• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

When the music stops.....

Good read, imagine a lot of guys are asking this question. Thank you for your service, its no longer needed though, time to go home. The mantra should be go home do what you can to make a sht load of money, use that GI bill while its still there, get the education in something useful like engineering, skip law and liberal arts, you will starve with former and disgrace your character with the former, help your fellow vets follow, open doors, don't trust civilian counterparts....ever,they really don't like you, most are scared of you, have fun with that, don't get pissed at them, its just part of their make up.

Didn't mean it in a harsh manner, just my experience as well as most of my buds.

That's a shame, Jerry, because some us really do care. I may not share your common experience but I have faced death enough times to know I don't fear it. Often it seems as though it might be a big relief. If the shooting starts I don't doubt I will shit myself, or puke. Or both. But then the reality is either you fight or you die. And you may die anyway, but Hoka Hey, brother, lets fuck something up on the way out. Some of us get it.

I do fear slavery.

Didn't mean it in a harsh manner, just my experience as well as most of my buds.

I can't put into my framework what someone who has been in combat and lost brothers in arms has gone through. I've never had a bond forged in persistent, potentially lethal danger. I think people who have are those who've been tempered mentally and like all things placed under stress sometimes the result is a stronger person and sometimes there are fractures and the end result is weaker although having performed at a much higher level than those untested. Perhaps civilians who never taken the time to try and read and listen about veteran issues manifest their ignorance through a fearful reaction to veterans?

I feel pity for those who fear men who have fought but I won't pretend I could truly understand someone who has. I don't say to servicemen 'thank you for your service' anymore because as I read more accounts of life in Iraq/AF I can't really rationalize what I'm thankful for. It's not indifference, it's not ingratitude but rather I don't want to seem flippant as though by saying 'Thanks' the debt is paid or 'we're good'. I feel a sense of responsibility however. To be an active citizen, to be aware of what has been represented by others on my behalf in a manner I've never truly wanted to or feel capable of doing. There's nothing more important to me than my family and there's nothing more I want than to raise my boys and make them good American men. I guess if I'm going to say thank you then it's by doing that rather than raising two more humanoids who live to consume, gossip and watch whatever's on the idiot box with no more critical thought than a docile hamster.

Hmm... cigar+scotch makes me waffle some...

I personally dislike when people Than me for my service, hell it was my honor to do it and the best time of my life, plus I know they don't really mean it. If they were thankful, they would take care of these guys better when they get back without a leg, arm, or damaged in other ways unseen.

Tommy

I went into a public-'ouse to get a pint o' beer,
The publican 'e up an' sez, "We serve no red-coats here."
The girls be'ind the bar they laughed an' giggled fit to die,
I outs into the street again an' to myself sez I:
O it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, go away";
But it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins", when the band begins to play,
The band begins to play, my boys, the band begins to play,
O it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins", when the band begins to play.

I went into a theatre as sober as could be,
They gave a drunk civilian room, but 'adn't none for me;
They sent me to the gallery or round the music-'alls,
But when it comes to fightin', Lord! they'll shove me in the stalls!
For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, wait outside";
But it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide,
The troopship's on the tide, my boys, the troopship's on the tide,
O it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide.

Yes, makin' mock o' uniforms that guard you while you sleep
Is cheaper than them uniforms, an' they're starvation cheap;
An' hustlin' drunken soldiers when they're goin' large a bit
Is five times better business than paradin' in full kit.
Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, 'ow's yer soul?"
But it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll,
The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,
O it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll.

We aren't no thin red 'eroes, nor we aren't no blackguards too,
But single men in barricks, most remarkable like you;
An' if sometimes our conduck isn't all your fancy paints,
Why, single men in barricks don't grow into plaster saints;
While it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, fall be'ind",
But it's "Please to walk in front, sir", when there's trouble in the wind,
There's trouble in the wind, my boys, there's trouble in the wind,
O it's "Please to walk in front, sir", when there's trouble in the wind.

You talk o' better food for us, an' schools, an' fires, an' all:
We'll wait for extry rations if you treat us rational.
Don't mess about the cook-room slops, but prove it to our face
The Widow's Uniform is not the soldier-man's disgrace.
For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Chuck him out, the brute!"
But it's "Saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot;
An' it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' anything you please;
An' Tommy ain't a bloomin' fool -- you bet that Tommy sees!

Rudyard Kipling

I personally dislike when people Than me for my service, hell it was my honor to do it and the best time of my life, plus I know they don't really mean it. If they were thankful, they would take care of these guys better when they get back without a leg, arm, or damaged in other ways unseen.

Both of my sons are Marine. One combat vet. injured in Iraq. When I grow up I want to be like my sons. They are my heroes.
I had the honor of getting to know a bunch of yall (warriors) in Ramadi, Fallujah, Al Assad, TQ,and other FOBS. I can't help but THANK YOU for your service and sacrifice. I can't be a member of the Brotherhood of warriors, but I most certainly can hold you in highest regard and respect. Thank You again for your service and sacrifice.
Dave

"God and solders we adore,"
"In times of troubles, not before"
"Troubles passed, all things righted"
"God forgotten, the soldier slighted"

~Unknown