• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Where on the web to discuss CCH gear?

fastline

Private
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2011
ks
I need to optimize my holster/belt situation for different attires. There used to be a concealed carry forum that was more tailored to this, but I guess it's not around anymore.

Anyone have input?

I need to optimize my holster/belt situation for different attires. There used to be a concealed carry forum that was more tailored to this, but I guess it's not around anymore.

Anyone have input?
Primary & Secondary group on Facebook is as good as it gets run by solid guys who train and work in it for a living no bullshit tolerated.

Primary & Secondary group on Facebook is as good as it gets run by solid guys who train and work in it for a living no bullshit tolerated.
Agree, that seems legit. However, that appears to be closed for discussion? I am looking to discuss my needs and come up with a better plan. I am, however, looking to avoid amateur hour and all the jokery around CCH gear that is not practical or reliable.

Agree, that seems legit. However, that appears to be closed for discussion? I am looking to discuss my needs and come up with a better plan. I am, however, looking to avoid amateur hour and all the jokery around CCH gear that is not practical or reliable.
This one is the discussion group lots of great info

Attachments

• 11B0022E-33FF-4F39-9238-1B9C9B37D548.png
    11B0022E-33FF-4F39-9238-1B9C9B37D548.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 41
Honestly man, rather than ask what forum to go to to ask your questions....ide just ask your questions here.....

....P&S is fucking 1 step above redditors....i got banned from their forum for saying they type of lube you use doesnt matter....not sure i trust those autistics opinion on much of anything....
Except it does matter depending on the situation…

Op phlster concealment workshop group on Facebook is probably the best I’ve seen. Obviously a lot are using their products but it’s the most no bs and helpful group of people I’ve come across for hiding and carrying a handgun.

Honestly man, rather than ask what forum to go to to ask your questions....ide just ask your questions here.....

....P&S is fucking 1 step above redditors....i got banned from their forum for saying they type of lube you use doesnt matter....not sure i trust those autistics opinion on much of anything....
Oh boy, hope that is not one of those "our way is the only way" groups?

Basically I have been caught off guard recently without my CCH because it is such a PITA. Simply for office types, but I am all over the place. I realize I will have to compromised on "ideal" vs practical to actually wear. I do NOT do IWB stuff. Extremely uncomfortable, and we are an open carry state anyway. I carry OWB, but concealed.

What I am looking for is a belt or system I can wear that is stupid fast and comfortable with shorts, and ignore the belt loops. I am currently carrying a Bersa 380 but I might consider going to something even smaller in the summer, though there gets to a point that I don't like the small chassis.

I currently use a hybrid holster with leather interior, Kydex ext. It's pretty comfortable but not very rigid and belt tension affects retention of the firearm. Not cool. I also want way more retention than your average bear. I want to be able to sprint and jump without concerns. That usually means a thumb break, but I can't find one I like.

Basically I want crazy sleek and formed to me. I bought an Alien holster and still chopped it all up because it was too bulky. The main issue I have with it is I run it through my belt loops and belt because I do NOT want that failure in a situation. I have literally seen holsters retained with magnets. Not a real great idea IMO!

I am starting to think I need to buy Kydex and just start making my own? It seems that might be better/cheaper to getting what i desire?

What do you mean by your cch is a pita and the office type remark. Are you putting on and taking off your gun/holster throughout the day?

Sounds like you were posting bullshit, which isn’t tolerated as stated above. Can’t please everyone.

a couple questions:

1) how real is your "sprinting and jumping" requirement?.....is that something you are doing on a regular basis?
2) are you open to carry in other locations? pocket, shoulder, ect?
1) Very real. I was a sprinter and athlete and my agility is very important to me. I used to run an Uncle Mikes with thumb break. Was perfect for me other than it was not sleek enough to carry.
2) I have considered other locations for carry, but none work without constant adjustment. You can't put a piece in your back pocket, for instance, and sit in a car.

Apparently I struck a nerve with the office comment. The reality is I might climb under a bulldozer, I might climb on a roof, I might be in a truck for 3hrs, I might be turning wrenchings rebuilding an engine. In some of these cases, there is just no way to carry practically, so I need to be able to remove my weapon.

When I am working in the heat, it is stupid hot, I sweat like a hog, and I don't want anything on me. I am usually wearing light shorts, tshirt, and tennies. I was thinking of a very rigid belt with QD buckle. I honestly don't know if running will be an option until I try it.

it is all frustrating but crime is turning up in my area and I need to figure this out before I become a statistic.

The Bersa I carry was for a few reasons. It is cheap, double action hammer, single stack, mid size, semi auto. I know everyone goes back and forth on this but I like the hammer down (safe) in my crazy work life. If I am afforded an extra second in a situation, I can pull the hammer back to improve my trigger.

But anymore, I might need to rethink a different frame, but will on accept an auto. I have Glock toys. I just prefer low profile. If I was serving or an LEO, that would be different. I like to think practically.

I don’t wear shorts but my use case is very similar otherwise. The solution for me is aiwb carry in a quality kydex holster with dcc clips and a core or similar belt with a ratcheting buckle. It may take some effort playing with wedges and holster position but I’ve never seen it absolutely not work for anyone unless they were just terribly out of shape and have a gut. I carry a g19 sized gun and honestly forget it’s on me sometimes until I have to belly crawl or lay on something.

I appendix carry when I can. But while working I have similar challenges to you(bending, climbing, crawling) I have found a a m&p bodyguard in a pocket holster to the best compromise for me.

I am shopping for an appendix holster to start carrying my new glock 43x. I want to start carrying a more capable gun when I can, but plan to keep the bodyguard close by when I need to be agile.

Time will tell what I stick with.

What about a belly band? It would work while wearing shorts and wouldn't require a belt.

Then a pocket holster for when in the office.

More than likely there isn't going to be a one answer solution to this problem. You will probably end up with a few different options that you can switch back and forth quickly.

OP, I live inTX and I’m originally from Fla. I get the shorts requirement. I’m a retired cop and I don’t run down bad guys anymore. I use a 511 trainer belt(black nylon with a plastic stiffener in it) and a kydex IWB holster. I always wear untucked shirts. (Camp shirts, golf shirts, dress shirts or Tee shirts) But I know you want an OTWB.

I’m Waiting on a Dan Wesson commander sized 1911 to come in and I’ll start wearing either El Paso Saddlery “Tortilla” or “Strongside Select” or Galco’s “Fletch” or “combat master”*. (W/o retaining strap)

With the 1911, or really any pistol I want a snap over the gun so I don’t lose it while going about my daily routine. I carried a P226 as a detective in a Fletch holster and never had a worry about bending over or other things and losing the gun from its holster. The thumb snap is ingrained from my detective and duty days.

1) Very real. I was a sprinter and athlete and my agility is very important to me. I used to run an Uncle Mikes with thumb break. Was perfect for me other than it was not sleek enough to carry.
2) I have considered other locations for carry, but none work without constant adjustment. You can't put a piece in your back pocket, for instance, and sit in a car.

Apparently I struck a nerve with the office comment. The reality is I might climb under a bulldozer, I might climb on a roof, I might be in a truck for 3hrs, I might be turning wrenchings rebuilding an engine. In some of these cases, there is just no way to carry practically, so I need to be able to remove my weapon.

When I am working in the heat, it is stupid hot, I sweat like a hog, and I don't want anything on me. I am usually wearing light shorts, tshirt, and tennies. I was thinking of a very rigid belt with QD buckle. I honestly don't know if running will be an option until I try it.

it is all frustrating but crime is turning up in my area and I need to figure this out before I become a statistic.

The Bersa I carry was for a few reasons. It is cheap, double action hammer, single stack, mid size, semi auto. I know everyone goes back and forth on this but I like the hammer down (safe) in my crazy work life. If I am afforded an extra second in a situation, I can pull the hammer back to improve my trigger.

But anymore, I might need to rethink a different frame, but will on accept an auto. I have Glock toys. I just prefer low profile. If I was serving or an LEO, that would be different. I like to think practically.

Nobody can tell you what will work for you. You'll have to waste the money on a box o' holsters like the rest of us.

But I will say this: after buying AIWB holsters from Tenicor, JM Custom Kydex, Priority 1, and Tier 1 Concealed, I won't buy anything that doesn't say Tier 1 on it.

pistol-forum is another retardfest

OP, you were crystal clear about not wanting IWB so I won't suggest that...

You might want to call ProTeq and ask about having a custom made kydex/leather or all kydex rig made using their finger width, very narrow quick loks- one on each side where you'd normally see the belt hooks. They add negligible width over the use of regular belt hooks. The beauty of quick loks is they literally lock fully around the belt but can also be unlocked for holster removal.

YOU ARE FROM TEXAS. If your gun won't run in the bitter cold of Texas, you need a different gun.
It was an unusually cold night for the area and it was the tightest fit gun I have. Switched to a different oil and function tested it after a few hours in the freezer. It’s sorted out now.

the year is 2022...you dont need to spend your money on unreliable firearms anymore....you have options.

and yes, if your gun is "oil specific"...it is unreliable...because if slightly too thick of an oil will cause it to fail, so will the slightest bit of dirt, carbon, brass shavings, ect.

long story short, the oil isnt the cause of the failure....the gun is.....the oil is just a temporary bandaid to a preexisting problem.
Remember frog lube? That shit locked up a bunch of otherwise functional firearms. Does that mean all of those are unreliable since they wouldn’t run with that snot?

A gun is a machine like any other. Matching lubricants to ambient/operating temp is pretty standard practice across the board.

The heavier oil I usually run because it’s 90f+ here doesn’t work when it’s 25 in one gun that’s run thousands of rounds before that without fail. That’s pretty easy to overcome.

I use Lucas Red and Tacky, well below zero, on my snow plow and on my 1911s.

Reactions: 308pirate
Bicycle grease gun filled with any reasonable quality grease is what you want on your bench. I don't like oil, not because it doesn't work, but because it can splash back on you while shooting.

I think I am coming around that I need to find a new Summer time carry piece. I just don't see the Bersa as practical for much of what I do, and I realize that if it bothers me too much, I won't carry it.

I don't see a spandex belly holster as an option for me because I am in the heat many times and I sweat like a stuck hog. I literally have rust on the Bersa just from being on me at all.

So I might open up the ideas to another new toy? I usually don't go after anything crazy expensive, yet reliable. I would only carry an auto, single stack, and compact. Probably stick with .380 though I have even thought about a little .25 just to have 'something' when I go run. I am in the country so that would be like a rabid coyote sort of deal.

I also would have to accept/need a double action trigger. IE, I don't want something with the the hammer pin locked/cocked, like my Glocks. I realize they have a 'safety' but I am more likely to have an accident in my work than actually need the thing. This is why I selected the Bersa. Hammer is down all the time. If I am afforded time, I can cock for more precision, but I don't need a "bump and go boom" sort of thing.