• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors which 1911 if you had around $1500 to spend

Re: which 1911 if you had around $1500 to spend

Buy an HK45, it has the same profile of a 1911, much less recoil, reliability that you will not find in any 1911. It holds 10 rounds of .45 with a interchangable backstrap so you can fit it to your hand. Custom 1911s are very nice pieces but if you want a gun that will shoot everytime for less than a grand give it a try.

Is that a 45?
Yep,
What kind?
The only Kind...
A Colt,
That's Right...
A Colt 45...
If it was me, and I had $1,500 to spend and new I was not going to ship it off later for more work.. I would chose Colt Special Combat Govt..
or maybe a colt ghost commander..
Buy Colt 1911. Everything else is a clone.
YMMV..
George of the Jungle..

#1. I'll be that guy...."Igo (6) post count", yeah...were talking 1911's. I am the black, dark, mythical, unheard of knight, that has had every type of weapon fail, at some point, even an HK USP. One of my first pistols, (german sig 220 45), failed once, lack of lube during break in. Still have it with 10,000+ on it like new.

#2. Full rail v/s std on the TRP? Being a rail gun I'd take the shorter being that it is intended for a light or other access...adding weight. Ounces mean a lot over time when trying to stabilize a shooting platform...NO FULL RAIL if a combat/fast comp weapon!

I'm settled on the TRP. Most likely the one in at my FFL. One last question since the rails were mentioned...this one doesn't have the rail. I don't really see a need for it anyways, but I noticed the railed one has a bull barrel vs. regular contour for the non railed. Any better accuracy etc. from the bull barreled TRP?

Alan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alan98</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm settled on the TRP. Most likely the one in at my FFL. One last question since the rails were mentioned...this one doesn't have the rail. I don't really see a need for it anyways, but I noticed the railed one has a bull barrel vs. regular contour for the non railed. Any better accuracy etc. from the bull barreled TRP?

Alan </div></div>Bull barrells type weapons can be more accurate (depending on who is fitting, etc.), but bulls also wear on the weapon itself (barrel/slide fit gets worn), etc. instead of the barrel bushing. You will get a lot of rds thru a bull before this happens - ex. my NHC Predators go around 70,000+ as compared to a NHC Dominator (w/bushing) that will exceed 120,000+. Assem/Disassem can take a little longer on a Bull (but not much...).

On a TRP I would check the "ejector." On TRPs they are often "glued" (loctited). You will need to send it off the SA to have it pinned if that is the case (or later on down the road it may ... lock the frame, etc.). SA will normally do this free...

I'd get that new Colt with the rail and spend the other $500 tweaking it to get it how I like it.

The HK USP is a fine handgun, but HK took their time and disigned the HK 45 to fill the needs of SOCOM and some other people who do great things. The HK 45 is designed to feel and function much like a 1911 but with amdi controls and much longer service life. I have 8300 rounds through my HK 45 and around 1500 through my new P-30 .40 s&w. I have yet to have a malfunction. I cannot tell you how many Kimbers and Wilson Combat pistols I have seen fail in practice as well as comps. I have many Para 1911's and they are fine pistols too, but when it comes to reliability, performance, and picking which one I trust my life to, HK gets it done for me.

1. Les Baer Premeir 5", 45ACP, blued, 1911, ambi thumb safety, adjustable sights, forward slide serrations, all original. In near new condition, low round count, very tight with 3 Baer 8 round mags. $1350 Shipped or $1300 FTF TX. Now $1300 shipped or $1250 FTF

Now that is sweet setup for the left handed guys. Just because IMO for CCW an ambi safety is a gift and a curse and having had issues with ambi's in CCW I much prefer the single sided safety.

I love 1911's and have owned a couple very nice ones but if the Glock 21SF fits you and you like it you may want to give it a second look. Fully loaded with 13+1 it is one ounce lighter than my Kimber Desert warrior empty. For $1500 you could get the Glock w/ night sights, a few extra mags, a threaded barrel and at least a good down payment on a can!
That being said, there is something incredible about a steel frame, American made 1911, and in my opinion no pistol has quite as good a feel in the hand. It comes down to what can you afford, shoot well, and carry often.

Any of the 1911's you mentioned will be excellent pistols, just find what they do and do not like to shoot and only buy top quality magazines.

+1 on the G21SF, I toted a wilson cqb for years and every time that I had to leave it in the truck "like going into work" I would say to myself "If the window gets busted out thats gonna cost me at least $2K to get another wilson" I loved the pistol but I eventually had an opportunity to do some trading around/selling and ended up with a new G21SF and I love it. Its a whole lot cheaper initially to. For me it shoots as good as the Wilson did, Im no expert mind you, but it will hit what its pointed at no problem, and its as reliable as a hammer. I figure that this being the land of opportunity Ill take 14 opportunities to kill whatever is trying to come after me instead of 8. Just my $.02

Get the TRP that's a good price on the gun. Don't get a railed gun the holsters are limited. Also if you want to put a light on the gun you can always add a Dawson rail latter. With this rail it still fits most holster when the light is not attached. The guns local good pricing and you can be shooting this weekend right? Wind up not liking it sell the thing Springfield trps seem to hold their value and get something else. This is the way we all wind up doing this. But I think you are liking the TRP and its the best Value under 1500 without finding a steal of a deal on a Higher end custom gun. Just saying you can spend time looking or shooting.

Don't overlook Sig Sauer's 1911 series, I picked up a new Sig Blackwater 1911 that is on par with my Wilson and Ed Brown for close to a 1000.00 less!!The Blackwater is a tackdriving dream!!Along with their GS Series.Plus more money for other platforms, more expensive isn't always better!!

I will be going with the TRP at the local shop for 1315$ with my discount. I think that will be more than enough pistol for me. I could spend more, but I cant justify adding another 1k to go fully custom when the TRP's have good reviews themselves. I like the looks of them too
smile.gif

Alan

Hahaha that was 1315.00, not 315
smile.gif

got my kimber from gunbroker.com for $700, which would leave you $800 more to do as you please with, maybe get a matching pair, or put some into upgrading sights and misc other gear like a holster and lots of ammo

Well for that price you can't get one custom made out of Capsian parts, but the next best thing is the Kimber TLE Custom II. It is guaranteed to be accurate and if its not then they will fix it. For factory 1911's they have the tightest tolerances and cost less then Colt. The TLE custom II RL comes with night sights and a light rail. You will not be sorry if you buy one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dudeman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well for that price you can't get one custom made out of Capsian parts, but the next best thing is the Kimber TLE Custom II. It is guaranteed to be accurate and if its not then they will fix it. For factory 1911's they have the tightest tolerances and cost less then Colt. The TLE custom II RL comes with night sights and a light rail. You will not be sorry if you buy one. </div></div>

That is some funny shit right there.

Whats so funny about a Kimber? Mark Gordon at SAC can custom fit the Caspian parts to make a super tight 1911 but he will not sell one for less than $2,000. I bought my Kimber for $900 back in 2004 and its still accurate as hell.

Kimber has no accuracy guarantee and never has. There is documented evidence online of them with barrels that are too tight, not machined straight, rust, bad finishes, not to mention endless first hand accounts of issues with feeding, extraction, and ejection.

I love my Series I Kimbers but you'd have to be a fool to buy a new one unless it was given to you and you had a gunsmith on speed-dial.

Wow I suppose I'll have too look that up. I've never had problems with mine but Mark Gordon and I bought our Kimbers around the same time and his was shooting 2-3 inches high at 10 yds and he had it sent back where Kimber corrected the problem free of charge. He eventually sold his only because he built himself a custom caspian. But maybe ours were bought before the problems developed.

I've always been a fan of the TRP for whatever reason. Some day I'll own one. Though I'd take a used wilson if you could find one in your price range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dudeman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">7 But maybe ours were bought before the problems developed. </div></div>

Doubt it. The problems started along with the debut of the Series II guns, which originally featured a jammoriffic external extractor that Kimber has since abandoned.

Just be glad if you got a good one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dudeman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">7 But maybe ours were bought before the problems developed. </div></div>

Doubt it. The problems started along with the debut of the Series II guns, which originally featured a jammoriffic external extractor that Kimber has since abandoned.

Just be glad if you got a good one.</div></div> My TLE RL II rocks! not a single problem here

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hired Gun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Before you jump into a 1911 and was considering a Glock you owe it to yourself to check out the FNP 45 tactical. I just got a bunch in and sent a few out. The police and military guys in my area are makin a pretty good fuss over them They offer a lot for under 1000 bucks.

</div></div>

You have a shop out there in North Bend? I'm going to be driving past there later this summer.

The Sig Blackwater 1911 is the way to go.Can get a brand new one for less that 1500 and it will shoot just as accurate as any custom gun out there

I bought a TRP after having owned and selling a series 80 Gold Cup. In fairness to the Colt, I don't think I gave it a fair shake. The TRP has been a very reliable and accurate gun. Kind of a beast to carry but a blast for plinking and IDPA-like shooting.

Good choice with the TRP. Found mine used but never fired for $1200.. excellent gun. I'm also a fan of SA's customer service, they're extremely fast and easy to deal with.

Might be able to find a used Nighthawk Custom for that kind of cash. Thumbs up for the TRP. JPG

I was at a shop today and saw a used Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special being sold on consignment for $1400. That's a nice pistol in that price range.

Can't believe Dan Wesson hasn't been recommended yet... I really like their 1911s.

Damn - that's a great price for a L-B. It definitely pays to look and shop in this economy. Never know what you might find ....

Novaks is in WV I have shot their guns and always happy with the product but by far I have shot and owned more Wilson 1911's. They just shoot and work, last thing you want is a malfunction when the shit hits the fan

You guys are killing me. I now can't get the trp and the hk 45 out of my head.

First of all I would go to a gun show or a large firearms store and look at the choices with options (you have written on a list) pick it up, see how it fits your hand. That is the way to find a pistol. Not the dollar factor.

Lots of great info given, per your original post from the pistols
you are thinking about, CQB all the way. I have owned a few wilsons in different configuration and really impressed with all. My current wilson is a ambi safety railed CQB with adjustable night sights. I have over 4000 rounds down the tube with zero non magazine related malfunctions. Just my 2 cents.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, if you're patient......say hello to my new, unfired Don Williams custom Colt Commander. Purchased for no more than the limit mentioned in the title.
L_side.jpg

R_side2.jpg

rear.jpg

muzz.jpg

I started with a SS TRP, then saved up and sent off a Colt Commander to Ted Yost for the 1* Enhanced package, then still wanted something for summer carry and traded in to an Officers Model..

j0h3eb.jpg

I've never been able to convince myself to spend more than $1000 on a pistol. After all the rounds I've fired in training & in local shooting competitions with a Glock that cost me less than $400.....I just can't bring myself to believe a $1000+ pistol will serve me any better, especially when 99% of my shooting is within 25 or 40 yards.

The funny thing is that one year I got a good deal on a Dan Wesson 1911. A beautiful weapon indeed & it felt great. But, it was a little finicky with the type of ammo that it would take, basically ball ammo & truncated flat points....but nothing else. However, my shooting buddy bought a used S.A. Mil-Spec 1911 ($450) that functions like butter & has eaten every single type of bullet we've put through it without an single hiccup.

I would definitely trust my life to his SA or my Glock over my old DW any day.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mgd45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've never been able to convince myself to spend more than $1000 on a pistol. </div></div>

I thought the same thing until I did.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mgd45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've never been able to convince myself to spend more than $1000 on a pistol. </div></div>

I thought the same thing until I did. </div></div>

I 2nd that !!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mgd45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've never been able to convince myself to spend more than $1000 on a pistol. </div></div>

I thought the same thing until I did. </div></div>

Of course I said the same thing about spending more than $1500 on a rifle....until I bought a GAP.....DO'OH!!
shocked.gif

Seriously though....you really can't compare a high precision made pistol to a rifle with regards to how it will be used. I can debate merits of the accuracy potential of the rifle.....but not really a pistol.....especially when I'm shooting from 50 yards & closer. Do I really need a pistol that will group 1 or 2 inches at 50 yards....when all my other pistols will still hit center mass at the same distance? Nah.....not for me....

I guess if I could afford one......I probably would get one though......I guess deep down, I'm just jealous.....
cry.gif

STI, Wilson, Springfield take your pick....Zero difference. You can bolt anything you want on it.

I have over 70 1911 variations and I just picked up an STI Ranger and it was $900 bucks and very very nice! A couple other members here have the STI Trojan with adjustable sights rather than lopro carry sights and they love theres as well. Im not just saying nice for $900, they are nice for $12-$1500 bucks and they have so many model choices you will find exactly what you want! Try GB and type in STI in the seim auto search window. Also go to STI's website to see all of their models.

Good luck and have fun with the choice!

STI Edge in 40 S&W will make your mouth water.....

alan: did you buy the trp? how's it shoot? i wanted a 1911 for my first pistol - maybe because that's what i learned to shoot in the navy (before we decided 9mm ball ammo was good enough for our troops). do i date myself? anyway, bought a taurus, and have 3-4k rds thru it. a handful of failures, mostly magazine related (i now only buy wilson mags). i have done 3 defensive handgun schools; the only gun i saw on the range outshoot my taurus was the dan wesson commander. the taurus outshoots my buddy's kimber sis. although his hk45 is the most accurate handgun i've shot and i may still buy it from him.