• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes When You Feel Guilty About Your Scope Purchase....

hk dave

Optics Fiend
Minuteman
  • Jun 7, 2011
    So CA

Remember... this costs $26K. We're talking a few pieces of metal and ore are the equivalent of 7 Zero Compromise Optics or 6 Tangent Theta scopes which are both engineering marvels.

Shop on gentlemen... shop on.

are those diamonds?

i have no issue with compensatory gift giving, but don't waste money on basically worthless diamonds if you can help it.

View attachment 7120029

Remember... this costs $26K. We're talking a few pieces of metal and ore are the equivalent of 7 Zero Compromise Optics or 6 Tangent Theta scopes which are both engineering marvels.

Shop on gentlemen... shop on.

You mean it costs that at Tiffany's...not anywhere else. I do spend a bit there but nothing crazy...her Tiffany charm bracelet is worth a couple of TT scopes. I don't buy diamonds at Tiffany's. I buy from a trusted source in NY. Her engagement ring cost more than I care to admit but $26K is chump change

I never feel guilty for what I buy but I also make 100% of the money and the Mrs has whatever she wants...thankfully she is super frugal. There are also no surprises. Anytime I buy anything, she knows before it happens. All the jewelry she has was my doing...never asked for by her

You mean it costs that at Tiffany's...not anywhere else. I do spend a bit there but nothing crazy...her Tiffany charm bracelet is worth a couple of TT scopes. I don't buy diamonds at Tiffany's. I buy from a trusted source in NY. Her engagement ring cost more than I care to admit but $26K is chump change

I never feel guilty for what I buy but I also make 100% of the money and the Mrs has whatever she wants...thankfully she is super frugal. There are also no surprises. Anytime I buy anything, she knows before it happens. All the jewelry she has was my doing...never asked for by her

Just so I am understanding you correctly, you spent more than 26k on your wife's engagement ring? And 26k is chump change? FML. I need a new job...that Rocket Surgery pays bigly, or so I hear. I'm truly kidding, I love my job, but can't fathom thinking of 26k as chump change! That's fucking awesome.

Been married for 30 years this past June. That shit stopped about 5 years in.

I think we were married for 5 years before I could afford a $1500 ring (she got by with a $250 ring the first 5).

Unlike everyone I know (we're all poor) I didn't finance a silly rock. I wasn't going into debt when we were 20 with a kid to feed so she could show off.

But at a total of 2 jewelery purchases in my life I think I made a decent choice. 10 years and she's buying her own cars, clothes, and makeup.

Just so I am understanding you correctly, you spent more than 26k on your wife's engagement ring? And 26k is chump change? FML. I need a new job...that Rocket Surgery pays bigly, or so I hear. I'm truly kidding, I love my job, but can't fathom thinking of 26k as chump change! That's fucking awesome.

Well....keep perspective as well
    1. 2nd wife and after 20 years, my best friend
    2. I'm likely older than you and my career has been more than I could have ever wished for when I began.
    3. Maybe chump change was a poor choice of words but in today's world of of "me too", her ring was engineered by me....meaning that the ring is one off. I designed the setting and the ring profile and had a fabricator build the ring out of solid platinum. The candidate diamond took 4 months to find and 2 more months to recut. I had to pay for the 3.2 carat stone, pay for the recut and pay for the final grading certificate. Then I had to pay to have it set into the ring.
    When you think about what we spend on all of our shooting stuff or on cars, boats, vacations, etc; what I spent was chump change. I spend $26K in 7 years just on ammo. The ring is a symbol whether you buy into that or not. My wife didn't ask for it and didn't find out what it cost until after we were married and she saw the insurance bill...LOL. My money and I do with it as I please. Hope you do the same and have ZERO regrets

Edit----One thing to add is that never buy anything if it requires a this for that purchase. Marriage should be, over the long term, equal

Last edited:
    I never feel bad enough about my purchases to buy jewlery.. I might buy the wife dinner. I'm dumb, not stupid. Thats why we never got rings. They are an overpriced joke.

Unlike everyone I know (we're all poor) I didn't finance a silly rock. I wasn't going into debt when we were 20 with a kid to feed so she could show off.

That is one of the smartest things written on this thread....going into debt for anything other than a house and/or a reasonable car is silly and financially foolish

Well....keep perspective as well
    1. 2nd wife and after 20 years, my best friend
    2. I'm likely older than you and my career has been more than I could have ever wished for when I began.
    3. Maybe chump change was a poor choice of words but in today's world of of "me too", her ring was engineered by me....meaning that the ring is one off. I designed the setting and the ring profile and had a fabricator build the ring out of solid platinum. The candidate diamond took 4 months to find and 2 more months to recut. I had to pay for the 3.2 carat stone, pay for the recut and pay for the final grading certificate. Then I had to pay to have it set into the ring.
    When you think about what we spend on all of our shooting stuff or on cars, boats, vacations, etc; what I spent was chump change. I spend $26K in 7 years just on ammo. The ring is a symbol whether you buy into that or not. My wife didn't ask for it and didn't find out what it cost until after we were married and she saw the insurance bill...LOL. My money and I do with it as I please. Hope you do the same and have ZERO regrets

Edit----One thing to add is that never buy anything if it requires a this for that purchase. Marriage should be, over the long term, equal

You can justify all you like, sir, but I will still remain forever jealous. LOL!!

When you typed, "I spend 26k in 7 years just on ammo," I had to pause. I guess that's probably pretty spot on. I wouldn't quite call it 26k, but damn if it isn't close!

Good form, lad!

That is one of the smartest things written on this thread....going into debt for anything other than a house and/or a reasonable car is silly and financially foolish
    So financing thermal and night vision is a bad idea?

What about ten year auto loans?

Ha...I don't finance my hobby...I pay cash or I don't buy.

Car loan falls under the match maturity of use approach that I have. I finance based on how long I will use the asset. These days cost of money other than on unsecured personal debt (aka credit cards) is crazy low so I finance long term assets. I get 10 years on a car so I wouldn't have a problem financing that long if there were such a loan vehicle at a reasonable rate of interest but there isn't. Therefore, I finance over 6 years. It is a good spot for rate and monthly cost. Not really a car person in the fancy sports car sense so car payments are pretty reasonable.

Preservation of your cash is paramount in my perspective.

Liquidity is a gift...ignore at your own peril

Last edited:

this forum makes me want to spend money on things i didn't dream of needing a year ago.
    all of a sudden all my gear is shite. my ammo is shite and my caliber is shite and my gun is shite. :(
    well, maybe not the rifle.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Wyzrd

Yes and yes.

If you can't afford to drop the cash you should probably be saving or not buying. This goes with ALL hobby related items.

Ten years. Fuck. I've never done over 5. Then again I'm not the average car buyer.
    Paid $3500 in $100 bills for my truck. Basic gas 1-ton that's nearing 20 years old now, but it has cruise, ac, and 4wd. I've averaged $500/yr in repairs (all work done myself) over the last 9 years. It may have 230k miles but I'd drive it across country tomorrow if need be. The 100k miles I've driven it have been cheap compared to a payment and a warranty. (I do have a spare 1/2 ton and the wife's old Denali to drive so down time while I get around to fixing something doesn't bug me.)

I do fully support new truck buying. That means used stuff for those of us who include wrenching in our hobby list!

"Remember... this costs $26K. We're talking a few pieces of metal and ore are the equivalent of 7 Zero Compromise Optics or 6 Tangent Theta scopes which are both engineering marvels"

I believe you overpaid by about $25k for those baubles..........

My wife loves her groove ring almost as much as I love my Schmidt & Bender.

"Remember... this costs $26K. We're talking a few pieces of metal and ore are the equivalent of 7 Zero Compromise Optics or 6 Tangent Theta scopes which are both engineering marvels"

I believe you overpaid by about $25k for those baubles..........

Unfortunately you are also failing to recognize that none of my or your scopes have appreciated. i can recover what I paid and earn quite a nice compounded rate of return on the bauble

I have to admit I am slightly envious of those who's wives are into shooting where buying her a new custom bolt gun would be a serious bedroom nasty night.

I however can't and won't complain as she is as supportive as one can be, and even with my new found love of SCUBA (money flies now). She never wanted any fancy jewelry however one day doing a secretive piece seems like an awesome way to go. So to @Niki appreciate your money savvy confidence and thoughts on it. I'm still learning life lessons but I've oopsed enough that I can say things look better for the family. Something about hard work and stuff. To all...keep kicking ass

I just buy my wife new stuff so I can use it. It’s easier to buy it if it’s for her, she’s happy and I’m happy too, it’s a win win!

Reactions: MarinePMI
    Somehow i always think about the run-away concrete truck, the bus driver that runs the red light or the person that appears in great health and the next day they have cancer. Life is short - never know when your ticket is punched. May as well enjoy the view :)

After 14 years of marriage, I learned its about compromise. We take turns saving/buying stuff, this year its my turn to get a zero compromise, maybe? ?

• Haha
    Reactions: Zorrosdens
    Got married. Divorced. Waited 10 years and found a wife that a.) makes as much as I do, and b.) doesn’t care what I spend my money on as long as our joint bills get paid. And even then, she tends to put me above herself most of the time (and I do likewise ). Makes for an easy, respectful marriage with lots of room for give and take.

“So, you know baby, I was thinking of picking up that Hendsoldt spotter I was telling you about last week...”

Her: “That expensive one? Hmmm...might as well, you’ll end up getting one anyways and you said you got a good price on it”

“Yeah, I guess that’s true. Lol.”

Last edited:
    jewelry is nice , but why not buy her her own scope so you could shoot together . then what ever you buy you just have to order two of . double the ammo double the fun .

Anyone can be rich on the Internet