• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Where to read the mirage?

Re: Where to read the mirage?

Doctrinally and practically mid-range is the norm -- where the curved track of bullet travel in wind can be <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">estimated</span></span>.

There isn't a magic reasonably priced/affordable technology option yet.

Wherever the target is I've never been anywhere where there were no indicators to read wind off of, even over water (flat surfaces, roofs, vehicle hoods, roads, air, fabric bits, trash, leaves, dust, etc.). You can read some indicators at night using conventional optics and passive image intensification.

The highest wind nearest the shooter is the most significant it simple physics. Thats what's taught at LR benchrest school as well as short range BR school. Mirage is a different matter. Mirage causes the target to appear in a different location than it actually is, its effected by wind and temperature and is location specific. Gale Mcmillan wrote a good article on Mirage start there.

I think wind is something in which experience will trump formulas, because there are so many different variables in what the known data are. I chalk it up to doing it like you do everything else in shooting. Pick a method and be consistent. Some methods are easier to achieve satisfactory results with than others, so try to pick those. In theory, if the wind follows a similar gradient throughout the distance to the target, and you learn the adjustments from reading the wind at an arbitrary range to the target, in the same conditions using the same location to read the wind, you should achieve the same results (all other things being equal). Of course a consistent gradient is a huge oversimplification, but take the calculable, test it, and use adjustment factors as necessary. It's science.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Conditions change, and IMHO, they nearly always change before you can to anything useful of a computational nature.

Shooting the wind isn't a wind meter/slipstick operation. It's a visible indicators/gut hunch process. Ask the greats, they'll tell you much the same.

Greg </div></div>

+1

For me, it's also looking for that "return" condition. ( the prevalent condition ) Figure that out and look for that condition... make allowances for conditions that vary from that also ( as needed ) and don't shoot when things vary wildly from that ( like reversed flags or the mirage and flags pointing in opposite directions )

IMHO, it's shot to shot changes, it's done totally done by feel and experience, it's a perishable skill and, it's mostly developed by doing it with careful attention to the slightest details.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jwoolf</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Conditions change, and IMHO, they nearly always change before you can to anything useful of a computational nature.

Shooting the wind isn't a wind meter/slipstick operation. It's a visible indicators/gut hunch process. Ask the greats, they'll tell you much the same.

Greg </div></div>

+1

For me, it's also looking for that "return" condition. ( the prevalent condition ) Figure that out and look for that condition... make allowances for conditions that vary from that also ( as needed ) and don't shoot when things vary wildly from that ( like reversed flags or the mirage and flags pointing in opposite directions )

IMHO, it's shot to shot changes, it's done totally done by feel and experience, it's a perishable skill and, it's mostly developed by doing it with careful attention to the slightest details.</div></div>

I cannot argue with your statements, wind must be countered to assure a good hit. All agree on that. It's always about how much adjustment is required to get the job done. There are many views on this, and while some could be helpful when certain conditions are met, others aired here are useless, having no basis in fact. There is however a post earlier from Sinister which is where the science is today. I'd suggest to any here who really want to succeed shooting in conditions other than ideal to go back and read his post. He said all there is to say about it.

I use other indicators, which border on the surreptitious.

First, I watch the other shooters' targets and spotters in reference to conditions. While this will not give me a specific correction value, it will give me on idea of how well the competition's corrections are working.

Also, while still shooting sighters, assuming unlimited sighters, once the zero for a particular (hopefully prevailing ) condition is working, I will make uncorrected trial shots under other notable conditions as a means of working out a potential correction/solution for those other conditions.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jwoolf</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Conditions change, and IMHO, they nearly always change before you can to anything useful of a computational nature.

Greg </div></div>

+1

IMHO, it's shot to shot changes, it's done totally done by feel and experience, it's a perishable skill and, it's mostly developed by doing it with careful attention to the slightest details.</div></div>

I cannot argue with your statements, wind must be countered to assure a good hit. All agree on that. It's always about how much adjustment is required to get the job done. There are many views on this, and while some could be helpful when certain conditions are met, others aired here are useless, having no basis in fact. There is however a post earlier from Sinister which is where the science is today. I'd suggest to any here who really want to succeed shooting in conditions other than ideal to go back and read his post. He said all there is to say about it. </div></div>

I used to shoot the match course as you still do but, today my thing is to shoot the 1000yd line as much as possible and that is where the small details get multiplied. That is not to say that they don't matter at the 600yd line either.

For example, I dope the mirage, as others here do but, we have flags on the 500 and 300yd lines too. I find that when I do best is watch the wind at the line, watch the mirage and when that looks correct, check the flags, if the flags have changed I add or subtract hold from shot to shot based on all 4 indicators but, it changes so fast that to say it's science is probably true but, it's an aquired "feel" too.

It's funny though how you can see the mirage at one distance reverse from the direction of the wind flags or, you get a gust of wind while the bullet is making it's 1.4 second trip to the target.

I've recently had a friend coming out to shoot with me. He's a good shot but, he's new with wind and, like I said, I'm almost exclusively shooting the 1000yd line. He's been really frustrated but, the last few times, he's picked up doping the conditions quite a bit by watching and spotting for me. I'll tell him what I'm holding while he watches the conditions and, he's picked up a LOT over the last three sessions. I explained to him how the mirage can change where you see the target at... coached him on how you never leave a round chambered in a hot chamber and let him know how all of this affects the bullet's impact at the 1000yd line.

He's coming along quite well now.

Hey, I'm not saying that I'm the end all or best at calling the wind. I just do my best with dealing with what I see from shot to shot and, every shot is a new unique condition. To know where the bullet impacts is to know what the new condition is or relates to all the other shots before it and what it did in previous sessions before this one.

To say that most can see a prevalent condition of 12mph wind blowing at 2 o'clock but, you see your 300yd flag going straight away at 12 o'clock and your 500yd flag with a 6mph wind at something between 1 o'clock and 2 o'clock and the mirage is a steady, what looks like about a 4mph mirage.... you have to do a quick computation in your head and take an educated guess and squeeze. The experience of knowing where that shot goes will teach you something, IMHO. And, IMHO, it will teach you more than fiddling with a ballistic calculator.

Not to say they don't have any worth but, if you're putting all your eggs into trying to fiddle with one, you may just miss the details or the new condition. The conditions change so fast, I see no worth in using a calculator after the first round is down range. I've seen too many new guys fiddle with one of those things and then make no corrections after they get their first shot down range. LOL ( they also cuss a lot all while missing the important changes/ new conditions ) If they're only using one indicator, they may have missed the change in the flags or never taken them into account, they're going to miss.

I think the calc can be useful.

Its output, paired with actual POI outcomes, can give one a better sense of what the indicators are really telling you.

I think it can help hone your interpretive skills.

But I also think that once you've done this and refined your base-condition-zero, it's time to try a few shots without correction under visibly changed conditions, make some judgements about how to deal with them too, put the calc away, and move on to shooting for score.

Once I have my zero, I have the prospect of perhaps adjusting windage or elevation to make corrections. This corresponds to 'chasing the spotter', and frequently draws me a'cropper. Holdoffs tend to work better in teh long run. Either method is prone to disappointment with unnoticed condition switches, so watching the condition more religiously is one of the things that could bring me improvement.

Greg

I had an interesting experience last week on this subject. My Hearst Doubles partner and I came off the line at 600 with decent scores (6th civilian team in the overall). Our scorer was a guy from the relay coming up behind us.

He asked, "hey - what is this mirage thing you two was talkin' back and forth about?"

We all have to start somewhere.

I think a calc can be useful but personally, I just draft a dope sheet for different yd lines with a full value of 10mph and, I figure it out from there.

If I see a 10mph half value wind, I take the number on the sheet, move the decimal point over once, then multiply x5 and have a number in minutes and I start there.

I'm guessing that when you draft your dope sheet, you're calc'ing it on the basis of a consistent, steady wind for the complete length of the trajectory.

I have almost never encountered such conditions.

Still, the results are useful and should serve as the basis for further adjustment according to any contrary windicators along the trajectory.

greg

Yeah, my dope sheet assumes a 9 o'clock steady wind but, as said here already, the rest of the figuring out of conditions must be sprinkled with magic pixie dust to come out with the right solution(s).
wink.gif

Honestly, I rarely use it anymore. I can usually get really close on the first shot without looking at it... ( off the top of my head, for every 1mph of cross wind I get, it moves my bullet about 6" at the 1000yd line with my current load )

The way my primary range is set up, I hardly ever get a full value wind.... I get a lot of 1/2 and 1/4 value wind, however.

The rest is just watching and paying attention.

I do think calculators are useful but, in my experience, after you figure out the initial conditions, the wind switches too fast at my own range for one to be very useful. Since I'm shooting a scope these days, I can watch the mirage change in the scope with the other eye on the flags.

As you said, the wind never is a constant thing where it's the same all the way down the length of the range but, that is where the experience comes in. That is why rounds down range are so important and, I don't know about you but, I could never put the changing conditions in between shots fast enough for a calc to become useful to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jwoolf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think a calc can be useful but personally, I just draft a dope sheet for different yd lines with a full value of 10mph and, I figure it out from there.

If I see a 10mph half value wind, I take the number on the sheet, move the decimal point over once, then multiply x5 and have a number in minutes and I start there.</div></div>

Using your exmple for let's say 600 yards and using a constent of 10: yards divided by 100, times wind velocity (MPH), divided by 10, equal MOA of drift. With your half value wind the answer is 3 MOA, or 18 inches of favor. I use the constant of 10 for my bullet, which works out well; and, I take the mid-range wind as this is what I've been told to do by the authorities on the matter. It has so far worked for me at LR, as well as at less distance. With this method, no charts, it's all figured in my head in usually less than a heartbeat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had an interesting experience last week on this subject. My Hearst Doubles partner and I came off the line at 600 with decent scores (6th civilian team in the overall). Our scorer was a guy from the relay coming up behind us.

He asked, "hey - what is this mirage thing you two was talkin' back and forth about?"

We all have to start somewhere. </div></div>
Yeah, what really sucks is when one of those types shoots a higher score than you....
cry.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jwoolf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think a calc can be useful but personally, I just draft a dope sheet for different yd lines with a full value of 10mph and, I figure it out from there.

If I see a 10mph half value wind, I take the number on the sheet, move the decimal point over once, then multiply x5 and have a number in minutes and I start there.</div></div>

Using your exmple for let's say 600 yards and using a constent of 10: yards divided by 100, times wind velocity (MPH), divided by 10, equal MOA of drift. With your half value wind the answer is 3 MOA, or 18 inches of favor. I use the constant of 10 for my bullet, which works out well; and, I take the mid-range wind as this is what I've been told to do by the authorities on the matter. It has so far worked for me at LR, as well as at less distance. With this method, no charts, it's all figured in my head in usually less than a heartbeat. </div></div>

I think we're saying the same thing.

My constant is the wind drift in inches at that yardage for a 1mph wind. ( In this case it would be 6" at 1000yds )

I do it by taking my 5mph (actual wind value) x 6" / 10 for 1000yds = moa

so:

5mphx6"=30 30/10=3moa

In my examples, I have to consult my dope sheet for 1mph drift at the yardage I'm shooting at and divide the yardage/10 to use my examples so, 950yds would be 9.5 etc.

That's how I get a starting windage value but, after that, I make changes from that "return" condition based on the feel of what the wind is doing.

It doesn't suck when they outshoot us. It reminds us that we can out-think ourselves right into a corner. That's my motivation for finding the simplicity in what I do.

I normally just chase the spotter. But try to keep an eye out for a big condition change. Been caught a few times. Watching the other shooter's targets helps too. Sometimes you will see everyone suddenly shoot 9's out the left or right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had an interesting experience last week on this subject. My Hearst Doubles partner and I came off the line at 600 with decent scores (6th civilian team in the overall). Our scorer was a guy from the relay coming up behind us.

We all have to start somewhere. </div></div>

What is that mirage thing anyway?

Good shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DGosnell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I normally just chase the spotter. But try to keep an eye out for a big condition change. Been caught a few times. Watching the other shooter's targets helps too. Sometimes you will see everyone suddenly shoot 9's out the left or right.</div></div>

Chasing the spotter is not what I do, it's a history lesson, for sure; but, not much use in predicting what will happen next.

David shoots fast enough that it works pretty well. For some string-fire matches it pays to put the plot sheet and pen away and just crank 'em down range. For fullbore... not so much (IME), especially if you get stuck three to a mound.