• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Where should I position bolt-action rifle stock?

ashiha

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2011
Arizona
This may be a stupid question to many, but is something that can easily be overlooked by someone like myself that has not grown up with firearms like many have.

My problem is that while shooting from a bench, I am having trouble handling the recoil from my R700 308 probably due to improper positioning of the rifle against my body. This has then caused three problems. The first being that accuracy isn't consistent due to the inconsistent movement of my shoulder. The second is that I am not able to maintain a sight picture. Finally, it can sometimes (embarrassingly) be bad enough to where I get a nick on the nose from the scope.

This first picture is an approximation on where I have been positioning the rifle (please forgive my use of paint):
wrongh.png

However, while watching some videos I inadvertently noticed some more experienced shooters placing their rifles to what seems like this:
maybe.png

But it is hard to really see. Although upon placing my rifle at the new position, it feels as if it is more stable due to being closer to my core which would also negate most of the shoulder's position.

So with that, where do you guys usually position your bolt-action rifles when shooting from a bench?

Re: Where should I position bolt-action rifle stock?

I would be interested in this as well.

Re: Where should I position bolt-action rifle stoc

Shooting from the bench for me would be more like picture one.
Shooting prone would be in the same spot as picture one but a little higher up on the shoulder....

Butt of my rifle sits right on my collar bone in the pocket made by my shoulder when my arm is bent up. Never sits on my chest like picture one.

I'm the same as LUCKS.
Your head should move with the stock so a bump on the nose does not occur. Try pulling the rifle back a little harder into the shoulder and maybe lean forward into the rifle a little.
Don't forget your follow through...

The only time the scope has grazed my slightly is when I didnt have the butt of the rifle firmly against my body. If there is any room between the butt and your chest, the rifle will overpower you most likely and you will get bit by the scope. The only time I did this is when in a new position under a time constraint and because of split focuses I forget to check it, after 1-2 close encounters I now always remember.

As for position, I think it would be the middle between your pictures. The most correct answer is against bone. Assuming your making sure the butt of the stock is against your body, I'm thinking your stock butt is too low and you have it only on muscle, then when you fire your muscle relaxes which let's it recoil back current and the scope bite you. So just make sure the stocks butt is in some way against your collarbone.

Specific position is probably less critical than a consistent position. Wherever the butt pad ends up, I think it needs to provide an easy, relaxed cheekweld and sight picture. Any physical exertion that is needed to achieve and maintain that position is very probably counterproductive.

I have mixed viewpoints regarding bone contact. I think it can result in some forms of recoil-related physical trauma, and that something like that isn't productive.

But I also believe it's the best approach to accuracy.

I apply a compromise in the form of padding.

A PAST pad or a Limbsaver Slip-On Buttpad makes reasonable sense where recoil can be considerable, and I mainly use the Limbsaver to increase LOP, which helps my rifles fit my tall frame better.

But there can be no question that it also tames recoil very assertively, and thet this aids my practice, which in turn aids my overall marksmanship performance.

But that's really academic for me. My overwhelming preference is to use rimfire rifles for my practice and training.

The Limbsaver simply allows recoil to have less impact on my concentration when I'm shooting my centerfire rifles 'for real', like in a match, etc.

Padding can permit increased rearward movement on recoil, making adequate scope-eye relief more important.

Greg

My shoulder placement on the stock seems to be slightly different between prone and bench. I'll pay more attention next time im out. This is a good question. When I shoot my rifle the way I look at is like i'm "riding the recoil". I have no problem wathcing bullet impact through the scope shooting my 308. I wonder if the size of the shoulder makes a difference as I have a slightly above average amount of meat on my shoulders. I didn't start out able to do this by the way. It took years of shooting. So..... practice

Behind the rifle; butt placement into the body off the shoulder cup usually brings your natural sight axis higher off the stock and your eye farther forward depending on build.

Bench shooting is.. off bench..and they vary. I find the island style benches quite unfavorable. BR shooters like to use this to take a more side-body approach to a supported rifle.

Guessing: It may be that your ass is just too far off the side of the bore and/or that the seat height vs the bench table is steep causing you to pull the rifle off the shoulder and into your sideways positioned body. The text your kissing the scope would support this. This sound right?
A pic of you in position both prone and on said bench might help get more quality feedback.

I go with picture one, and you should make sure your scope is set a comfortable distance from your eye and you have a really good cheek weld. Can you place your cheek upon the stock with your eyes closed and then when you open your eyes are looking right down the center of the scope? If not, you need to adjust the stock if you can or add a pad to get your eye lined up.

Also, check out these youtube vidoes (http://www.youtube.com/user/Hidetraining)
and sign up for the Snipers Hide online training.

At what distance can you see the impact? when I shoot my .308 it seems to kick up and to the Right, (I am a right handed shooter,and have been working on Natural aim point and shooting 100 yards0 is this due to improper rifle buttstock positioning?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skep_tic1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My shoulder placement on the stock seems to be slightly different between prone and bench. I'll pay more attention next time im out. This is a good question. When I shoot my rifle the way I look at is like i'm "riding the recoil". I have no problem wathcing bullet impact through the scope shooting my 308. I wonder if the size of the shoulder makes a difference as I have a slightly above average amount of meat on my shoulders. I didn't start out able to do this by the way. It took years of shooting. So..... practice </div></div>

i shoot with it even farther inboard than pic 2.

as was said above, either done consistently will result in decent groups. the advantage of pic 2+ is being able to stay on glass better and possibly spot your own impact/trace. the disadvantage is it is somewhat painful. if i were shooting magnums, i'd switch to pic 1

No matter what position I'm shooting from I try and keep the butt of the rifle as close to the center of my body as possible. Now this isn't necessarily the most comfortable way to shoot but I believe it is fundamentally the best. I shoot like this because "ONE" this is how I was taught in the Corps and "TWO" it allows me to effectively manage the recoil and "drive" the rifle more efficiently so that I am able to get on target for follow up shots faster it also aids me in spotting my shots. It works because the recoil of the rifle will take the path of least resistance. If it's in the center of your body the rifle will rise and fall straight up and down because the energy of the recoil is being absorbed evenly thoughout your body verses unevenly up and to the right "right side of your body" or vice versa. Now we all know it is virtually impossible to shoot a scoped rifle effectively from the dead center of your body, but you can get as close to the center as possible and that is going to be better than way off to the right or left in the shoulder.
The other thing I have learned while I was first being taught the fundamentals of shooting a precision rifle was that something uncomfortable like a shooting position can be overcome with training. Meaning if you train your body to accept an uncomfortable position eventually the position will become comfortable or the norm so to speak. I believe it is more important to employ my rifle as efficiently as possible and worry less about comfort. This is just my 2 cents and I have a very radical way of thinking because of the nature of the business that I am in.

Easy enough to come out of the shoulder pocket with 223 and 308 and other mild recoiling calibers, but try and put a belted magnum on the collarbone and you're going to be a hurting unit. Just sayin.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Omicron</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Easy enough to come out of the shoulder pocket with 223 and 308 and other mild recoiling calibers, but try and put a belted magnum on the collarbone and you're going to be a hurting unit. Just sayin. </div></div>

Been doing it for years with everything from 300WM up to 408 CheyTac and .50BMG and been just fine.

For any position, begin by bringing the stock to the head, not the head to the stock. Then, place the butt of the stock firmly into the pocket formed in the shoulder. The higher the position, the higher the butt. The lowest position for the butt stock will be prone, while the highest position for the butt stock will be standing. In fact, the butt stock will be so high in standing position, for a proper stockweld, an adjustable butt plate lowered to the shoulder may be useful. The adjustable butt plate may need to be raised for the prone position, again for the best control of the rifle.

Place your support hand on your chest under your clavicle (collar bone) and extend your firing arm out in front of you. Your support hand should be in a little pocket under your clavicle between your shoulder and your chest. Thats where you want the stock to be. When you are shooting prone the stock is going to be higher up on your body, do not rest it against your collar bone--use the muscular portion of your shoulder just outside the location of the collar bone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Powder Burns</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> When you are shooting prone the stock is going to be higher up on your body, do not rest it against your collar bone--use the muscular portion of your shoulder just outside the location of the collar bone.</div></div>

Shouldering any rifle will reveal, when the butt is first raised to the head, the butt gets higher in the shoulder as the position gets higher. If the position is built with the head lowered to accommodate a butt stock first shouldered without consideration for the head remaining head up, a multitude of problems can be expected.

I recommend you have a professional instructor help sort this out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: melody</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I recommend you have a professional instructor help sort this out.
</div></div>

There's very little to sort out; however, for any inexperienced shooter, building a position can be frustrating, since, when built properly to transmit the stability of the ground into the position, it may initially feel unnatural. Without a highly qualified coach to appraise the position, the shooter may not understand when he's got it right.