• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Where should I move?

HousePlant

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Jan 16, 2020
    This is going to be a bit of a rant, but I'm interested in what people think. I presently live in Georgia. I've never been happy here for a number of reasons and one of them is the surprising lack of rifle shooting sports "space" availability. For a "southern state", which you'd think would be more rifle friendly, I find it exceptionally difficult to shoot more than 100 yards without either being a member of a prohibitively expensive rifle club or personally owning a hundred acres of land. You can't target shoot on public land (which is somewhat understandable, even on large tracts, because its largely forested vs. a desert). The few public rifle ranges >100 yards have routinely been closed "for improvements" for >1 year at a time (despite just being rebuilt a few years ago) and they only go to 200 yards. There are a few 800-1,000 yard ranges that don't require or offer a prohibitively expensive membership, but can be as high as $50+ per hour, in one place you have to officially register your firearm to a government database (military base), etc. Just hurdles I had hoped didn't exist.

Worst of all, finding somewhere interesting to shoot steel without being breathed over by a grumpy old man. I exaggerate, but it's not uncommon.

Maybe I'm being a little to picky and I'm sure I'm being a little unrealistic, and I know shot bullets are dangerous and the risk is exponential the farther you shoot. But I know in places like Utah and Wyoming and the like people just go out to the public desert with some steel, set it up, and fire away. I want that "free-feeling" experience before anti-2A fear mixed with people's uncontrolled baby-making habits over-populate that freedom away. I have been thinking of Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, Colorado, Arizona, maybe Texas.

But I also want a job.

Interested in what the community here thinks in terms of "where I should move"?

Reactions: MCHOG
    Stay away from AZ. We have some good desert spots for now, but the imports are ruining it all. They drag all their shit out into the desert and leave it. Not to mention the cities are getting expanded into the deserts, the forests are getting overcrowded and/or shut down. A bunch of Californians bought up a neighborhood in Prescott next to a long established shooting range and got it shut down because it was too loud.. Sooner or later there won’t be anything left. I’ve lived here all my life, and I’m looking for somewhere else myself.

I totally understand how you feel. I was STUCK in your state for the better part of a year. Coming from AZ I felt like I was in jail even when outside. In AZ I can drive for literally hours and see nothing but open country. In GA you couldn’t find a shooting range let alone a place to off road.

You should take a trip to the west and see how it fits you. The heat sucks, the desert is amazing if you respect it.

Unfortunately AZ is now CA’s escape plan. They come to our state, buy houses for CA prices then try to change our state to for their wants and forget that is how they ruined their state.

Oh one last thing. If you come to AZ if someone tells you the place you are looking for is in another county it’s not a 10 min drive across the county like it is in GA.

I lived in Colorado for over 35 years, and not only is there an abundance of hunting available, but there are many fine gun shops and gunsmiths. Further, the Denver area is blessed several great gun clubs, such as Cherry Creek Gun Club, Centennial Gun Club, and my personal favorite, Colorado Rifle Club. You can shoot out go 1,000 yards at Colorado Rifle Club. Hope this helps.

Theres a book called strategic relocation, you should look in to it.

I have some property in the mountains in SW Colorado. For the last 10 yrs or so I go out there and shoot pdogs. Beautiful state, but politically it's sliding into the abyss. If you can financially insulate yourself (ie hundreds of acres outside a rural town - great), otherwise I'd take a good look at Wyoming/Utah.

For a "southern state", which you'd think would be more rifle friendly, I find it exceptionally difficult to shoot more than 100 yards without either being a member of a prohibitively expensive rifle club or personally owning a hundred acres of land.

If you don't mind me asking, where do you live in GA? I've never had a problem finding decent places to shoot when I had the time for it.

Reactions: Lightning8
    I am in Colorado Springs and echo what my fellow Coloradans have said. I have been here 15 years and I've seen a drastic change in the state's politics. If you can own your own land, there is no where else better. But I am also look at what it might take to move to Wyoming if things get out of control here.

Reactions: whiskeytower
    It all depends on your risk allowance and threat posture.

Are you concerned with natural disasters? Hurricane, earthquake, flood, drought, etc?
    Are you concerned with manmade disasters? Nuclear power plants, probability of nuclear attack (proximity to military targets like silos or bases).
    Are you concerned with civil disasters? Various riots seen across the country, we all know the drill by now.
    Do you have an affinity to types of climate or geological terrain? Warm weather, mountains, beach.
    Can you work from anywhere? High speed internet needed but you could get aware from it all otherwise.

You can map a lot of that at arcgis.

Reactions: Rod79
    Stay away from AZ. We have some good desert spots for now, but the imports are ruining it all. They drag all their shit out into the desert and leave it. Not to mention the cities are getting expanded into the deserts, the forests are getting overcrowded and/or shut down. A bunch of Californians bought up a neighborhood in Prescott next to a long established shooting range and got it shut down because it was too loud.. Sooner or later there won’t be anything left. I’ve lived here all my life, and I’m looking for somewhere else myself.
    Born and raised in Prescott, my dad helped fence the old range back when they put it in.

Wyoming? How do you feel about -20F? In October? January is even more fun. How about getting a job and the energy sector taking a hit and it’s gone, leaving you jobless for the next year? When it does come back, how do you feel about seeing nothing but out of state trucks doing the work while you can’t get a reply back on any applications? Have a wife? How does she feel about driving 100 miles to get to just a Walmart, much less anything else? Don’t have a wife? We have a saying, there’s a beautiful woman behind every tree, when you see what the prairie looks like, you’ll get the joke. Wyoming supposedly is a free state, yet why do we suppress many freedoms and live on the government teat?

There’s good reason Wyoming still has less than half the population of the next smallest state.

Texas is out. California and jew york libs have destroyed the state. The state is about to turn blue and never be the same. I have lived here all my life and will be ran off my land soon by taxes. I would move to Wyoming in a heartbeat if I could tale the extreme cold. These old bones dont mix well with cold.

Here!

20200727_185407.jpg

Texas is all private land , you need to know someone or just do the club matches on private land, on the other Oregon and Washington there is public land that you can shoot out to as far as you can see all over the place, but it’s a liberal breeding ground
    So many great places to shoot but plenty of goons in the cities.
    I live in the only republican congressional district on the I-5 corridor and as a city I like Vancouver.

I lived in Colorado for over 35 years, and not only is there an abundance of hunting available, but there are many fine gun shops and gunsmiths. Further, the Denver area is blessed several great gun clubs, such as Cherry Creek Gun Club, Centennial Gun Club, and my personal favorite, Colorado Rifle Club. You can shoot out go 1,000 yards at Colorado Rifle Club. Hope this helps.
    Cherry Creek Gun Club is full of Fudds, range nazis, and you have to pay to get into the park, then pay for the range time.

I grew up in NoCo, I moved north across the border for good reason. Colorado is merely a shell of the state it used to be.

To the OP, Wyoming is closed

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
    Ohio. Ohio. Ohio. Akron Area. Cheap living. Thundervalley southington rockland and Rayners all with in two hours. Rifle builders locally. SAC, kelbleys, Tvp, area 419,

Reactions: Jumper
    GA is pretty sweet for long-range shooting. Sure you have to register weapons on Gordon, but steel is placed for you and they let you borrow the golf cart to paint targets. For me, packing steel and laying them 1k out is for the birds; it takes away shooting time, heavy manual labor before trying to shoot, finding a good spot so you can see it at your shooting position, and the list goes on.

Arena Training Facility, Gordon, Alabama Precision, Rifle Ranch in AL, Atlus, Todds Resource Management in SC; all a couple of hours drive to compete and maybe practice.

If you can stand the cold of winter come on up here to North Dakota. That is if you can stand the -40-60° winters.

Plenty of jobs, and the vast majority of people are not buying this liberal BS.

How does ND compare to SD?
    SD was looking pretty good as an option.

Texas is all private land , you need to know someone or just do the club matches on private land, on the other Oregon and Washington there is public land that you can shoot out to as far as you can see all over the place, but it’s a liberal breeding ground
    Central Oregon is very conservative/Libertarian but the leftists in the "valley" are poisoning the well for everyone. And californication is real and seems more unstoppable than kudzu was back in Appalachia. Come on over though, we can use all the help. You can shoot for miles and hunt all kinds of big game.

Central Oregon is very conservative/Libertarian but the leftists in the "valley" are poisoning the well for everyone. And californication is real and seems more unstoppable than kudzu was back in Appalachia. Come on over though, we can use all the help. You can shoot for miles and hunt all kinds of big game.
    Eastern Oregon and Washington is the same.
    24D10688-8A0F-43D6-89CD-DCCAE31149AA.jpeg

Could do 4000+ yards at this spot easily

Simple: Buy 200 acres of land and suck up the extra job that it's going to take to afford it for five years.

As long as your state doesn't totally suck, you should be able to sell half of your land by 2026 or so and just about pay for the first half. Land prices are jumping exponentially.

This is exactly what we did in 2005-2010.

If you have to do it in another state, that might not be a bad thing.

Idaho could always use another pro gun vote to offset the Kalifornians moving to Boise.
    Start here:

Idaho could always use another pro gun vote to offset the Kalifornians moving to Boise.
    Start here:
    Idaho is full. Nowhere to shoot around here.
    Try Alaska.

Reactions: Slab74
    Idaho doesn’t need any more fucking people moving here. I have been trying to buy a house and in 3 years average house prices have gone from 250K to 550K

Start here:

But PPL from Idaho use potatoes as their currency and who want's that.

Idaho doesn’t need any more fucking people moving here. I have been trying to buy a house and in 3 years average house prices have gone from 250K to 550K

It will happen regardless, the best you can hope for is the "right" kind of people to move there. Reminds me of Alaska in the 70's, everybody wanted to shut the door behind them. Ain't gonna happen.

The Dakotas are peaches. Wyoming and Utah are great. I spent most of my adult life in Montana, they could use some help fighting to keep that state.

Reactions: SDBguy95
    This is going to be a bit of a rant, but I'm interested in what people think. I presently live in Georgia. I've never been happy here for a number of reasons and one of them is the surprising lack of rifle shooting sports "space" availability.
    Laughing, you need to get out more, Ga has many places to shoot. The part you said about "never been happy" here says it all.

Thanks for the ideas folks. Sounds like it's better some places but the days of real freedom are all but gone. I know of all long range facilities in Georgia and surrounding. It's surprising how hard it is to find them. But I want to just go out somewhere and shoot. Ideally alone. Can't do that without a lot of land.

I would ask do you like warm temperature ? if yes Mexico you can pick up a large expanse of land for dirt cheap just don't buy it as a tourist you would be charged a far different rate . if it has to be in the US then Alaska looks really nice cold as hell in the winter and importing materials gets expensive but lots of land and really cheap off the grid living and after a few years you could get a small part of the stipend they get for living in Alaska . The out backs in Australia sound really nice away from most people I am sure you could make a living off berries and wild animals mmm kangaroo it would be just like the 80's all over again with McDonald's . I still think Mexico could be the best place less restricting laws on what guns you can and can't buy on the black market and all probably way cheaper ammo cost or supplies to make your own . well good luck send post cards with pics of you new palatial Mexican Hacienda.
    1595977798496.png

after your Coup d'état you could live in this house owed by the cartel rent free . another great reason to have a tons of kids your own little army . lol

Cherry Creek Gun Club. Where Australians go to suicide each other.

Texas is out. California and jew york libs have destroyed the state. The state is about to turn blue and never be the same. I have lived here all my life and will be ran off my land soon by taxes. I would move to Wyoming in a heartbeat if I could tale the extreme cold. These old bones dont mix well with cold.
    Fuck your “Jew” shit, asshole.