• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors which 1911 if you had around $1500 to spend

alan98

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2008
Pennsylvania
I don't know a whole lot about the 1911's and was considering the glock 21 SF, but have a fascination about the 1911's as do many here. So as it states, if you had around 1500$ to spend on one, which would u get?? I'm left handed so ambi safety would be nice.

I've been looking at Springfield TRP, STI lawmen, and wilson CQB but the wilson is pricey
smile.gif

Open to any suggestions.

ALAN

Re: which 1911 if you had around $1500 to spend

Look for a used Baer. They are excellent guns and if anything at all is needed it will likely be a trigger weight reduction from 5 lbs to around 3.5.

Before you jump into a 1911 and was considering a Glock you owe it to yourself to check out the FNP 45 tactical. I just got a bunch in and sent a few out. The police and military guys in my area are makin a pretty good fuss over them They offer a lot for under 1000 bucks.

I picked up my last Wilson CQB for $1550 used a few months ago. There are some good deals on fine 1911's out there if you can be patient.

TRP. I have one, well it not stock anymore but its a great gun for the money

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alan98</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I don't know a whole lot about the 1911's and was considering the glock 21 SF, but have a fascination about the 1911's as do many here. So as it states, if you had around 1500$ to spend on one, which would u get?? I'm left handed so ambi safety would be nice.

I've been looking at Springfield TRP, STI lawmen, and wilson CQB but the wilson is pricey
smile.gif

Open to any suggestions.

ALAN </div></div>For $1500.00 you could get a used Nighthawk Custom GRP or Talon (or other high-end 1911 with lifetime warranty), or even a new Fusion or SA TRP (but it has some MIM parts - which I personally DO NOT like, et. al - but other opinions on MIM vary), etc.

Contact George at Gunslingers and see what he has in stock. NOTE: his prices are LOWER than the MAP prices he has listed on his website, et. al.

All of the 1911 models you are looking at (SA TRP, STI Lawman, and Wilson CQB) will serve you well. They are all extremely well-made pistols, feature excellent accuracy and reliability.

I have owned and shot the hell out of each one and ended up keeping the CQB based solely on accuracy. While the SA and STI pistols got more-than-acceptable accuracy out of the box, the Wilson was just phenomenal. I can get approx. 1" groups at 25yds with the Wilson and sub-3" groups at 50yds (when I am doing my part). It may cost you a little more than the other two options in the end, but it is worth it IMO, especially if you can get a lightly used one that hasn't been modified.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alan98</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I don't know a whole lot about the 1911's and was considering the glock 21 SF, but have a fascination about the 1911's as do many here. So as it states, if you had around 1500$ to spend on one, which would u get?? I'm left handed so ambi safety would be nice.

smile.gif

Open to any suggestions.

ALAN </div></div>
If it was me and I had $1500.00 for a 1911; I would put the $1500.00 in the bank and keep on puting money in the bank and wait until I had enough money to buy a Springfiels Armory Professional model.

In the $1,500 price range, you can pick up a pre-owned Wilson CQB in great condition. The Springfield Armory TRP would be nice also. I would recommend taking your time and search for the best match for you. With the pistols discussed in this thread, you can't go wrong with either of them.

Thanks for all the suggestions!! I will need to do some more looking around before I decide. I just wanna make sure I don't buy something then turn around and wish I had something different/better. I guess buy once, cry once!! lol
smile.gif

Alan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alan98</div><div class="ubbcode-body">which 1911 if you had around $1500 to spend</div></div>

Alan, I would pony up $275 more and get a new Springfield Professional from their Custom Shop, but YMMV.

Why not get something like a base model Colt Govt or SA Mil spec. (new or used), and then A la carte the custom options you know you want (Abi safety for example). Or possibly a basic custom package from a reputable smith.

I like the suggestions of used Les Baer's, Nighthawks, Wilsons, etc. but how often do you find a high-end custom 1911 for under $1500 with the options you want.

I agree with "be patient" and look for a used Wilson / Nighthawk or other good 1911. You will not regret it and they will always hold their value. I have seen good deals on Wilsons here on the Hide. Picked my Wilson up at a local shop - "divorce sale".

Good Luck!

Springfield Operator MC or a nice Kimber, Surefire X200 and a few extra Chip McMormick mags. All for 1500 bucks. Buy used and you even have some money for ammo.

Try and get one of these.

http://www.berryhillguns.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5&amp
MEUSOC Replica
MEU(SOC) OLD VERSION SPECS:
- Caspian frame and Caspian slide with Colt-style vertical cocking serrations
- Kart match barrel and a match barrel bushing fit finger tight so it can be removed without a bushing wrench
- Caliber: .45
ACP
- Berryhill Commander ring hammer, sear and disconnector
- 3-hole aluminum Videcki-style trigger and a 4 to 4 1/2 lb. trigger job
- MEU(SOC) replica fixed black rear sight and a Millet black front sight.
- Ed Brown ambi thumb safety
- Clark-style grip safety
- Lowered and flared ejection port, beveled mag well
- Flat serrated steel mainspring housing with military style lanyard loop
- Full Reliability Package including a bar stock extractor and an oversize firing pin stop
- Tested and tuned for complete reliability with factory ammo
- Pachmayr black rubber wrap-around grips
- 2 Wilson 7-round magazines
- Mild dehorn keeping the gun’s lines intact
- Wolff springs including an 18 lb. recoil spring
- Slide, barrel hood, grip safety, mainspring housing and both safety levers stamped with the last 4 digits of the frame’s serial number
- Blackened parkerizing (manganese phosphate) with blackened (blued) barrel
Price: $2150

OPTIONS:
- Substitute a solid long match trigger for the 3-hole trigger (no charge)
- Angled cocking serrations (no charge)
- Add front cocking serrations $100

These are the only options available for this pistol. If you want tritium, a different thumb safety or other options, please take a look at the Retro Model. The Retro Model is essentially the same pistol as the MEU(SOC) replica with a different front sight, safety and several other options available. It is also available in a Commander version.

I am not taking any new orders at this time.

THE "OLD VERSION" REPLICA IS ALSO AVAILABLE ON A CUSTOMER-SUPPLIED PISTOL FOR $1700.
Suitable pistols are Colt Series 70, Springfield GI, Springfield Mil-Spec and U.S. Government GI 1911s. If you have questions about whether your pistol is suitable, please contact me. The price does not include shipping and insurance. Complete pistols are not available to residents of California. Texas residents will be charged 8.25% sales tax. All prices are subject to change.

I am not taking any new orders at this time.

Please note: I have stopped using Bar Sto barrels due to the extended wait that it takes to get them. I have also stopped using Wilson and other stainless steel barrels for the MEUSOC pistols because blackening stainless steel parts has become a problem in my shop. I have switched to Kart barrels because I can blacken carbon steel barrels with regular black oxide and they look the same as blackened stainless steel.

Please note: I have stopped using Bar Sto barrels due to the extended wait that it takes to get them. I have also stopped using Wilson and other stainless steel barrels for the MEUSOC pistols because blackening stainless steel parts has become a problem in my shop. I have switched to Kart barrels because I can blacken carbon steel barrels with regular black oxide and they look the same as blackened stainless steel.

MEU(SOC) 1911 History:
Force Reconnaissance units in the Marine Expeditionary Unit (Special Operations Capable) or MEU(SOC) (Pronounced "Mew sock") of the United States Marine Corps carry a 1911 as a secondary weapon. These are some highly motivated individuals that are trained in hostage rescue, the boarding, searching and seizure of vessels and the tactical recovery of aircraft and personnel among other things. These 1911s are built by Marine Corps armorers of the Precision Weapons Section (PWS) in Quantico, VA using 1911s that are in their inventory, commercially available parts and a rear sight that is made by the armorers. These pistols have developed somewhat of a cult status among fans of the 1911.

I did quite a bit of research including getting several of the manuals used at PWS and talking to some of the armorers who built the pistols. The result is a pistol that is as close to the original as I could make it. Actually, I came up with 2 different versions of this pistol since the original has evolved as the Marine Corps armorers have upgraded some of the parts while rebuilding the guns. For lack of a better term I call them the “Old Version” and the “New Version” (this designation of Old Version and New Version are my own and are not used by the Marine Corps). These two pistols represent an early configuration and one of the latest versions of the Marines’ pistol although there are other versions of this pistol with different combinations of the various parts used on this gun.

Just like the original, I stamp the last 4 digits of the frame’s serial number on the right-rear corner of the slide, on the barrel hood, the inside of the grip safety, the mainspring housing and on the inside of both safety levers. The Marines issue their pistols with ambi thumb safeties so that any team member can use any of the pistols whether he is right- or left-handed.

The differences between the Old Version and the New Version are the grip safeties, the sights and the front cocking serrations. The Old Version uses a grip safety from Clark, a replica of the Marine Corps. rear sight with a Millet front sight that is silver soldered to the slide, a Bar Sto barrel and an MGW Commander-style hammer.

The New Version has an Ed Brown Memory Groove grip safety, front cocking serrations, a Cylinder and Slide Tactical hammer, a Novak low-mount rear sight and a front sight that is dovetailed and pinned. I have chosen quality after-market parts where no particular manufacturer was specified because that is what the Marine armorers have done when suitable military parts were not available.

The MGW hammer has been discontinued but I found a parts manufacturer that would make a hammer to the same specs for me. Clark has also stopped making their grip safety so I make one that is the same profile by reshaping another grip safety. The Kings ambi thumb safety has been discontinued and is no longer available. The Marines have switched to an an Ed Brown ambi thumb safety, which is what I will now be using too.

smile.gif

Open to any suggestions.</div></div>
Is it for shooting or for display?
You don't need to spend $$$ for a superbly accurate 1911, with a good trigger, and with nice finish from the factory.
If it is for shooting, I'd buy a SA Target Loaded and 1000 rounds of ammo, for your budget. Or, and STI Spartan, and 2000 rounds of ammo.
This assuming you are not reloading, otherwise replace ammo with bullets, powder, primers, brass.

PI9140L.jpg

Spartan06-Main_800w.jpg

What are you going to use it for?

What really matters to me is that the gun has dovetail sights, a magwell, beavertail, and preferably, front strap checkering and ambies. Good fit/finish is essential as well. Much of the rest is details. The STI Lawman is appealing to me because it has all of those things. Unfortunately, frontstrap checkering seems to be a feature you have to hit up a higher end gun for.

If you're not competing or carrying it on duty, though, it probably doesn't matter what you buy, and a Springfield Loaded has lots of features for the cost.

This will be mainly just used to shoot and carry. No safe queen for sure, but I just wanted to buy a good one at first and not be wishing I had spent a little more and got something much better. I like the STI lawman but it would need ambi safety. SA TRP is nice also. Still undecided
smile.gif
I will be reloading for this also ( I believe that was asked in an earlier post)

Thanks,

ALan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Unfortunately, frontstrap checkering seems to be a feature you have to hit up a higher end gun for. </div></div>

Not exactly.
You can have any 1911 frame machine checkered.

For instance.
http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/1911serv.htm#front

Kimber Custom Series I with the Clackamas stamp. They can be had now for under $1000. Spend the rest on ammo and trigger time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Unfortunately, frontstrap checkering seems to be a feature you have to hit up a higher end gun for. </div></div>

Not exactly.
You can have any 1911 frame machine checkered.

For instance.
http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/1911serv.htm#front </div></div>

I'm aware. It also requires refinishing, which makes it a pretty expensive thing to add to a gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Match308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kimber Custom Series I with the Clackamas stamp. They can be had now for under $1000. Spend the rest on ammo and trigger time. </div></div>

The Clackamas stamp might make people happy on the internet, but it really has nothing to do with a Series I Kimber's quality. Kimber did not make any guns in Clackamas, OR. Every single one of them was fitted and assembled in Yonkers, NY. The only difference is the roll mark--Kimber stamped their frames with Clackamas, OR in the earliest days of production.

If your looking at the springfield TRP I'd suggest you look at the Trophy Match as well.

But I prefer the fitting and triggers on couple of STI's I've had over my Baer or TRP.

Wilsons are nice but overpriced these days for a new one.

SIT lawmen..how much to get an ambi safety? I'm thinking it's down to between that and the TRP
smile.gif

alan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alan98</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SIT lawmen..how much to get an ambi safety? I'm thinking it's down to between that and the TRP
smile.gif

alan </div></div>

$45 upgrade.

In that price range I'd have to put my vote in for a TRP/STI or possibly if you found a really good deal on a used wilson CQB, Baer, Nighthawk, or Brown for "factory" guns. While I personally like the TRP I think at it's current market price it's overpriced. When it could be had for $1000-1100 new it was the best deal on a 1911 on the market but now that they are running over $1500 some places you get into the region of a used wilson, baer, nighthawk, which all are superior to the TRP in fit and finish.

There's also the very real option of picking up something very basic in the $600-700 range and having a good smith work it over and you'd probably still be under your price range and with a really good 1911 smith you'll end up with a finished gun that's better than anything listed above.

Beware though once you start getting into the high end spendy 1911's much like precision rifles it can get ugly fast.

My advice to you is go with Les Baer they gurantee you accuracy.

All Les Baer pistols are guarantee of at least 3" accuracy at 50 yards.

Its a beautiful gun, if you have the money save it. Time would come and you will find a good deal, Someone have to sell for what ever reason and that would be your chance.

I can tell this is gonna lead to more expenses haha
smile.gif

How is the Springfield loaded MC operator in comparison to the TRP? Gonna go into my local dealer tomorrow and get some prices. It's looking like it's either gonna be STI or SA for now.

I guess I could always get one of those and then another like les baer or wilson if I find a good used one lol. I keep saying I'm done buying new stuff but it seems to be getting worse!

Alan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B. Melick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alan98</div><div class="ubbcode-body">which 1911 if you had around $1500 to spend</div></div>

Alan, I would pony up $275 more and get a new Springfield Professional from their Custom Shop, but YMMV. </div></div>How does one acquire a Springfield Professional for $1,775?

Just got back from my dealer and they had the SA TRP in stock. It's the black armory kote one without a rail and it did have night sights. I really like this one, but need another day or two to think about it. Price was 1384, but I get 5% discount on top of that. Is that price reasonable?

Alan

From a quick search of the internet, that looks like an excellent buy at $1314. That's a whole lot of pistol for that money, too.

If I was in the market for a new pistol like that, though, I'd probably get this:

http://www.brazoscustom.com/sti_guns/Lawman.htm

And then have them install whatever upgrades you want before it comes.

It's hard to admit it, but @ $1314, the SA might be a better buy, because it comes with ambies, night sights, and a mag well, all of which are upgrades with STI.

I wouldn't really want night sights, so I guess it depends. I like the S&A magwell that Springfield uses, but if my intended use would support a larger magwell, I'd consider that.

The most important features to get on any gun, I'd say, is whatever cocking serration style you prefer, making sure the sight style is what you prefer (Novak cuts or Bomar style), your preference of stainless or other finishes, and making sure the front strap is checkered. Everything else is easy and somewhat inexpensive to upgrade.

I think I will end up getting that one. It should be everything I need and more. I can't justify spending 2500 or so for a custom when it will be mostly range/home defense use.

I do like the STI lawman too. I like the black/olive colored one. Id say either one will be more than I need at this time
smile.gif

Alan

I've shopped around and gotten deals for like-new Yost 1* and Ed Brown Government 1911s for $1600, if you care to look a little you can get a much nicer gun for about the same money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOPO-sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've shopped around and gotten deals for like-new Yost 1* and Ed Brown Government 1911s for $1600, if you care to look a little you can get a much nicer gun for about the same money. </div></div>+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nihonjin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B. Melick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alan98</div><div class="ubbcode-body">which 1911 if you had around $1500 to spend</div></div>

Alan, I would pony up $275 more and get a new Springfield Professional from their Custom Shop, but YMMV.</div></div>

How does one acquire a Springfield Professional for $1,775? </div></div>

LE pricing to qualified individuals.

Not to spark but I have an LE discount list for the SA pro model and it is nowhere near that pricepoint. If it was I would own it already. Jeff

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B. Melick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nihonjin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B. Melick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alan98</div><div class="ubbcode-body">which 1911 if you had around $1500 to spend</div></div>

Alan, I would pony up $275 more and get a new Springfield Professional from their Custom Shop, but YMMV.</div></div>

How does one acquire a Springfield Professional for $1,775? </div></div>

LE pricing to qualified individuals. </div></div>
I vaguely recall some talk awhile back about what LE pricing was for Pro's. I don't recall it being that low, I thought it was a little more and that was specifically for FBI HRT guys. Hey, if alan98 is eligible for that price, I would definitely advise it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tflhnd1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not to spark but I have an LE discount list for the SA pro model and it is nowhere near that pricepoint. If it was I would own it already. Jeff </div></div>Maybe his price point is for FBI agents. I believe they had the "best" price. I can't confirm any of this, though. Just stuff I read on the net. Maybe B. Melick can confirm.

I apologize to the OP now. Sorry...If SA gives feds a 500 extra discount over city/state guys doing the same job..........F/em. On a recent training OP, my local team SMOKED the regional FED team. Jeff

I've owned four SA PRO's and if the features on the PRO are exactly what a buyer is after, it's an outstanding gun. That said, I wanted a few changes so I sent a pair of SA Mil-Spec's to be built up from scratch to my exact spec's. If that's a possibility, $1500 can get a fairly well built Mil-Spec that has the features tailored to the actual person rather than an off-the-shelf once size fits all pistol.

If you are looking for a gun to shoot and enjoy and can get a SA TRP for under 1400, that's a great deal. If you want to upgrade later, you should be able to get most if not all of that back out of it if it well maintained.

Places like Nighthawk Custom also have a serving/former LE and Military discounts (10% last I checked). Moreover, George at Gunslingers handles several different high-end weapons and his discounting often beat the factory discounting. The prices on his website DO NOT show his discounted pricing.

Since the OP is looking toward the SA, this question might apply. Between the SA PRO, and the SA TRP, what are you getting for the extra money other than mags. I ask, cause I don't know and am between these two in my hunt. I've handled the FBI's PRO's, and they are nice....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tflhnd1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since the OP is looking toward the SA, this question might apply. Between the SA PRO, and the SA TRP, what are you getting for the extra money other than mags. I ask, cause I don't know and am between these two in my hunt. I've handled the FBI's PRO's, and they are nice.... </div></div>The Pro’s are hand built. They are made in the SA Custom shop. The TRP models are production level guns and only resemble the Pro. The TRP also contains some MIM parts – not sure about the Pro – but at this price level I DO NOT desire MIM (though many have no problem with it…).

I have a Springfield TRP with the Armorcoat finish. Nice fit and finish. I replaced the FLGR with Ed Brown GI recoil parts to make it easier to take apart.

Have't had any issues with it and I've shot it in several classes. I use the Wilson 47D mags.

Cut