• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

When you use 150s in your 308, what powder?

JGorski

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2011
Central Wis.
Got yet another reloading job, but this time it's the cousin of the last guy but he wants 150s for his BLR, so I'm going to order more LC or military brass. What I have on hand is Benchmark, which I trust will do very well, IMR4007ssc, RE10X, RE17, CFE, 2000MR, so which powder would you go with or if you have another lets hear it.

I use H4895. If you can get away with benchmark, I would try that. Not sure if it is too fast but if it will work, you should be able to get good speed.

What type of bullet?

I use H4895 with 150 hornady sp.

IMR4895 or TAC. Tried Benchmark and it did good, but only had like a half pound and went with what I had a lot of--IMR4895 and TAC.

What barrel length? For shorter barrels I always found H4895 worked better for 150's. For longer barrels something in the burn rate of Varget or 4064 will give a little more velocity. 2000MR and CFE should work well also in a longer barrel.

What type of bullet?

I use H4895 with 150 hornady sp.

Funny you both would mention H4895, just remembered I've got some that I pulled from my 6MMREM loads easily enough to do 100 rounds of 308. Yup, 150 Hornady.

8208 for the 150's has worked well. 155g AMAX and 155g SMK out of both an MWS and an R700 shoot great with 8208.

It's awesome. Low SDs, good velocity, temperature insensitivity, and meters like ball powder.

After having more types of Powder than any one should, and way to many calibers and bullet types; Then running out of the ones I really needed, I had to to simplify.

Varget for 223 thru 308 (yes, even on the faster 270's) when hand measuring, then H1000 on my magnums. Seems I can find sub half inch or better of a bipod on every gun. For plinking non-hand measured on my 650, same logic as long as it is flake or ball.

Fewer powders allows me to really stock up on the ones I need

Jt

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I REALLY need to do this myself. I keep buying one pound of a powder hoping for a magic load and usually end up going back to the standbys. 8208 is one exception that I recently tried and it does really well for me in 223 and 308.

I bet I have 20 different powders open right now. I would like to get down to 5-8 and then I could start hoarding !!

I normally would go with RE15,(not much left, though) 47grs under a 155AMAX is very accurate in my SPSS, but I'll be using LC brass and the rifle is a Browning BLR, since I've got little use for that pulled 9000grs plus of H4895 I'll be charging those cases with 43.5grs of it, if you guys have any other suggestions for loading with LC brass it would be much appreciated, 45.5 is the max with Win brass I believe is what Hodgdon used.

Only suggestion I got for the LC brass is deburr the flash holes. LC seems to be one of the worst ones for huge hanging chads inside the case IME.

I don't see any love for IMR-3031 with the 150 class bullet. It was also used in military cartridges and was available at gun shows and local places when Varget was non existent. Burn rate was right around the Benchmark area maybe a tad slower. Had good luck with 147's - 168's

I don't see any love for IMR-3031 with the 150 class bullet. It was also used in military cartridges and was available at gun shows and local places when Varget was non existent. Burn rate was right around the Benchmark area maybe a tad slower. Had good luck with 147's - 168's

Yup, .5grain more than Benchmark and 129fps faster, too bad I don't have any. H4895 is just slightly slower in speed, got plenty of that.