• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Where to buy CZ 457 action

300zx_tt

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2021
South East Pennsylvania
I just posted a WTB thread in the px here but I’m looking for other places I might be able to find an action for a cz 457. I can’t find any on the web or through a secondary company anywhere. Any help would be appreciated.

Anybody have any other action recommendations other than a vudoo or rimX?

no affiliation and out of stock at the moment

Buying a complete gun and stripping/selling off the parts you don't need is the only way to get what you want, since CZ does not sell the receivers separately.

A little patience and some online searching will find you the best deal...but the price is what the price is, nothing you can do about it. Waiting for it to go down will not happen.

While I can see the attraction of being able to buy a 457 action alone, to the best of my knowledge, CZ has never offered any of their 22RF actions for sale as an action only. As others have recommended, your best bet would be to check online auctions or the classifieds here or on RFC to buy a used 457, then strip it down to get the action. Given the many different configurations of the 457 that CZ offers, it's a little hard to understand why you couldn't be satisfied with getting whichever model comes closest to being what you want, and simply buying it. Worst case scenario is that you'd get one that didn't shoot as good as you need - then you'd have to buy an aftermarket custom bbl for it.

Reactions: WeeHooker
While I can see the attraction of being able to buy a 457 action alone, to the best of my knowledge, CZ has never offered any of their 22RF actions for sale as an action only. As others have recommended, your best bet would be to check online auctions or the classifieds here or on RFC to buy a used 457, then strip it down to get the action. Given the many different configurations of the 457 that CZ offers, it's a little hard to understand why you couldn't be satisfied with getting whichever model comes closest to being what you want, and simply buying it. Worst case scenario is that you'd get one that didn't shoot as good as you need - then you'd have to buy an aftermarket custom bbl for it.
Want a match chamber, threaded barrel, adjustable stock. I dislike how all the Threaded barrels cz offers are 16” or 24”.
The closest thing I’ve found is the mtr that 419 offers for $1100 but that doesn’t have an adjustable stock

Want a match chamber, threaded barrel, adjustable stock. I dislike how all the Threaded barrels cz offers are 16” or 24”.
The closest thing I’ve found is the mtr that 419 offers for $1100 but that doesn’t have an adjustable stock
buy one of their fully tricked CZ in the chassis/stock of your choice?

Only thing that comes close is the Varmint precision chassis MTR. They’re $1200 bucks I thought I’d spend
$300 an an action
$450 on a Lilja threaded match barrel
$350 on a krg bravo
That’s $1100 total for what I’d imagine is a better over all product than just a stock 16” barrel cz.

I’m an over thinker so when I’m getting close to dropping a grand on a rimfire I try and consider if I could do certain things and end up with something that would be better than the average

CZ 457 LRP? 20" threaded barrel, match chamber, adjustable stock....not sure when it will hit the shelves...MRSP $1195 though...not sure what street will be.

CZ LRP

Have not seen one in person yet.

ZY

Last edited:
Reactions: 300zx_tt
I bought a 457VPT w/24" threaded bbl, mostly to get the Manners PRS1T stock. But the factory bbl had issues right out of the box, with some sort of weird-looking lead fouling/spattering just a bit over an inch ahead of the chamber throat that covered the whole bore. Cleaned it out with liberal application of bronze brush scrubbing before I ever fired it, and it never reappeared. 50yd accuracy improved after a few hundred rounds of shooting with SK Std+, but fell apart when I shot it at 100-200yds. So I pulled it, and fitted & chambered a Shilen select match ratchet rifled .863" dia straight blank with my EPS reamer. Much as I like the 457 action (I have the American, Varmint MTR, and the VPT), in my limited experience, the OEM barrels are very much a crap-shoot - the American's bbl didn't shoot worth a hoot either. It had a crappy-looking crown that I dialed-in & re-cut, which helped a little, but it wound up getting a Shilen barrel also. The MTR's bbl is the only one of the three that shot well out-of-the-box. As many reports of good accuracy out of factory CZ bbls as I've seen online, it makes me wonder how I got stuck with 2 stinkers out of the three I've bought...but at least the Shilen bbl jobs have turned mine into keepers. But I wouldn't have put the time, effort, and money into the American or VPT if I weren't so pleased with the 457 action.

Don’t have Rimx or vudoo money. I can build an entire cz for the price of just an action

I'd buy a Bergara B-14R barreled action and sell/toss the barrel if it doesn't suit you then go from there.

The B-14R is a Rem 700 pattern so the world is your oyster when it comes to stocks, triggers, scope rails and bases, etc.

I'd buy a Bergara B-14R barreled action and sell/toss the barrel if it doesn't suit you then go from there.

The B-14R is a Rem 700 pattern so the world is your oyster when it comes to stocks, triggers, scope rails and bases, etc.
I’ve handled a few B-14R’s and a few CZ’s I liked the action on the CZ better…

I see 3-4 possible options at this point
1. Buy Bergara BA and put it in a KRG bravo $950
2. Buy the area 419 MTR $1100
3. Buy a cheap CZ for $500 part it out and put a lilja and a krg on it ~$950-$1100 depending on what I find and what I get for the barrel and stock
4. Buy a CZ Varmint Precision Trainer $1000

all options will run roughly $1k and get me a solid shooter, just don’t know what direction I want to go with it. I Never want to make up my mind for fear of better options. I think option 3 will bet me the most accurate rifle. 1,2,4 are easier and will probably net me a gun that will out shoot my ability currently. I have a habit of trying to absolutely maximize my money, for better or worse.

Reactions: Eadle
Don't forget to price in the accessories. That Area 419 option gets you maybe $200 of extras with the scope and ARCA rails. Any of the KRG Bravo options need $100-200 of ARCA slapped on in addition to the costs you're evaluating, and any bottom-shelf 457's won't be threaded if that's something you care about, another $100 cost if you want it.

If you'll use the feature set, I think the Area 419 is the way to go of what you've listed, esp if you're able/willing to pillar-bed it yourself.

I’ve handled a few B-14R’s and a few CZ’s I liked the action on the CZ better…
IMO Bergara's real compatibility with the R700 aftermarket is more important than subjective differences in the actions.

I Never want to make up my mind for fear of better options.
That's never a good trait. Decisiveness matters.

That's never a good trait. Decisiveness matters.
I only take 2 months to make a decision when it’s a want, and I know I have the time. There’s no need for me to rush the process, it’s half the fun. Will I eventually own a bergara, a cz and a vudoo? Yeah I will. Is it really that big of a deal what rimfire I buy? Nope. It’s just how my brain works, when I know I have all the time in the world.

Reactions: Boatninja
Don't forget to price in the accessories. That Area 419 option gets you maybe $200 of extras with the scope and ARCA rails. Any of the KRG Bravo options need $100-200 of ARCA slapped on in addition to the costs you're evaluating, and any bottom-shelf 457's won't be threaded if that's something you care about, another $100 cost if you want it.

If you'll use the feature set, I think the Area 419 is the way to go of what you've listed, esp if you're able/willing to pillar-bed it yourself.
The bottom end cz option I’d use just the receiver and get a new barrel and stock. I’d get something threaded so I can run my Mask on it for sure.

the arca stuff is a plus, not sure it’s 100% necessary at this point. Im pretty green when it comes to this type of shooting. Competing in some .22 matches is something I’d like to do. Not sure how soon I’d get to it though.

Thanks for the input!

The bottom end cz option I’d use just the receiver and get a new barrel and stock. I’d get something threaded so I can run my Mask on it for sure.

the arca stuff is a plus, not sure it’s 100% necessary at this point. Im pretty green when it comes to this type of shooting. Competing in some .22 matches is something I’d like to do. Not sure how soon I’d get to it though.

Thanks for the input!
I think you'll quickly find the ARCA to be really useful if you get into it. I took the expensive route and went with Pic rails first (this was before ARCA was so popular, but it wasn't exactly rare either), then switched to ARCA later. The ability to slide the bipod/tripod connection point around as needed is incredibly useful, and it provides a nice flat surface for bench shooting as well if you get into that.

Anyways, just remember to price in all the stuff you get (or don't get) with each option when comparing. The accessories really add up quick, I'm sorry to say.

Reactions: 300zx_tt
I just posted a WTB thread in the px here but I’m looking for other places I might be able to find an action for a cz 457. I can’t find any on the web or through a secondary company anywhere. Any help would be appreciated.

Anybody have any other action recommendations other than a vudoo or rimX?
I had the same idea, and from your post down belo, wanted to end up with pretty close to the same build. I couldn’t find on. I think in the end I’m going to just get the Pro Varmint model and use it like that until I get all the parts I wanted. My thinking is that the Pro Varmint stock would be the easiest one to sell and I could keep the barrel to use just to shoot regular 22 ammunition.

I had the same idea, and from your post down belo, wanted to end up with pretty close to the same build. I couldn’t find on. I think in the end I’m going to just get the Pro Varmint model and use it like that until I get all the parts I wanted. My thinking is that the Pro Varmint stock would be the easiest one to sell and I could keep the barrel to use just to shoot regular 22 ammunition.
I ended up with a used mtr that is in pristine condition. I could probably sell the stock and barrel and be into the receiver for ~$200 bucks, I’m gonna shoot it as soon as my Murphy precision rail gets in and see what she’s all about, then I’ll go from there

Doesn’t solve the trigger problem. The CZ457 Is an OK trigger, but I can’t get the weight under 3 pounds. Then there’s the barrel. Now that I’m playing with tuners, I might try a stock barrel before going with a Drop in, but probably would go with a Lilja.

I went with a 455VPT in the Manners stock for my son, and the only thing that we swapped was the trigger after it failed, but it doesn’t shoot as well as my 457/Lilja in a MDT ACC stock

I don’t get why CZ doesn’t partner with someone like Mile High, or one of the big 22lr suppliers like Killoghough(sp?) for at least custom guns, if not actions.

it sucks because they could be had for $350 but now they’re $475. I can’t imagine a stock and barrel will bring more than $150 bucks… I’ll start looking around more though
I would be interested in wood stock if wood is decent. I have a .22 WMR build in a wood stock in mind, already have a CZ American with .22LR and .17HMR barrel, both shoot great. I have bought a Lilja .22WMR barrel and want to inlet a wood stock just for the Lilja which is a heavier contour.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheBlackSmith
I would be interested in wood stock if wood is decent. I have a .22 WMR build in a wood stock in mind, already have a CZ American with .22LR and .17HMR barrel, both shoot great. I have bought a Lilja .22WMR barrel and want to inlet a wood stock just for the Lilja which is a heavier contour.
Ended up with a super clean used MTR. If I end up selling the stock I’ll let you know

Attachments

• AEC294AB-A460-4822-A6BC-6F032E5E4D68.jpeg
    AEC294AB-A460-4822-A6BC-6F032E5E4D68.jpeg
    202.1 KB · Views: 192
  • 21959479-10B6-4B07-BE48-0DCF05DF862A.jpeg
    21959479-10B6-4B07-BE48-0DCF05DF862A.jpeg
    474.3 KB · Views: 213
Reactions: WeeHooker
Now I can’t find a donor CZ457…
If you can't find one local, Gunbroker, and like online vendors usually have some base level 457's posted. With a little judicious shopping, you should be able to get a basic synthetic American 457 delivered to you for $450 or so. ( $550 for a pro varmint model) Once you sell off the stock and barrel, you'll be in the $300 +/- range for your action. That's what I did anyway.

Transfers have gotten expensive here in CO after my local FFL closed, so I hate shipping and BCGing a gun, at this price point. I’d rather support local gun stores if I can And only order in guns that they won’t carry. I should have just bought one a couple of months ago when I got the Lilja barrel in. The project went into overdrive when I got a deal on a MDT chassis, a Timney trigger and my first CZ457 started shooting better.

Transfers have gotten expensive here in CO after my local FFL closed, so I hate shipping and BCGing a gun, at this price point. I’d rather support local gun stores if I can And only order in guns that they won’t carry. I should have just bought one a couple of months ago when I got the Lilja barrel in. The project went into overdrive when I got a deal on a MDT chassis, a Timney trigger and my first CZ457 started shooting better.
Yep, I get that. I gave three local shops a chance to order me one. None could find ANY CZ 457 at their distributors in the month I had them looking. I finally gave in and found my own at a small shop across country and paid one of the locals the $25 transfer. All said and done, I'm into the action for $260. I also bought 3 bricks of Wolf MT in another local shop to help spread the love. Hope you find one soon.

Reactions: FromMyColdDeadHand
I don't know where in Colorado you are, but Scheel's in Colorado Springs had a few 457s in stock about a week ago. No idea of price.
They also had an impressive amount of VV Powders in stock.

Dave

Centential had one that I could use. Didn’t have the heart to tell the sales person what the fate of the rifle was after he said the stock was so pretty…

Centential had one that I could use. Didn’t have the heart to tell the sales person what the fate of the rifle was after he said the stock was so pretty…
All else aside, a higher grade walnut stock will likely bring you better resale price should you chose to flip it. That said, my problem is that I tend to keep my walnut CZ rifles unmolested. They can collect fast! :oops:

Reactions: Appalachian
I've seen photos of some 457 MTR, American, and one Varmint rifles that came with really beautiful stocks from CZ - the owners hit the Turkish walnut lottery for sure. My American has a nice stock that doesn't compare to the ones I'm talking about, but is far too nice to exchange for a fugly chassis or synthetic stock, and shoots really well after I pulled the crappy OEM bbl and replaced it with a Shilen select match ratchet rifled blank that I chambered with my EPS reamer. OTOH, I've still got a 457 Varmint NIB that came with a stock so plain that you'd think it was plain old pine...while my MTR's stock has pretty plain figure on one side, but is much more attractive on the other side.

Attachments

• DSC_1220.JPG
    DSC_1220.JPG
    432 KB · Views: 285