• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

when to throw out brass ???

scissorhands

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2013
Houston, Texas
I have been reloading some Hornady Match brass, I have about 3-4 firings on the cases, I usually FL size the brass. I dont know how long this brass will last, hence the reason for a few questions.

1. Do you usually throw out the whole lot when you start to see signs of deterioration or just the bad case ( assuming they have been reloaded the same)?

2. Any one got pics of bad cases they threw out (just for reference) and why they threw them out?

Re: when to throw out brass ???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you usually throw out the whole lot when you start to see signs of deterioration or just the bad case </div></div>

If it's just a split neck, I'll just throw out that piece. If I start seeing aseveral loose primer pockets, I'll load them once more and then toss the lot. If I see any signs of head seperation, I'll take a close look as all peices and make a decision, but that's not what typically kills my brass.

If you aren't aready, you need a way to size the brass to fit your chamber, not just to fit the sizing die. That will make your brass last a lot longer than sizing them down to the size of the die, then blowing them back out when fired.

I have some .223 brass that I've loaded a dozen times. Every now and then I get a piece that has a loose primer pocket, small crack, or I can see signs of case head separation. Almost never before 6-7 loadings, and I FL size for .223 (auto-loader, not bolt gun). Don't throw out the whole lot, just the defective piece. Though I would take it as a sign that you need to do a thorough inspection of the rest of your brass.

With only 3-4 firings, I'd say you still have plenty of life left in your brass, unless your loads are extremely hot You can try annealing and/or start neck sizing to extend life. You'll hear guys saying they get 3-4 loadings, others say they have brass they've FL sized since 1970 over 30 times and it's still good to go. Really depends on the load, brass quality, and your reloading methods.

I know it is a different ball of wax compared to rifle, but I have some .45acp brass that has been reloaded 25+ times and they are still good to go. You can't even read the headstamps they are so beat up...

Here is one that had a few to many reloads on it.
photobucket-19766-1360262775040_zpsbc17e15d.jpg

Depends. It depends so much, that I'd read into it a little more. Your manual should have some info on brass inspection and such; if not, find another manual. Brass life can vary greatly from caliber to caliber, and even from load to load within that caliber, not to mention difference in tolerances (.223, .308 commercial brass vs. 5.56, 7.62 Lake City brass).

Two of the most common with rifle brass:

Swaging work hardens the brass, so the necks can split if that happens. Some folks re-anneal their case necks to make them last longer. I'd do this for expensive or rare brass, otherwise when enough show up in a lot, recycle them.

Swaging also stretches the case, and it does this most just above the base where that transitions into the case wall. Every time you trim brass, you are really trimming the THICKNESS, not necessarily the length. I mean, you trim it for the length, but that material is coming from the case wall itself, mostly from the bottom. In time, it will deform, get weak there, or even give way or blow out. Case head separations would be common. I'd say that if you've had a few of those from a lot, it is probably time to recycle that lot as well. At best, a case head separation renders the rifle temporarily useless. At worst, it destroys the rifle or even injures or kills the operator through catastrophic release of pressure. There are ways to measure this wear, but you need a special tool. A rule of thumb is the more trimming you do, the less life you have left on that brass.

I'd also find a good ballpark figure for the round you are loading as well. What are other people getting from the same brass, similar bullet weights and charges? This will give you something to go by, as you certainly get more use from a 5.56 case than you do from a .50Beowulf.

Be careful and safe loading!