• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Where is all the .22 ammo??!!

russ10x

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2011
Connecticut
Why has manufacturers stopped issueing ammo to vendors. Virtually all quality ammo, especially Wolf and SK has dried up. On other blogs, people are saying that large stores and ammo makers are affraid that they will be stuck with crates of ammo and no place to sell. Also, most are affraid of the "amount purchased" potential law....limiting what can be purchase. I think eveyone is panic buying, and it dried up. Any thoughts, and more importantly, does anyone who may work for an ammo company or vendor have the hard facts?

Re: Where is all the .22 ammo??!!

.22 ammunition is the highest selling ammunition. Add to that the panic, and you have the current state. It's out there, just have to look pretty hard.

It's the panic buying going on again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: russ10x</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why has manufacturers stopped issueing ammo to vendors. Virtually all quality ammo, especially Wolf and SK has dried up. On other blogs, people are saying that large stores and ammo makers are affraid that they will be stuck with crates of ammo and no place to sell. Also, most are affraid of the "amount purchased" potential law....limiting what can be purchase. I think eveyone is panic buying, and it dried up. Any thoughts, and more importantly, does anyone who may work for an ammo company or vendor have the hard facts? </div></div>

Basically, the sky is falling. This has never happened before, the ammo-run of 2009 didn't occur, nobody should have seen this coming, etc. Am I about on target?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: russ10x</div><div class="ubbcode-body">large stores and ammo makers are affraid that they will be stuck with crates of ammo and no place to sell.</div></div>

Horseshit, they are making it as fast as they can. If anything I would be afraid that for the next several months the market will be saturated with lower-quality bulk ammo.

Local Walmart finally has some Mini Mags in stock been over a moth since they have had some. Got me 3 boxes as there is a 3 box limit and hey did not have many left...

On Rimfirecentral...one of the guys got word that small scale gun stores are getting wind of shipments to Cabela's, Midwest USA, Brownells..etc..and buying large quantities. The ammo sells out in minutes. Then these same clowns sell it in their stores marked up considerably. I was a little put out the Midway USA had a $20.00 per brick increase in their Wolf Match ammo, from $54.00 to $74.00. This Tuesday is the big day as far as what will be announced nationaly...here in CT, one of the more popular Democratic proposal is a 50% tax on ALL ammunition. As the state is broke, giving out entitlments, I am sure this will pass. And if there will be no more mail order or email ammo, we'll be up crap up a creek.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: russ10x</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On Rimfirecentral...one of the guys got word that small scale gun stores are getting wind of shipments to Cabela's, Midwest USA, Brownells..etc..and buying large quantities. The ammo sells out in minutes. Then these same clowns sell it in their stores marked up considerably. I was a little put out the Midway USA had a $20.00 per brick increase in their Wolf Match ammo, from $54.00 to $74.00. This Tuesday is the big day as far as what will be announced nationaly...here in CT, one of the more popular Democratic proposal is a 50% tax on ALL ammunition. As the state is broke, giving out entitlments, I am sure this will pass. And if there will be no more mail order or email ammo, we'll be up crap up a creek. </div></div>Damn. The .22 LR ammo around my part of Indiana has gotten scarce too. Just about the only thing one can find is Remington and Winchester bulk ammo. Prices have gone up too. So much BS all over again.
frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: russ10x</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On Rimfirecentral...one of the guys got word that small scale gun stores are getting wind of shipments to Cabela's, Midwest USA, Brownells..etc..and buying large quantities. The ammo sells out in minutes. Then these same clowns sell it in their stores marked up considerably. <span style="text-decoration: underline"> I was a little put out the Midway USA had a $20.00 per brick increase in their Wolf Match ammo, from $54.00 to $74.00.</span> This Tuesday is the big day as far as what will be announced nationaly...here in CT, one of the more popular Democratic proposal is a 50% tax on ALL ammunition. As the state is broke, giving out entitlments, I am sure this will pass. And if there will be no more mail order or email ammo, we'll be up crap up a creek. </div></div>

Midway didn't raise their prices. Wolf MT is still $55 ME is $75. Match Extra always has been $20 or so more per brick

I was at a local store yesterday and they had about 5 pallets of 22lr ammo. I bought 5 bricks of blazers for $18 a whack. They had some primers come in, so I picked them up today.......there was not one full pallet left and it was going fast.....so I bought 10 more bricks.

22 shells and primers of any flavor are getting rare here.....and they are made right here.

From what I've seen so far, Brownells, Joe Bobs, and few others are the few companies that is not raising prices through the roof. As a result, they will continue to get my business.

There is nothing left here in Mississippi, I'm glad the food crisis didn't come yet.

I put in an order to Target Sports USA a couple of weeks ago for some ammo that they had "in stock", and still no word on that order. I am still waiting on a simple .308 reamer from Brownell's after weeks now, and can't seem to get that either with the current back log.

I was ready to order a case of CCI SV from Target Sports when they shut down online ordering. WOuld still like to find some, and an FV-SR as well for less than $250

Seeing this makes me smile about me recent luck. I ordered ten thousand rounds of the remington target through the CMP about 4 months back. They sent the 10k rounds right away but the rifle on my order sheet took a while. When the rifle order got processed they noticed the rifle ammo and charged my account again sending me another 10k rounds. I am sitting on almost 70 thousand rounds of 22lr ammo with twenty something different brands and types. Glad for it as well as I won't have to worry about buying rim fire ammo for a few years. I do not sell anything I buy from the CMP so don't ask or PM me about it. I consider it wrong when I see people buying Kimbers and ammo and Garands from the CMP and selling to the highest paying schmuck on gunbroker they can find.

My buddy saw a guy buy an entire pallet of it. Im surprised they let him buy it.

I still see quite a bit of .22 ammo where I am at and the priced are pretty close to the same. Now 5.56 and 7.62 has been tough to find.

Midway USA...Wolf Match...$74.00 a brick!!!!!! I am out so I bought one...but if I were not out, I'd boycott them. This is rediculas.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: russ10x</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Midway USA...Wolf Match...$74.00 a brick!!!!!! I am out so I bought one...but if I were not out, I'd boycott them. This is rediculas. </div></div>

Not True!! You might want to learn the difference between Wolf Match <span style="text-decoration: underline">Target</span> and Wolf Match <span style="text-decoration: underline">Extra</span>, along with reading the entire thread before posting. Also look at SK Jagd ammo. Here is a link for reference to the Lapua made brands of rimfire ammo:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3804992#Post3804992

I ordered 10.5k Fed Bulk pack on 16th Dec each from Midway and Sportsman Guide. I have not received either and SG has a delivery estimate of July 2013 for whatever that is worth. I hope the manufacture's are able to get caught up by Q2, but I'm not holding my breath.

Hey Lighten up Busen...I did read the thread. You want to see my invoice for the exact same stuff I bought 2 months ago?

As of this hour a brick of Wolf Match Target is $55.99 at MidwayUSA.
At this same hour a brick of Wolf Match Extra is $79.99 at MidwayUSA.

And another thing. You don't know shit...OK. Even if MIdway went up like you claim, and you aren't misrepresenting 2 very different types of ammo, it is a drop in the bucket to the increases elsewhere. You have an axe to grind with Midway, Greeeeaaaattt...so glad for you. Please carry out your threat and stop buying shit from them that is overpriced. There will be more available for people gladd to get ammo at any price.
There has been over a 100% increase in the price of 745 Federal bulk pack in a mere 2 short weeks. I have people begging me to sell them some of mine a $50 a brick. Many places that sell ammo have been out or in short supply since 11/7/12. Distributors have been swamped and online sources are rapidly drying up. Just because the price increases in this situation, doesn't mean it is gouging. Boycott them, that will teach em, I am sure it will leave a gaping hole in their business like a bucket of water that had a hand pulled out.

I stand corrected. Ok armor? Things aren't that great here 10 miles from Newtown. Pretty frustrating and you have no clue about gun and ammo control, unlike where you live. Now we . are looking at 50percent tax with anew law on . ammo, no matter how many letters. Yup. I . don't know shit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: russ10x</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Midway USA...Wolf Match...$74.00 a brick!!!!!! I am out so I bought one...but if I were not out, I'd boycott them. This is rediculas. </div></div>

Dude I am wondering if you are even reading what you are writing. Now you are claiming you live 10 miles from Newtown and you are in the thick of things. Yet you have made statements fomenting ire against Midway and threatening boycott. A company which has raised millions in funds specifically used to protect your rights to own firearms and buy ammunition. A company who has not been guilty at any time during this crisis of gouging. I would think at this point you would be happy to find any ammunition at any price.
If you live in a liberal gun grabbing state it is no one's fault but your own. It isn't the fault of the guy that bought all the ammo he would need in 2013 before all this BS got rolling. Now maybe I don't know shit and ya'll can't own more than a brick of ammo at a time. If that is the case then none of this shit should surprise you and you shouldn't have started a "hair's on fire run like hell" panic thread, speculating about what is going on behind the scenes in the supply chain.
I do know shit, but I have kept my cards and words fairly close to my chest, since long before your little corner of the world, jumped on the national stage. This has been coming...long time. People, especially in gun unfriendly states, should have seen it coming long before it arrived.
Flapping our gums and gnashing our teeth upon our friends that sell us products, is what is REDICULOUS. Yet thread after thread gets started about, missing ammo, no ammo, no powder, where's the powder, where's the primers, the gubmint has stopped ammo makers from makin ammo, black helicopters have stopped the freight trains loaded with ammo,BLAH,BLAH, BLAH.
Some of us are just tired of seeing it pasted up in every corner of the Hide. I just wish the mods were.

Armor, don't feed the trolls, especially logic and facts, as they will then shiet anywhere and everywhere they can.

I may be an A-hole sometimes, but at least I'm usually using or presenting the correct facts even when I am.

Im in the opposite boat, plenty of the wolf and match around but no cheapo bulk ammo to plink with.

Wholesalehunter got a big shipment of butler creek mags, and they disappeared in hours. Wholesale said big hitters bought them all. Biggest buy was 900. That's not for personal use

Armor......apologies all around. Can't just pick up and move, and I agree with you.

Armor, but the Newtown thing is a bit touchy. Google Bridgeport Ct. I am one city over.

I may have been a bit hard on you but I think you can understand where I am coming from on this one.

Come shoot with me, Iwill loan you a brick. If you don't believe me ask the guys that I shoot with. They are around here somewhere.

I'm not sure if I'm a fool or just a nice guy but I just sold 2,300 rounds of Winchester plinking grade ammo for $110 on my local MD shooters forum. I could have got more - many responses. I was surprised at how bad it's become.

Work for a wholesaler and Wolf has been very scarce for the past couple of years. We will literally get in 2-3 shipments a year, and the quantity is not enough to make sure we don't run out inbetween.

With that said, during the last ammo rush, post election the first time, rimfire along with several other calibers became quite scarce. The manufactures will allocate their production to what they have the most orders for, .223/5.56, 9mm ball, .45 ball and so on. Rimfire, while it sells so well, does not generate the orders during the time of crisis that the other calibers do.

Be patient, it will catch up, just expect to have to grab what you can when you find it.

Charlie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I may have been a bit hard on you but I think you can understand where I am coming from on this one.

Come shoot with me, Iwill loan you a brick. If you don't believe me ask the guys that I shoot with. They are around here somewhere.</div></div>

Armor will loan you the shirt off his back.

Want to shoot Two Gun?.. What, you don't have a tactcal shotgun? Here, use mine... Wan't to shoot TSC, but haven't reached out far? I'll spot for you and help you through the adjustments... here, shoot my good bullets.. they'll help you score better.

Come own down and shoot with Armor and the rest of us.. the fellowship and friendships make our club the best organization I have even been a part of.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VA Gentleman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I may have been a bit hard on you but I think you can understand where I am coming from on this one.

Come shoot with me, Iwill loan you a brick. If you don't believe me ask the guys that I shoot with. They are around here somewhere.</div></div>

Armor will loan you the shirt off his back.

Want to shoot Two Gun?.. What, you don't have a tactcal shotgun? Here, use mine... Wan't to shoot TSC, but haven't reached out far? I'll spot for you and help you through the adjustments... here, shoot my good bullets.. they'll help you score better.
</div></div>

"Joe we love you man.." Yeah but you still can't borrow my Tanfoglio
smile.gif

Nah I am just kiddin. The Tan will probly get more strange fingers stuck in the trigger guard this season, than the easy girl at the senior prom. Believe it or not I scored 4 more mags for Her Royal Hotness. She is ready to rock.

the only lgs around that even has .22 has some super colibri. I guess quiet target practice is better than no practice at all haha I'm half tempted to set up a makeshift range in the basement

Bro, no hard feelings...my bad. I wish people around here were as inviting! We,'ll keep commo open. Maybe things will quiet down . Just had major c spine surgery so I am only reloading now! New to Rimfire, any other accurate .22 for a Savage Mk 2 f v sr? Doing Precision Rimfire matches before surgery. My gun loves Wolf!

Russ indeed I do have suggestions. I have posted them here before but once more may help you and someone else.
Ihave seen lots of rifles love Wolf. I have seen those same rifles love Lapua Center X, The SK Jagd line as well. All this ammo comes off the same line, Wolf, SK, Center X. They all carry the same headstamp. Federal 922A is also worth a try, as well as RWS Subsonic, Rifle target, and plain Target. RWS makes the 922A and the Ultramatch line for Federal, it comes off the R-50 line, the inside flaps of the Federal box says so....don't just take my word for it. This is the only kind of ammunition I will suggest for the end all be all of long range 22LR accuracy. Some may work for you and some may not. The ammo I have seen the most success with is Wolf(low end to high end depending onlot #s) 922A Fed, Ultramatch Fed, SK Jagd various types, and LapuaCenter X.CenterX seems to show the least sensitivity to lot numbers.If you find a really good lot of Fed 922A itcan be awesome.
Notice I didn't say Eley anywhere?That is because I have seen the most hair pulling from competitors using Eley. My Annie MPR has never tasted anything from a bulk pack.
The good news is that muchof the premium ammos are still available in some places. You might try Natchez for the RWS offerings and the 922A,my best guess. Champion Shooters Supply may have some Center X. The ammo I am talking about is definately in the mid range price wise. Usually going for around $100 a brick.
I haveno reference or proof but I surmise that the Wolf is sporadic due to it being from the low end of Lapua's sort. Which would also explain why I know some guys that have bought Wolf that shot as good as Center X. If they have an order to finish out and don't have enough that didn't make Wolf grade they may put some higher end ammo in to round out the order. I have heard this to be fairly common in the premium rimfire ammo biz. I don't know this to be a fact, but it would explain some annomolies Ihave seen personally. And I see an awful lot of rimfire shooting from March through October.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longguntoter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: russ10x</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On Rimfirecentral...one of the guys got word that small scale gun stores are getting wind of shipments to Cabela's, Midwest USA, Brownells..etc..and buying large quantities. The ammo sells out in minutes. Then these same clowns sell it in their stores marked up considerably. I was a little put out the Midway USA had a $20.00 per brick increase in their Wolf Match ammo, from $54.00 to $74.00. This Tuesday is the big day as far as what will be announced nationaly...here in CT, one of the more popular Democratic proposal is a 50% tax on ALL ammunition. As the state is broke, giving out entitlments, I am sure this will pass. And if there will be no more mail order or email ammo, we'll be up crap up a creek. </div></div>Damn. The .22 LR ammo around my part of Indiana has gotten scarce too. Just about the only thing one can find is Remington and Winchester bulk ammo. Prices have gone up too. So much BS all over again.
frown.gif
</div></div>Word! I have been able to pick up around 300 rounds of Federal HV stuff within the last week, but that is about it.

I have an order of Eley Sport that was filled lets see if it ships to NY!! I lucked out I had an old order of Wolf come last week. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Armor, thanks! I've been reluctant to try other brands as my gun shop shoots so well with the Wolf. I am going to take your advice. Have a good week

Think in luck I just got the email for a tracking # for my 22 ammo. I just took inventory and have 17k. Everything from win t22,win expert, elegy club and tenet, cci standard and velocitor. Think Im good for 2 yrs. Hope this blows over soon.

How about some weird news? I just got a sale flyer from Sportsman's Guide that listed Wolf MT .22 ammo, and it said it was MADE IN THE USA!. Could this be true? Also could this be as good as the made in Germany Wolf?? Anybody know about this?? Weird....

I always watch gunbroker.com for ammo autcions. Have scored some great deals on ELey Tenex bulk purchases. I've found it easier to shop from home, than drive to 6 different stores, and find them all empty. Occasionally I bid a tad higher than I need to, just to save the gas money in my suburban
smile.gif

Just got an email from the CMP stating come March 1 no ammo shipments to NY. Even Midwayusa changed their policy.