• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Where is the Varget?

bdh308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 14, 2009
Paris,Tennessee
Although Ive been using RE15...I finally got my hands on a LB of Varget with great results and now I cant find it anywhere. Everywhere I go vendors are getting alot more in stock even RE15 but no Varget. Why is this paticular powder so hard to come by when everything else is starting to be readily available? Did the Gov. walk into Hodgdons factory and point a gun at there head and tell them to quit producing it. Im just frustrated liked the rest of the reloaders. I kind find all of Hodgdons powders even BLC2 but no Varget. Thoughts?

Re: Where is the Varget?

It's popular because its one of the least temp sensitive powders that exist for .223 with heavies and .308. People scoop it up when it shows up. There was just another run on 8lb kegs that showed up at an online dealer just this past week. Gone within an hour. Been the story since Dec-Jan 08.

I have 24lbs i finally got after a long wait... I figure now I wont have that problem anymore. With my frequency of shooting itll last a good 3 years.

I can find everything Hodgdons makes except for Varget. You would think with the demand that they would step up production. Thats where my concern steps in...I just wonder sometimes.

The demand for Varget will soon taper off, as many of us have enough to last a very long time.

Same for primers and other components.

The manufacturers know this, cause they are the ones who have sold us these metric ass-tons of powder and primers.

I suspect keeping prices up trumps increasing production when they know demand will decline shortly.

I was able to jump on 2 8lbs'ers a few months ago.... I just cant find F^&*($g primers....... I started buying reloading kit at the begining of the year and have yet to do a first load.... It is getting old real fast..... Ok Rant off..... Good luck with your search!

BDH308- I have a few 8lb jugs of Varget here and will be heading to Tennesee for Thanksgiving. Let me know if you want to buy one and I can bring it with me and save you S&H and HAZMAT fees.

went to a medium size show today and the reloading guy had 10 1lb jugs for $23.99 each, if i didnt have a 8lb id get a few

Went to a show also today and one vendor had at least 1 8lb jug of varget for 156.00, would have and maybe should have bought it but seem to have enough for now. Also, bought a case of 5000 cci large rifle BR-2 primers for 39.00 a box. Went back to see if the varget was still there about an hour later and guess what, nope it was still there. Couldn't believe it. If you guys would have been there Im sure it would have been gone long before I discovered it.

Took a trip to KY to a little place that is a Hardware/Reloading store and picked up 2lbs of it and got some Federal210m primers. This guy is a diamond in the ruff. You wouldnt be able to tell from the road that this guy is selling reloading equipment. On top of that he is old school and doesnt jack up the prices and gets a truck every month for primers and powders. Mccrazy thanks for the offer and your hospitality. I sent you a pm on that offer.

Thanks again

Question about that I found 6 8 pound jugs f it at my local range, looks like it has been there for ever, should I nap it anyway

Hell yeah bro. As long as its stored inside and not out in the weather with temps changing all the time its good. Theres alot of posts on here about storing powder. Personally I dont keep mine in a temp controlled environment and never had issues.

Sorry, I bought most of it
wink.gif

I do love the ol Varget, lots of pounds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage_Jake</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is 40 lbs in my man cave!!!! </div></div>Fixed for me.
laugh.gif

No problem BDH. Reply on the way...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PolishHandgunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The local Wal-Mart had at least 2 one lb cans of Varget today! </div></div>
I wish my local WallyWorld carried reloading supplies but if it turned out anything like their ammo sales, they would always be out of anything I want anyway
frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bdh308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Took a trip to KY to a little place that is a Hardware/Reloading store and picked up 2lbs of it and got some Federal210m primers. This guy is a diamond in the ruff. </div></div>
I'd ask you for specifics but I'm guessing that since your from TN, this shop is in southern KY?

Bowling Green KY is where that little shop is. Old hardware store with an old chap working behind the desk selling reloading supplies like he gets it like water.

Pwoder valley has Varget and a whole shitload of it !!!!!

Thay have all 1# containers but got in 700# about 3 days ago.
I bought 12 to make sure I am good for a year or so
Bill

Powder Valley has 1 pound cans in stock. If anyone feels like making a road trip to Miles City, MT the sporting goods store there has BR4, BR2, and Fed 210M primers in stock. They have a pretty good selection of powder too. Finally got my hands on some H4350 the other day. Western Powder's distribution is located there, so we have been able to get most powder without much wait.

Saw about 15 1 lb cans at Walmart this weekend in Harrisonburg VA. I purposely avoided the stuff when I saw everyone trying to hoard it a while back. I found other powders to work for my loads.