• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Wheelgun smiths?

HSNARC

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2010
Central Illinois
I have a Colt Trooper Mk III .357mag that my dad got me when i was in high school for my first centerfire pistol. Now it sits in my safe because i shot the hell out of the thing and its worn out. I need a smith that can get my favorite revolver back to like new working order. Its out of time and pretty sloppy. Will Colt still work on these? Any ideas about who will?

Re: Wheelgun smiths?

The MKIII (basically the same gun as a MKV, King Cobra, and Anaconda) has sintered parts that cannot be worked without breaking through the hardened outside edge. Basically, if it's out of time, you start replacing parts until it works again. On the older style actions (Python, Detective Special, 3-5-7) you could work the forged internals to get them back in spec, but with the newer generation that just isn't possible. Best bet is to call Colt and see if they still have the parts on hand to fix it; if they can do it they'll be reasonably priced but extremely slow. If they don't have the parts then I'm not sure who to point you do as the only remaining Colt smiths are pretty focused on the older guns. I'd also recommend checking on Coltforum.com as they may know of a smith who can do it.

Re: Wheelgun smiths?

The job all depends on where the actual wear is, I would be thinking though that fitting a new hand and some new springs could solve any issues, Maybe a new ratchet.

You can still get the parts for them and it is not too big a deal if nessecary to build up the hand and thev shape it and harden it.