• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Where to go? DIY Mule Deer?

acks280ack

Private
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2009
Iowa
Ok Guys,
Hey is the deal. My buddy Eric, my brother, and I are planning a DIY Mule deer hunt fall 2010! I have had the opportunity to hunt some of the best ground in Eastern Montana the last three years. It was guided and leased ground, huge mule deer and antelope to say the least! An awesome opportunity and I hope to get back there in the near future.

I really want to enjoy the west with my brother and best friend. All of us have young families, and we can’t afford the guided option. We are all die hard white tail hunters and know a little bit about long range shooting. Also we are just DIY guys! I would love to shoot a trophy mule deer, but the hunt to us and having the time spent with each other is as important. Don’t get me wrong a good mule deer is the goal.

I though some Hide members might be able to point us in a good direction. We are most familiar with eastern Montana, but are willing to experience new areas. We would like to stay out of the mountains after all we are flat land Iowa boys… grin. We looked into south central Wyoming too.

Wyoming, Montana, Dakota’s, Colorado?
What do you guys think?
Thanks for the help.

3064_1149326418327_1382581942_30405429_4754547_n.jpg

n1382581942_30208612_2062.jpg

Re: Where to go? DIY Mule Deer?

Last year we did a DIY hunt in out of Pagosa Springs, Co.
This lil guy came from just south of there on 8 mile mesa.
Its not flatland, but it was a good trip.

Thats a great deer and I would be happy to put my tag on that! thanks for the info!

Nick,

You guys should look at Montana and the Missouri breaks. Put in for the general deer draw (before March 15th). If you get it then apply for unit 652 east of Ft. Peck Lake...that unit is almost all public land and most of the private in there is block management. If you dont draw that special permit you can still hunt west of the dry arm in the breaks...that too is mostly public land.

If you guys are willing to get out and walk and hunt hard you will find some decent mule deer bucks. I would go in mid November when the bucks are chasing the does.

This is a DIY buck I killed in unit 652 a few years back....

scan0009-9.jpg

Southwestern ND has some nice country ... some PLOTs land and other public hunting but alot of land posted for pheasants... we hunt out there and hit all the public and PLOTs land and also alot of knocking on doors to ask for permission and 90% of people are great to let my father and I on their land to hunt... all DIY hunting.... here is one I got in 2008...

mule.jpg

Awesome!
Those pics get me so excited!
Pat, thanks for in info. Am I reading it right on MTFWP? 11% success rate? Would it be beneficial to apply for the big game combo to have better odds?
Thanks again,
Nick

Not a bad idea....if you draw that combo you could also apply for cow elk permits...pretty easy draw in the breaks. Give me a call before the deadline and we can go over a few details....Pat

nice pics!gets me excited! What is the weather like in the breaks early November? Is camping a bad idea?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ejh708shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the weather like in the breaks early November? Is camping a bad idea? </div></div>

That's the best way! Get a wall tent and wood stove and do the man thing. Motels suck, but if you have to the Jordan Hotel/Motel is friendly and the guy is a hunter. October is a month of change, November is done changed. Could have a little snow, usually not rain. Temps 10* to 55* ime. Check out the weatherchannel.com for Wolf Point MT and Jordan Mt, look at the historical averages.

MTFWP is talking about making the cow elk hunting in that area an over the counter tag next season. It will probably happen so that tag will be a guarantee. They are also talking about making you wait 4 years to apply for the bull permit once you draw it. The new rules should be out soon.

Cool, over the counter tags for non residence too. MTFWP told me it was about a 50/50 odds for the big game combo. That sound about right? Our main goal is mule deer.
Thanks guys

Deer tags in Colorado are draw only and the only time that you can hunt does is Archery, if I remember correctly so you might want to take that into consideration.

I recieve Mule Deer Buck tags in Colorado ( Priorty Landowner Preference) in units 80 and 81. Also crop damage doe tags( any legal method Aug 15-Jan 31).

You can bypass the draw in CO by going this route.