• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Where does the SS 1-6HD fit in with the other 1-6's?

kb1

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2004
Colorado
Trying to decide on a 1-6x is becoming much more difficult than I thought it would be. From those with experience, where does the SS 1-6 HD fit in with the USO SR6, Leupold MK6 1-6, and Vortex HDII 1-6? Trying to decide on one of these. It will be going on a 16" .308 gasser. Shots no longer than 600, and I would like it to perform as a decent RDS as well. The SS seems to offer a heck of a value, but does it stand up to the others as far as durability, glass wise, and turret feel?
Thanks!

I've owned the SS 1-6 as well as the Razor and Mk6 (but not the USO). The SS 1-6 is a very good scope overall, but it has relatively narrow field of view at both 1x and 6x, which is a big drawback for a low magnification scope meant for a carbine. The Razor and Mk6 have wide fields of view in comparison, although some European scopes are wider still (Steiner and IOR for starters, probably others). On the plus side the SS is not as heavy as the Razor (which is a brick). Its glass quality is good, but the eyebox is small - very sensitive to eye position. Good resolution with your eye perfectly centered became blurry with your eye only slightly off-center. I didn't warm to the donut reticle, largely because it meets the outer edge of the FOV at around 5x, so you can't really use 5x, only 6x or less than 4x because of the area being blocked by the donut. The T-reticle they offered in the 1-4x would have been superior, IMHO, but was never offered in the 1-6x. The turrets are fine but I don't see lots of dialing with a 1-6x scope.

I found the Razor to be excessively heavy and I found its glass clarity not up to my expectations for a $1400 scope. It does have wide FOV, a much larger eyebox, and a simpler SFP reticle without the SS's issue.

I had the Mk6 with the CMR-W 7.62 and thought it was an excellent scope in most ways. The only reason I didn't keep it was misgivings about the ruggedness and durability of the turrets and the ocular focus adjustment. They kept the weight down but it did not feel as rugged as anything else in that price range, including the Razor and SS (both cost a lot less, actually). This is purely FEEL and I never had actual problems, I just didn't have confidence in it. It had awesome glass and an awesome FFP reticle, along with great illumination.

I ended up keeping, and getting a second one, of the Burris XTRII 1-5x scope. It has illumination comparable to the Mk6 and better than the Razor or SS, a SFP reticle that is small and thin if anything, and quality that felt good, especially relative to its much lower price ($800 or less). Also pretty good FOV. The XTRII's glass is excellent in the center, but has noticeable distortion at the very edges. Still better than being completely blocked like the SS's donut at 5x.

Thanks for the in depth reply. Still stuck though lol. It seems like they all have trade-offs. Like you, I have to have an optic that "feels" durable, that's why I haven't gone with the mk6 right off the bat, that and the reports that the turrets are mushy. That's too much too spend for mushy turrets. The Vortex is popular, but it's heavy, and I really don't like the reticle. I have been leaning more towards the USO, but there is a loud contingent here that says they're crap. I have looked at the Burris XTR II as well, but it seems like it has a similar build quality to the Vortex PST line, which "feels" cheap to me. That's just my personal opinion though, and I am probably talking out my ass since I have not held the Burris. I think the mk6 would be ideal if it were a little more robust, but then again the light weight is what makes it so appealing to most people. It makes choosing the best all around 1-6 difficult.

Last edited:
I really like my Leupold Mark4 MR/T 1.5-5x20 CM-R2 on my AR Recce rifle. Ive run this optic from 3-100yds on 1.5x and hits are quick and accurate. Ive also shot a 4.75" group at 500yds off a pack and hit steel at 600 no problem. Ive run over 1000rds through this scope and multiple training sessions where its really been beat around and a full day in the rain. Its been great, not a single issue.

Last edited:
I have a ss 1-6 and bushnell 1-6.5 2nd focal plane, and should have a razor 1-6 here sometime next week. I really liked the idea of the ss but once I got it I'm not really crazy about it. The cross hairs are really thin and hard to focus on, I feel the donut too large for my taste at 1x and don't really care for the tall turrets on this type scope. Also if you are hoping to use it like a red the illumination is not day light bright, but the donut is plenty bold that I don't feel it needs illumination.

I really like the bushnell 1-6.5. I think the horse shoe is the perfect size, and like the mil cross hairs. The center dot is big enough to pick up easily and make quick shots. Down side is the turrets are cheap plastic and feel flimsy. They are pull up to reset so have to be careful if dialing in shots not to slip the turret and loose zero.

I picked up the vortex because there has been so much talk about them and I wanted to try one for my self, I will also be picking up one of the burris xtrii to try. But as of right now I think the bushnell is my favorite. My use is 3 gun by the way

A lot of good reviews here.

I have the SS 1-6x and agree with the small/blurry eyebox. I personally love the donut and find myself using the scope on 3 different powers (1x, 3x, and 6x). I recently used the scope on a hog hunt in Tennessee and had no issues transitioning from thick saplings to 300 yard field shots.

I've never been happy with Bushnell turrets, but may have to try out the XTR based on all the good reviews here. The turrets on the SS are more then adequate, and I love the fact that you can cap the turrets when you don't need them. They are tall for their class of optic, but that doesn't bother me for my usage.

I've found the illumination to be pretty good. It's not aimpoint/eotech bright, but the thick circle makes using illumination a moot point on sunny days. Under a canopy of trees illumination is still not needed, but was more then bright enough on a medium setting if you choose to use it. The extra battery compartment is a nice touch as well.

The Razor is too heavy for my usage, and the MK6 1-6X would be my first choice but wanted to keep this optic below 1.5k in price. I'm currently running my SS in a Bobro qd mount and use it on both my 9" 300 blk SBR and 16" LMT 308.

I have the SS 1-6 on my 16" MWS and mainly use it at 1 or 6 power so I really like it. Have shot from 10ft to 600 yards so far and done really well with it. The way the reticle works is perfect for me but obviously not for everyone since one poster wanted to use it at 5 power and didn't like the field of view being blocked by the outer ring that disappears at 6. The big illuminated center dot is fast at 1x and non illuminated mil based reticle on 6 is very clear and easy to use for me.

I have been leaning more towards the USO, but there is a loud contingent here that says they're crap. I have looked at the Burris XTR II as well, but it seems like it has a similar build quality to the Vortex PST line, which "feels" cheap to me.

I've never owned a USO but I really doubt it's "crap".

The XTRII is indeed made in the Philippines, and you can sort of feel it, but it is the best Philippines-made scope I've handled, and to me feels a little better than the Viper PST models - though not entirely different. I think it's an excellent scope and value, but not in the same league as scopes costing two and a half to three times more.

I've handled and looked through the Bushnell 1-6.5 scope in SFP and it seemed quite good. Not unreasonably heavy, good FOV, good glass, no issues I could detect in just two minutes of playing with it. Might be worth more research.

I'll definitely check out the Bushnell. They seem to have some very good offerings.