• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which 2 stage trigger and pull weight for tactical shooting?

grebski

General Kommifornia
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2017
USA
I've been an avid benchrest/prone shooter for some time, but I'm making the jump to tactical match style shooting.

I want to setup both my remington 700 rifles to have the same 2 stage trigger and pull weights for tactical shooting.

I have one 2 stage calvin elite and 1 factory x mark pro, but I'm planning on ditching the xmark or both to setup both rifles the same way.

Timney 2 Stage (Red)
1st stage: 1-1.5lbs
2nd stage: 1-4lbs

Timney Calvin Elite 2stage (blue)
1st stage: 0.5lbs - 1.5lbs
2nd stage: 0.5lbs - 2.0lbs

Most of the info I've seen is saying a trigger pull of around 2-3lbs is good. Do I want to go heaver on the first stage or 2nd? I'm thinking heavier 1st and crisp 2nd might be good.

Which trigger would you chose and what pull weights for 1st and 2nd stage would you run?

It's really just a matter of choice. Only issue I really don't like about a two stage is one that does not have a solid step between first and second stage. When that happens you can "pull through" and fire without being ready. Normally I like to think I get about half on the first and half on the second.

I like a heavy first and a light second. Something like 1.5 lbs on the first and 0.5 lbs on the second stage.

Thanks for the info. Looks like the calvin elite can handle that

It's really just a matter of choice. Only issue I really don't like about a two stage is one that does not have a solid step between first and second stage. When that happens you can "pull through" and fire without being ready. Normally I like to think I get about half on the first and half on the second.

Aaaaah makes sense

Last edited:
Yes, that is what I was addressing. If you get too light on the second stage you don't feel the difference and will fire while thinking you are still on the first stage. That is why I like at least as much pull on the first as the second. Not a common problem on the better two stages today. In the past I had some bad ones.

Yes, that is what I was addressing. If you get too light on the second stage you don't feel the difference and will fire while thinking you are still on the first stage. That is why I like at least as much pull on the first as the second. Not a common problem on the better two stages today. In the past I had some bad ones.

My bad I misread your post! That definitely makes sense! I was thinking about trying somewhere between 1-1.5lbs first stage and 1lb on the second stage. I really like the calvin elite so far. The break between stages is very defined.

My factory AI triggers were around 3# total, with a breakdown of 2# first stage and 1# second stage. Excellent, crisp trigger, but a little heavy for my taste for PRS-type shooting. The new AI Competition trigger is vastly more adjustable, 1st and 2nd stages, travel, overtravel, you name it. I have mine set to 1.25# total, with a breakdown of approx. 10 oz first stage and 10 oz second stage. It's just about perfect for me. I found that any lighter on the 2nd stage and it was too easy to blow through the wall and fire.

I have a Tubb T7T trigger, which is nice (and adjustable), but is nowhere near as good as the AI trigger, as it has some creep in the 2nd stage I haven't been able to adjust out.

I don't have one of these, but the maker of the CG line of triggers is who co-developed the new AI Comp trigger, so you might want to check these out. If it's anything like the AI trigger, it will blow all the others out of the water.

CG Extreme Triggers

The guy's name is Tom Myer and he is GTG. I have 6 or so of his triggers. All great.
I also like the Timney CE two stage. Huber and Tubb also make excellent 2 stages that I use. Really a lot of good choices.

This forum is very helpful. I've been looking at the Calvin Elite and it's one I'll definitely consider after reading this.

My factory AI triggers were around 3# total, with a breakdown of 2# first stage and 1# second stage. Excellent, crisp trigger, but a little heavy for my taste for PRS-type shooting. The new AI Competition trigger is vastly more adjustable, 1st and 2nd stages, travel, overtravel, you name it. I have mine set to 1.25# total, with a breakdown of approx. 10 oz first stage and 10 oz second stage. It's just about perfect for me. I found that any lighter on the 2nd stage and it was too easy to blow through the wall and fire.

I have a Tubb T7T trigger, which is nice (and adjustable), but is nowhere near as good as the AI trigger, as it has some creep in the 2nd stage I haven't been able to adjust out.

I don't have one of these, but the maker of the CG line of triggers is who co-developed the new AI Comp trigger, so you might want to check these out. If it's anything like the AI trigger, it will blow all the others out of the water.

CG Extreme Triggers

I'll have to check those out one day, little bit out of my price range.

The guy's name is Tom Myer and he is GTG. I have 6 or so of his triggers. All great.
I also like the Timney CE two stage. Huber and Tubb also make excellent 2 stages that I use. Really a lot of good choices.

The timney CE has been excellent so far

I have three match rifles each with different 2 stage triggers. I’m using the Cadex, Calvin Elite and Bix’n Andy TacSport. Of the the three I like the TacSport the best and will eventually swap out the other two. I have the TacSport set up with next to nothing on the first stage and 7oz on the 2nd stage. It’s my favorite trigger for PRS Competition.

Tom from XTSP is awesome. I have 3 of the CG22 triggers and they are the best 2 stages around.

They came out with the AI Comp Trigger right after I sold my AI which gives me a sad.

I think the more you shoot the lighter a trigger you prefer. To me there's no point for a two stage trigger on a rifle that's going to be used playing a sport and not loaded until the marksman is ready to shoot a stage rather than carried loaded in the field. Unless, of course, you are so used to a two stage that to change would be a PITA. Then again, it's a lot easier to go back to a single when you can shoot a two stage well, IMO.

I just think that if you're running a two stage in competition it's because you're used to them and you like the way they feel rather than they serve some purpose that a single stage does not. I have a two stage on a lot of my field guns, and use an 8oz single for competition.

the Calvin elite 2 stage straight shoe is my go to trigger.

pull weight im honestly not too picky about.....generally so long as its at or under 3 lbs or so im happy.

i need a crisp trigger more than anything.

ive found going SUPER light on most triggers causes them to feel a little mushy.....and you get more of a rolling trigger rather than a well defined wall.

i think if i could get a trigger with a 0.5-1lb first stage....and a 2.5-3 lb second stage.....ide be pretty happy with that

On the XTSP CG 22 triggers I'm assuming you guys are using the full shoe with safety version?

I think the more you shoot the lighter a trigger you prefer. To me there's no point for a two stage trigger on a rifle that's going to be used playing a sport and not loaded until the marksman is ready to shoot a stage rather than carried loaded in the field. Unless, of course, you are so used to a two stage that to change would be a PITA. Then again, it's a lot easier to go back to a single when you can shoot a two stage well, IMO.

I just think that if you're running a two stage in competition it's because you're used to them and you like the way they feel rather than they serve some purpose that a single stage does not. I have a two stage on a lot of my field guns, and use an 8oz single for competition.
^^^ This. I have been a 2-stage trigger fan but, with a bit of competition experience under my belt as well as more experience with truly good single-stage triggers, I'm going to single stage. Also, for me, I've come to appreciate really light pull - 16 ounces or even a bit less. Not a good thing to mess with in a 2-stage trigger in competition, at least for me.

Another CG Mod 22 owner here. It’s a fine trigger. I have first stage about 11 oz. There is virtually zero creep and with a nice clean break. 2nd stage for me is about 14 oz with just a teeny tiny bit of over-travel. The adjustable shoe is great.

With that said I’m really curious about the 2 stage Bix’n Andy TacSport Pro.