• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Where is the Lever Action Love?

killerwaffles

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2012
Houston, Texas
Is anyone a lever action fan?

I am in the process of restoring a really beat up Winchester 94 to a suppressed scout rifle (30-30 Cal). It is definitely not in the condition to be a collectors rifle so i would like to get some use out of it. I have a couple questions,

- Where can i get a lever action barrel threaded & mag tube cut back?

- Can i swap a round barrel (currently on the rifle) with an octagon barrel?

- Where can i find parts for a Winchester 94 top eject 30-30

Re: Where is the Lever Action Love?

I've never done the "lever action" love thing and was hoping VJJ had some good advice (maybe even pics).
Seriously, your project sounds like a show for the Red Jacket gang.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VJJPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">they died off bout 60 years ago </div></div>

Oh great, thanks for the help.

196485_1634641587187_1271125736_31345466_2486818_n.jpg

This is what i had in mind. I have the gun, might as well put it to work.

Trading barrels is not that hard it will most likely require a set back and timed. This means re cutting the extractor notch and such. Ive don this to several rifles in the past.

the mag tube cut down and barrel thread is easy as well.

Any competent smith should be able to take care of you. If you cant find one in your area give me a call.

As far as parts start with the usual suspects Numerich, Jack first, and Popperts if they are still open.

Given that this is precision shooting forum...
Is probably the reason you don't see anything on lever guns here...

Mossberg has a lever gun with a collapsable stock and quad rail fore end.
Go to their web site to see it.
If you're going to do this, you may as well go all the way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wannashootit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Given that this is precision shooting forum...
Is probably the reason you don't see anything on lever guns here... </div></div>

So then by that rationality sidearms are considered precision shooting?

Im just looking for advice or recommendations, not smart ass comments.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killerwaffles</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wannashootit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Given that this is precision shooting forum...
Is probably the reason you don't see anything on lever guns here... </div></div>

Im just looking for advice or recommendations, not smart ass comments. </div></div>

sidearms can be precision shooting emplements to be sure

A lever gun cant be used as a precision rifle?

What disqualifies a lever gun to be in that category?

shot my first deer with an old Marlin 30-30
they work great as a close in hunting rifle.
Not much of a distance paper puncher though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killerwaffles</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VJJPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">they died off bout 60 years ago </div></div>

This is what i had in mind. I have the gun, might as well put it to work.</div></div>

That's an interesting concept, certainly one I've never seen before. As far as accuracy, I have shot some lever action rifles that were quite accurate. Although it would not work for your project, a .45-70 Marlin Guide Gun I have has shot three-round MOA groups at 100 yards on multiple occasions, and you don't need much of a spotting scope to score your hits.

plenty of Cowboy Action websites out there . & they love the Lever Action .
If you think that Lever Action is precision or Tactical, then your not being honest with yourself. It is only a freak novelty

Interesting topic.

My very first deer gun, given to me by my dad, was a Winchester Model 88 lever action in .308 Win. If you're not familiar with the gun it is a box fed levergun that has a one piece stock, something not often seen on levers. The lever and linkage to the bolt runs smooth but the trigger is often not the best, a bit heavy. Another noted downside to the rifle is its light, whippy barrel. Of all of the lever guns out there I think this one would have the most validity to being made into a tactical rifle.

w5575a.jpg

My father and both own one and I have a second that is soon to be on the "gunshow trading block" as I'm trying to fund another project. If I weren't getting rid of it the idea to convert it into a tactical rifle would be interesting. Remove the factory tube in favor of a 20" varmit contour barrel, replace the walnut with something more tactical and synthetic - little chance for a vertical grip with the lever though. And sicne the rifle alread has the detachable box magazine, work on a design to extend it or retrofit something else if more capacity is desired.

88_Tactical.JPG

I've always been impressed with the accuracy of my old Model 88. It'll hold 1 to 1 1/2 inches at 100 yards normally. Again, any lenghty shooting sessions and you're likely to open those groups up a bit with the light barrel. The bolt has two locking lugs just like a Remington 700 or other standard bolt guns. Lock up is terrific.

Killer idea.

Of course i dont consider a lever gun to be a sub MOA gun at 1000 yards, it will be fun to stretch the bullet as far as it can go. That is half the fun with shooting long range. Dont you think?

I really dont consider shooting 300 yards with a .338LM and a 50x zoom scope to be precision shooting either.

10-twist 30-30 should make a nice subsonic rig. 220gr Roundnose should work well with the case capacity.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killerwaffles</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wannashootit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Given that this is precision shooting forum...

Im just looking for advice or recommendations, not smart ass comments. </div></div>

Sidearms in this context are a secondary or tertiary weapon.

and VJJ....you don't count on sidearms.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">10-twist 30-30 should make a nice subsonic rig. 220gr Roundnose should work well with the case capacity.
</div></div>

that would be pretty cool. Would you happen to have any load data i can use?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killerwaffles</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I really dont consider shooting 300 yards with a .338LM and a 50x zoom scope to be precision shooting either. </div></div>

While that's a bit of a hyperbole, what else would you call it? I have a 45-70 Guide Gun as well, and it can hold around an inch at 100 yards. Higher pressure cartridges aren't at home in most lever actions, and most long range precision shooting is done with higher pressure smaller bore cartridges.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tyler Kemp</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killerwaffles</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I really dont consider shooting 300 yards with a .338LM and a 50x zoom scope to be precision shooting either. </div></div>

While that's a bit of a hyperbole, what else would you call it? I have a 45-70 Guide Gun as well, and it can hold around an inch at 100 yards. Higher pressure cartridges aren't at home in most lever actions, and most long range precision shooting is done with higher pressure smaller bore cartridges. </div></div>

cheating, haha

Im not comparing a lever gun to be as precise as a bolt gun or anything like that. I just dont think a good shooter is a $5000 bolt gun mounted on a gun vice shooting 1 inch groups at 600+ yards.

I think a good shooter consist of being able to hit a target (whatever it may be) with any gun at just about any distance. I wouldnt classify a lever gun to be precision rifle that is comparable to a Sako but it can be classified as a precision rifle

I had some work done by a guy down in Gainesville, GA ten or twelve years ago. While I was there, he showed me some lever guns he was working on. Looked like top notch work. You might give him a call and see if he still does that type work.

Neal Spruill aka Hogleg Smith (is/was into cowboy shooting).

The info below is from a google search, not sure if it is still current.

4970 Poplar Springs Road
Gainesville, GA 30507
770-503-7572

Good luck. I've seen several pics of suppressed lever guns and I believe it would make a fun project.

I have a 45-70 Marlin thingy...... Its okay, I dont shoot it because it kicks hard with the 500gr loads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killerwaffles</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">10-twist 30-30 should make a nice subsonic rig. 220gr Roundnose should work well with the case capacity.
</div></div>

that would be pretty cool. Would you happen to have any load data i can use? </div></div>

No I don't. Quickload would suggest 6-7gr of Unique might get you to about 1000-1050 fps, at around 20K psi pressure.

i've loaded the 220gr RN in the 308 though, 10.8gr Unique made 1050 fps. It was wobbly at 100 yards in my 1/12 bbl, as seen in the keyholed target, but still put most of them under 2.0 moa.

Img_7724.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killerwaffles</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VJJPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">they died off bout 60 years ago </div></div>

This is what i had in mind. I have the gun, might as well put it to work. </div></div>

Killerwaffles,

May I ask you what is the make and model of that Scout Scope and what is the make of that scope base ?

Try as I might, I just can't identify them - not a Burris scope and, I think, not a Leupold scope neither. But then, I may be wrong.

I have a browning BLR in .308 I've taken out to 500 yards. Just shot metal rams but I hit them, very accurate gun. With right ammo under 3/4" at 100...

I picked one up recently after keeping an eye out for a couple of years. I've got some adjustments in the works for it, should be done in a couple of weeks. 94AE Trapper in .357. I don't expect it to be a precision rifle but it's the first rifle I've owned which was legal for deer hunting in this state and I'm hoping to use it for that.

2012-07-27_16-54-38_962-1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carcajou</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killerwaffles</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VJJPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">they died off bout 60 years ago </div></div>

This is what i had in mind. I have the gun, might as well put it to work. </div></div>

Killerwaffles,

May I ask you what is the make and model of that Scout Scope and what is the make of that scope base ?

Try as I might, I just can't identify them - not a Burris scope and, I think, not a Leupold scope neither. But then, I may be wrong. </div></div>

That is actually a very good question. I have been trying to figure out that myself. The rifle is a rossi and i found a scope rail on their website that mounts on the barrel but not sure about the scope.

Go to a BPCS match and watch guys knock down silhouettes at 1,000 yards with 45-70s using Creedmore sights before you trash the old-style guns. They might be more like shoulder-mounted mortars compared to the modern precision shooter, but the results are the same at a fraction of the price (and a lot more energy on the receiving end).

The problem today is getting a quality American lever gun without hitting the used gun aisle. Marlin has been putting out junk since they were bought out. Browning and Winchester sell the finest lever guns today and they are both made in Japan by Miroku. The Italians (Uberti) make the only other quality lever gun on the market today, mostly old Winchester replicas. Henry makes some pretty guns but they aren't known for their accuracy.

My local club has monthly silhouette matches out to 300 yards using pistol caliber lever guns. I just pulled out my 3 old Marlin lever guns (barely used) and took them to a smith to get the triggers smoothed out and have tang sights mounted. I'm going to give it a whirl for a change of pace. Here's two of them, a Cowboy Limited and an 1894, both in .41 Magnum. The other gun is an 1894 in .357. The 1894 pictured (in front) has a Williams peep sight with target knobs mounted to the back of the receiver. That sight has 1/4 MOA adjustment clicks for windage and elevation.

145054090.jpg

Killerwaffle, you might try some of the companies that customize and outfit guns for the old west shooting sports, like Buffalo Arms, Cimmaron Arms, or Track of the Wolf. If they can't help you, I bet they can point you in the right direction

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OldTex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go to a BPCS match and watch guys knock down silhouettes at 1,000 yards with 45-70s using Creedmore sights before you trash the old-style guns. They might be more like shoulder-mounted mortars compared to the modern precision shooter, but the results are the same at a fraction of the price (and a lot more energy on the receiving end).

</div></div>

No. #1 a lot more energy on the receiving end is dead wrong. Momentum, sure. #2 the results aren't the same, hitting a large silhouette at 1000 yards is nowhere near the precision a faster, smaller bore centirefire round offers. (although it is still impressive in its own right)

Wild West has their own TV program in taping these days - that kind of thing is likely to get put on the tube. Folks in Anchorage that have stopped by the shop have had mixed emotions over the whole thing.

They do good work on lever guns, including a take down with synthetic stock and a big loop lever (marlin.) This kind of thing really is up their alley.

My gunsmith shoots shutzen with an old 30-30 lever gun. Really nice marlin shoots about half inch at a hundred but was updated back in the 50's so it is technically modern. My 94 trapper 45LC will shoot into an inch and half at 200 if I don't flinch while shooting my dads loads for it. He wants to go hunting with it but never did so we shoot up his loads now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OldTex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go to a BPCS match and watch guys knock down silhouettes at 1,000 yards with 45-70s using Creedmore sights before you trash the old-style guns. They might be more like shoulder-mounted mortars compared to the modern precision shooter, but the results are the same at a fraction of the price (and a lot more energy on the receiving end).

The problem today is getting a quality American lever gun without hitting the used gun aisle. Marlin has been putting out junk since they were bought out. Browning and Winchester sell the finest lever guns today and they are both made in Japan by Miroku. The Italians (Uberti) make the only other quality lever gun on the market today, mostly old Winchester replicas. Henry makes some pretty guns but they aren't known for their accuracy.

My local club has monthly silhouette matches out to 300 yards using pistol caliber lever guns. I just pulled out my 3 old Marlin lever guns (barely used) and took them to a smith to get the triggers smoothed out and have tang sights mounted. I'm going to give it a whirl for a change of pace. Here's two of them, a Cowboy Limited and an 1894, both in .41 Magnum. The other gun is an 1894 in .357. The 1894 pictured (in front) has a Williams peep sight with target knobs mounted to the back of the receiver. That sight has 1/4 MOA adjustment clicks for windage and elevation.

145054090.jpg

Killerwaffle, you might try some of the companies that customize and outfit guns for the old west shooting sports, like Buffalo Arms, Cimmaron Arms, or Track of the Wolf. If they can't help you, I bet they can point you in the right direction </div></div>

Those rifles look sweet, Thanks for the advice. Im glad im not the only one.

Not sure how to get pics up...

1895G 45/70. Everything that Wild West Guns makes is on it.

One sweet shooting and fun shooting rifle.

They may not be "precision" rifles but they're good fun. I'm playing about with an old Win 92 at the moment, converting it from 32-20 to 357, fat barrel, docter red dot and a blast of cerakote. I cant wait to finish it and get a few rounds through it.

DSCF0200.jpg

Give Lee Hadaway from thearmsroom.com a shout, he will fix you up. He is located in Trinidad CO. He built these cuatom big bore takedowns for me. .45-70. and .450 Marlin.
DSC00265.jpg

DSC00176.jpg

Re: Where is the Lever Action Love? (Savage 99)

I've owned, in this order:
1. Marlin 30-30
2. Browning BLR (Belgian made) .308
3. Savage 99 C .308

Of all of them I love the Savage 99 C. There is NO lever gun as strong as a Savage 99. Basically it's a lever operated falling block action. The trigger can be made very smooth.

I'm re-barreling mine in an octagonal barrel W/ 5R rifling from Obermeyer and putting a custom Weineg laminated brown stock on it W/classic cheekpiece and Schnabel forearm.

Then it's "little brother, a Ruger 96/22 in .22 mag.will get the same treatment so they make a matched pair.