• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

which 17 hmr rifle is better?

signal5

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2007
tx
I am looking to buy a rifle in 17hmr. My local store has 2 rifles. A marlin 917v and a savage 93r17. the savage has a synthetic stock and the marlin has a plain wood stock. which is a better rifle out of the box? Anybody have any expierince with either of these rifles? Dont tell me to use the search function because i did.

Re: which 17 hmr rifle is better?

Both rifles are about the same as far as accuracy is concerned (which is to say they are both tack drivers). I have a Savage and I love it.

I would go with whichever has a bull barrel. If neither, it's up to you. You won't go wrong with either.

I bought one of the Marlin 917v's last week but, the darn weather won't let me get out and shoot it.
eek.gif

they both have bull barrels and cost the same. I cant seem to decide.

I have the Savage and wouldn't have it any other way

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: signal5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">they both have bull barrels and cost the same. I cant seem to decide. </div></div>

I have a Savage and wouldn't have it any other way. I really dig it (Takin' it squirrel hunting on Saturday). It has a great trigger (Accu-Trigger) and is a great shooter out of the box. That said, I know the Marlin is a great gun as well.

Since the biggest differentiation between them is the stock, Savage=Synthetic and Marlin=Wood or Laminate (if I read your post correctly), I would get the Marlin were I in your particular situation. You're not going to go wrong with either gun. I'd take the one with a nicer stock.

I absolutely understand eleaf's point about the nicer stock.
Application of the new rifle would decide for me. If its a hunting rifle, and needs to be carried alot, Id choose the lighter. For truck to bench? Id go heavy.Cant go wrong either way.
My Savage .17 is Stainless over black synthetic, its a dream to tote and shoots great to 200 yards off the bench. Best of both worlds

The trigger on the Savage is better than the Marlin. They both feel the same with a thumbhole stock. The Savage shoots real good. I have never had a Marlin that didn't shoot good either. Don't think you could go wrong either way just the trigger was better on the Savage.

I just recently purchased a CZ, and was VERY impressed with the accuracy right out of the box!

I have a Marlin 917VR and out of every rifle I've owned this is definitely my favorite. Check out the link in my signature. I would change the trigger though. Then it's perfect. The stock trigger is like freakin 7 lbs. $75 for an adjustable rifle basix trigger that anyone could install in less than 5 min. I've heard nothing but good about the 93 though. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

The caliber seems accurate in most every make and model 17HMR I've seen. See which one fits you best and which allows for add-ons. I have the Marlin and bought the Rifle Basix trigger. It is a great rifle, but I use the shorter Savage magazines in my Marlin. Couldn't stand the 7 rounders gouging me in the back when slung on the shoulder. If the Savage is an Accutrigger, it would save a step in modifying magazines and replacing the trigger. If you go Marlin, go check out Rimfirecentral for tips to improve the trigger and magazines and possibly pillar the stock yourself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SmallBoreSniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Marlin 917VR and out of every rifle I've owned this is definitely my favorite. Check out the link in my signature. I would change the trigger though. Then it's perfect. The stock trigger is like freakin 7 lbs. $75 for an adjustable rifle basix trigger that anyone could install in less than 5 min. I've heard nothing but good about the 93 though. I don't think you can go wrong either way. </div></div> where can you get the Rifle Basix trigger for $75.00? Thanks!
smile.gif

I have a marlin, my friend has the savage. Hes got a better trigger, but accuracy differences between the two are nill.

if the marlin does not come with the adjustable trigger, you are 2 bic pens away from a very nice trigger with a little tinkering. my 882ssv in 22mag (same trigger as the marlin most likely) has a very nice trigger now and it took me a little over an hour because i spent alot of time polishing and touching up the sear engagement point.

I have 4 of the Marlins. 3- 917V and one 917VS. They are the best bang for the buck on the market!

I install Rifle Basix triggers and get terrific results from them. Recently, I restocked 3 of the rifles and changed scopes. I expect even better results as soon as the weather clears!

Flash

I too have the Marlin and I wouldnt have it any other way. Like everyone else said which ever stock you like best go with that one that about the only difference.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: p5200</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SmallBoreSniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Marlin 917VR and out of every rifle I've owned this is definitely my favorite. Check out the link in my signature. I would change the trigger though. Then it's perfect. The stock trigger is like freakin 7 lbs. $75 for an adjustable rifle basix trigger that anyone could install in less than 5 min. I've heard nothing but good about the 93 though. I don't think you can go wrong either way. </div></div> where can you get the Rifle Basix trigger for $75.00? Thanks!
smile.gif
</div></div>

The original price was about $90 but I got it on sale. I forget what the web site was though. Sorry didn't mean to be misleading.

I have the savage with synthetic stock. Its extremely accurate and still easy to shoot out to 200 yards, almost no bullet drop.

pass on both and get a ruger 10-22 and install a green mountain or similar bull barrel. you will have more fun, the gun will be more accurate and it will pay for itself just by the savings from the cost of 22 vs 17 hmr ammo.

I was offered a 917vs recently in a trade and I have not been able to get it out of my mind since. I expect to have one before too long...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: clayward</div><div class="ubbcode-body">pass on both and get a ruger 10-22 and install a green mountain or similar bull barrel. you will have more fun, the gun will be more accurate and it will pay for itself just by the savings from the cost of 22 vs 17 hmr ammo. </div></div>

I'm not sure what kind of HMR you were shooting, but I'd bet that no bull barrel 10/22 is more accurate than any 17 HMR I have ever shot.

I have got a savage 93r17, it does shoot tiny groups but my 10-22 is a Volquartsen superlight...it will put 10 shots inside a dime at 50 yards all day long with sk match..to the point of being boring..at 100 yards its pretty much the same..

i have a savage 93 with the SS barrel with a cheap barska 3-9 and the damn thing wont miss unless i try. hard to beat for the 250 i paid for it. -Holst

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: clayward</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have got a savage 93r17, it does shoot tiny groups but my 10-22 is a Volquartsen superlight...it will put 10 shots inside a dime at 50 yards all day long with sk match..to the point of being boring..at 100 yards its pretty much the same.. </div></div>

Okay, so your semi-custom $1000+ 22 <span style="font-style: italic">might</span> be able to hang with/ out shoot a $200 stock rifle bought at any Dick's Sporting Goods in America. I'm still not impressed.