious recoil with full house factory loads! Cuts my thumb everytime I shoot the damned thing. But truly an AWESOME action job

I recently got into revolvers and absolutely love it..

I first thought of revolver hunting because I wanted to try my hand at hunting with pistols. I bought a Ruger Super BlackHawk Hunter in 44Mag and a Ruger Single Six Hunter. I have had them both for about two months and can't seem to put them down. Every time I go out shooting, they come along.

I find them to be an absolute blast and see many more in my future.

...perhaps I should start looking into S&W??!

My father-in-law left me a Ruger new model Super Blackhawk in .44 mag. It has the 4-3/8" barrel. Tons of fun, and accurate to a fault. It has become a favorite in the month or so since Pops passed away. I hope he knows how much I enjoy it.

Over the years I've had a few 629s and unfortunately they always seemed to shoot loose with 300+ gr bullets. Eventually I thought about using the internet to see if like-minded people had the same problem and it turned out to be so.

These days my wheelgun of choice is a Dan Wesson .44 Mag.

If you never plan on shooting the heavy stuff I recommend sticking with a S&W though since they are still being made and can be found for little money.

Between the big 3 in .44 revolvers s&w has the best balance of strenth and finess.

I had 2 anacondas. Both bought new. The 1st lasted 23 rounds worth of Buffalo Bore 300gr rounds b4 the internals let loose. Sent it to colt for the fix and sold it. The 2nd has been fed 185 gr light loads and does just fine. It's build quality feel is not in par with it's price tag though in my opinion.

The ruger redhawk I have is the work horse. It has taken every handload I've given it with ease. Overbuilt to the point you know you gave a machine in your hands, but that's ok cause when it comes down to slinging 300+ grainers at MAX load it will hang in there.

The smiths are a trick bag. By far the nicest triggers outta the box. My 29 collection sees a diet of mild lead magnum loads but haven't flinched at 240 gr stout loads. I wouldn't go above that though to keep the balance. My 629s have proven themselves with some max loads but I wouldn't make it a steady diet. Like all guns magnums havee a limited life span depending on how you treat them.

Overall though, this guy gets the nod 90% of the time.

g-02.jpg

I have a Taurus Raging Bull. Mine has dual cylinder lock up, not sure if all of them came with this or not, but it handles the Buffalo Bore 340gr +P+ just fine. Recoils not bad and its hard to beat the price. Picked mine up for 400 with ammo and 4 holsters.

of all my 44 mag revolver, my favorite is the Smith 629 4 inch, great balance, proportions and easy to carry openly on hikes and whatnots.

I'm a big fan of the 44 Mag and have Rugers, Colts, and S&W's. This Redhawk gets shot the most;
sdilbc.jpg

Followed by the S&W's; here's one of my favorite, a Pre-29.
303cl5c.jpg

And, of course an Anaconda.
2ch759e.jpg

My personal thoughts will echo those of ROLEXrifleman. My Redhawk is the go-to 44 mag, it gets shot a LOT and I have complete confidence in it. If I ever manage to break the thing I'll take that as a personal accomplishment more than a mechanical failure. The Ruger's are extremely easy to break down and with some shimming and polishing to the internals it has a very nice double action. Single action isn't quite pristine as I'm not enough of a gunsmith to attack the hammer notch. The Anaconda has a heavy double action but probably the lightest single action of any of the 44's I own; it is extremely accurate but I only feed 240gr loads through it. I figure that I'd rather not stress it with heavy stuff, I have the Ruger for that purpose. The S&W's, in my opinion, are probably the best "all-around" 44. The double action is smooth on all of them, the single action is typically really really good. The earlier guns weren't as strong as the later ones (with the endurance package) but they hold together fine if you don't abuse them. I prefer older Smiths (pre-lock) and would recommend a 629-3 or 629-4 to someone looking for a solid 44. Those engineering revisions will incorporate all the features of the endurance package, yet maintain the older style forged hammer/trigger and do not include the lock. However, if you want to throw 300gr bullets, then you should really consider the Ruger's. They are excellent revolvers and can be found for relatively cheap.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ROLEXrifleman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Overall though, this guy gets the nod 90% of the time.

g-02.jpg

</div></div>

NICE wheelgun!!!!
grin.gif

I'm having the same problem. I favor the P&R S&W's but they will come loose with incessant hunting loads. Then there is the Ruger 5.5" Redhawk in 44 mag. Hell for stout.....a nice trigger could be had. And the Ruger appears to be more affordable at this time....at least in my area. I'm leaning towards the Ruger right now & I need my Christmas present.
relentless

I love revolvers! The big N frame Smith's are some of my favorites, although the only one I have right now is a 25-7. My .44 is a 4" stainless Anaconda and it shoots great. Not quite as heavy duty as the S&W and nowhere near as robust as the Rugers but it shoots great. Personally, I prefer the 3-4" range on wheelguns. They seem to balance perfectly while the 6" and up feel front heavy to me.

ishoot17...you're a fast mover if you go to the Smith already. I had single action Rugers for 15 years before my first Smith 29, I think I'm a little bit slow. I like my single action Rugers for hunting, for bouncing around in the Bronco, and long-ish range targets. But for a legitimate self-defense .44 mag, the double action wins for me. I timed myself unloading 6 thumpers on target from my 4 5/8" SA vs my buddies 5" Model 629...6 seconds vs 3 seconds. I sure felt like I was shooting my single action faster than that, but the timer rarely lies. So now I have a 29-2 4", she's a beauty and I do love to carry it in the hills. I won't punish it like a Ruger, though. I do think it's capable of the accuracy I've achieved from the 7 1/2" Ruger SBH hunter...time and load development will tell.

Just picked up a new Taurus 44M. Honestly one of the most accurate wheel guns I have shot only had it a couple of weeks and put a couple hundred rounds of specials through it and about 50 rounds of hornady 300grs. Shoots great locks up tight, like it better than the Anaconda. Porting is great but really bright at dusk. Just a pleasure to shoot. Personally never been a fan of the Rugers. For the price I am more than impressed. I will have to see after a thousand rounds or so how it is holding up. Mostly shoot specials for plinking but like the big loads for carrying in bear country.

Both my dad and I have Ruger Super Redhawks in 44mag, 9.5" barrels.

They are not "defense guns" but more of a hunting weapon. I have yet to take anything bigger than a squirrel with it though. I really really enjoy shooting it, everything from soft 44spc type loads up through what the S.Redhawk was designed to handle.

I actually enjoy shooting a good wheel gun more than any of my semi's... go figure.

I find SWs to be a "finer" revolver than a Ruger, but it is undebateable that a Ruger will stand up to high pressure loads better than an SW.

I'm a sucker for a 4" bbl revolver - though I admit, I'm not a hunter.

I own a Redhawk .44, but have barely ever used it. If I was serious about a .4X" magnum revolver, I would absolutely go after a .41mag. The .4" bullet diameter in handguns is the sweet spot as far as I'm concerned because they're so versatile. You can get effective bullets from 110gr up to 230 (and maybe more).

I just don't dig SA revolvers. I don't like their feel, and I don't like the action. I disagree that it takes "tons and tons" of training/practice to drive a DA revolver well. It takes some practice, but it isn't that tough.

Update from original post.. she came through!! I love her!!

dsc0128ny.jpg

Sweet pistol!! You'll enjoy that quite a bit!!

Range report update when you can.

CONGRATS!!!