• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Which .17 HMR Rifle do you recommend?

Re: Which .17 HMR Rifle do you recommend?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: laylowlong</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is a very good Point Kabong. Match .22 ammo is pricier. </div></div>

I'm just saying, that to be a fair comparison on ammo price, one needs to compare like quality. All of the 17HMR stuff is pretty consistent, and good quality. Sure one brand will shoot better for me than another, but it is all pretty good stuff.

There is a place for bulk-pack, and I burn-up my share, but I don't use it for the monthly match... or to get dynamic results on ground squirrels.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: El Kabong</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: laylowlong</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is a very good Point Kabong. Match .22 ammo is pricier. </div></div>

I'm just saying, that to be a fair comparison on ammo price, one needs to compare like quality. All of the 17HMR stuff is pretty consistent, and good quality. Sure one brand will shoot better for me than another, but it is all pretty good stuff.

There is a place for bulk-pack, and I burn-up my share, but I don't use it for the monthly match... or to get dynamic results on ground squirrels. </div></div>

Yep, I shoot a lot of bargain .22 also.... right now I am smitten with the .17
though... as you said, consistently accurate... I like that.

The 17 rules. I like this round so much that I have purchased an Impact Data Book for my Savage 93 thumbhole stainless. Want to keep the DOPE on my rimfire baby! I also bought 1000 rounds on sale from Midway (came out to 11.10 a box instead of the local price of $12.99).

My only lament is that one can't reload rimfire.

Now if only the wind would stay down and the temps would be more reasonable (today's high was 25).

eleaf, I feel ya man... took my baby out yesterday for a "nature" walk.... wind was cooperating but man was it cold. The ability of this round to hit with accuracy at what I would have previously thought impossible ranges for a rimfire , is simply stunning, and when it gets there, it hits with authority. Relatively quiet too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Droopster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have to boast my Marlin 917VS I get great groups out to 100 yrds which is all the longer a range i've taken it to, and I can cleanly take squirrels out to that range. Plus i think it is one of the nicest looking rimefires i've ever seen. </div></div>

This is the one I have too although I would have gotten a Sako Quad if I had known about them at the time I purchased this. I have similar Marlins in .22 and .22Mag also.

I need a 17Hm2 in a rifle and would like it in a Quad.

Oh, and you can get a better trigger from Rifle Basix.

+1 on the Savage 93r17. It's very accurate and quite affordable to boot. Probably the best value in my gun safe right now. I wish my more expensive toys were as much fun to shoot.

Yeah, my viewpoint may be a tad cynical. My logic is as follows.

That's an awfully tiny pill to be slinging forth. Folks do it, and enjoy doing it. Hey, have at it!

I think the combination of jacketed bullet technology with rimfire cartridge ballistics is a bit like gilding a lily. Works, but it's gotta be a bit of a stretch. The proof is in the cost. It's just too much to pay (for me) to shoot an unreloadable case. I'll do my throwaway cartridge shooting with unjacketed lead, thank you very much.

I think the non-.22LR rimfire cartridges are a redundancy. Choice is good. Meaningful choices are better.

My expensively improved .22LR's are worthy of more costly fodder. But I also shoot them with intermediate priced ammo, and so far, just as good. A nice, if tiny, epiphany. Meanwhile, the bulk ammo works quite good enough for practice and training, especially for beginners.

I don't see any downsides here...; folks wanna shoot 17's, please do it. I'm cool with my way, hope you folks are too.

Greg

I picked up one of the Savage 17s with the cheapy base stock and hit it with some krylon to give it some color.

I was going to go with the .22lr, but what I wanted was something I could paper punch with at 100 yards. Since the .17 does the work of my .308 some range days, the more expensive ammo is actually cheap by comparison. At todays ammo component prices I still think the 17 has paid for itself in savings by now. Does feel like cheating though not loading my own ammo for it.

The one time I've had it out in the field it worked like a charm harvesting tasty critters.

17_with_rabbits.jpg

i have a savage 93FVSS and it is a tackdriver. straight out of the box it shoots amazing, well built and a great price. put a decent scope and bipod on it and there u go!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phoenix_86</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have a savage 93FVSS and it is a tackdriver. straight out of the box it shoots amazing, well built and a great price. put a decent scope and bipod on it and there u go!!! </div></div>

Yep. People want to think that the less expensive Savages and Marlins don't shoot as well as the Sakos or Annies, but I be they don't really. The Savage and Marlins are great guns right out of the box. I have a cheap scope on it, but will likely upgrade to something better at some point. I'm thinking the Bushnell Elite 3200 10x, but I'm not sure if a fixed 10x is what I want on that gun. Perhaps it's just the right scope for the job, but I like the idea of a variable scope.

My hunting Buddy shoots a savage with the drop in trigger and it is sweet.
As far as the cost of ammo, Yes a box of 17 is a tad pricey, but when hunting I only pull the trigger when I have a target which could be anywhere from once
to a bunch if shooting small varmintage, so the cost is maybe from a quarter to 10 bucks on a good day? The spent brass goes in the back pocket and when I get home nothing to process. Reloading? Sometimes I just get sick of reloading.
Sometimes I get sick of hunting with a centerfire. My 22 has always been the go to nature walk rifle.... the 17 just gives it a twist.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: laylowlong</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My hunting Buddy shoots a savage with the drop in trigger and it is sweet.
As far as the cost of ammo, Yes a box of 17 is a tad pricey, but when hunting I only pull the trigger when I have a target which could be anywhere from once
to a bunch if shooting small varmintage, so the cost is maybe from a quarter to 10 bucks on a good day? The spent brass goes in the back pocket and when I get home nothing to process. Reloading? Sometimes I just get sick of reloading.
Sometimes I get sick of hunting with a centerfire. My 22 has always been the go to nature walk rifle.... the 17 just gives it a twist. </div></div>

As has been mentioned, 17 ammo is only more expensive than 22 when you're comparing the 22 value box against 17 hmr ammo. When you look at the match 22LR ammo, 17 ammo costs about the same, sometimes even less than the .22.

Savage 93R17FV with the heavy barrel and accutrigger was very good

A few years ago, I origanlly was going to get a Cooper in .17HMR, but, one of my local dealers had a Ruger 77/17 stainless, with a laminated stock that he sold me at less than half the price of a Cooper. I replaced the trigger, and although it isn't quite as accurate as I would like, on a calm day, it will print dime-sized groups with the original, Hornady loading.

I've shot a pile of prairie dogs with it, and I think it works better than any other RIMFIRE I've ever used, but, if there's any amount of wind at all, it gets put away and a .223, or, .22-250 comes out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Guns4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look at the CZ 452 Varmint in 17HMR and the Anschutz MPR. I am still kicking my ass for letting a buddy talk me out of the Annie...I have to replace it one day soon. </div></div>

Had a CZ .17HMR and it shot very well once it was bedded correctly. (Only that one CZ that has been dissapointing out-of-the-box.)
I think the CZ may have shot as well as the heavier Anshutz MPR.(Both rifles were considerably better manuf, had better magazines, better feeding, etc. than "lesser breeds")
The CZ was about half the cost of the Anshutz, as were spare magazines.

I gave up on the .17HMR after realizing that I had rifles in the CZ and Anshutz that were capable of hitting a groundsquirrel at over 200 yds. range (by LRF), but that would not make a humane kill beyond 125 to 135 yds.
With the right ammo and an accurate .22LR I can kill rodents at the same ranges AND utilize an SRT "Commanche" suppressor. (I just have to hold over a bit :)

I think the .17HMR does have a place if you around livestock, or shooting where there are houses & pepole and you absolutely cannot afford a riccochet. (Altho you can still get one very occassionally even with an HMR.)

Dave3220

Hello !!
I really like the Marlins , i bough a blued one and liked it so much i go a SS one and gave the other to my son . I am amazed at how accurate this gun is . I replaced the spring in the trigger ( with a pen spring ) giving me a nice 2-3 lb .

Coyotedown.jpg

If your looking for a bolt gun look no further than a Ruger 77/17.

If your looking for a Semi-auto spring for the volquartsen.

As an added bonus volquartsen makes billet aluminum 25 round Mags that fit both guns, in case you happen to have both rifles like myself...

A have a savage rimfire in 17hmr

I love my little rimfire... for the price that you pay for this gun you really cant ask for more.

This gun in total cost me about $1100 AU with the Bushnell 4500 scope. In comparison to the $6500 AU i have spent so far on my .308, the 17hmr gets to see a lot of action.

One thing that really stands out with the Savage 17HMR is that it not only looks nice out of factory with its laminated stock, but it is also relatively easy to handle and feels very natural to hold. My friends also think highly of it.

If i had the extra money i would have gotten a Sako Quad, but my budget goes towards long range stuff. Maybe in the future i will try a quad if money is less of an issue.

IMG_2565Large.jpg

IMG_2535Large.jpg

IMG_2544Large.jpg