• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which 338LM rifle?

Re: Which 338LM rifle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Armorman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get the AI or SRS and get Mike R. at TAC OPS to build you a .338 suppresor and tread your barrel, you wont be dissapointed, he guarentees his .308 cans for 50,000+ round use from what ive heard, not sure on the .338. Why get a pgw when its accuracy guarentee is only .75moa?????? if you can wait a little over a year, id also call Mike R. and see if he ca build you what you need.
Just my .02
-Felipe </div></div>

I'm not taking anything away from the other rifles because they're all very robust and accurate platforms however, if you talk to people that own a Timberwolf or have shot one you'll quickly find out that they shoot better than .75 moa. Besides, I'll take a consistent .75 moa anyday over something that may shoot sub 1/2 moa one day and 1.5 moa the next.

I do like the idea of the barrel conversions that the SRS offers. The concept of running one scope and one platform is very appealing to me. </div></div>

Mike guarantee's .25moa. And his rifles do perform.
Give him a call.
-Felipe

I just picked up a trg22 and so far love it. Looking like I will probably go with the 42 at some point also.

CJG

That SRS video is very nice... high quality too

I smiled when i heard that "thunk" sound

Ohhh i cant wait to get a .338LM

+1 The sako trg 42 is a great rifle, the trigger is the best I have ever felt and the bipod makes the rifle incredibly steady. Also From what I read the sako trg is a little more accurate then the AI and it's at least 1.5k cheaper when you buy all the accessories for it, which are worth it imo. Sure the AI is stronger but whose going to constantly drop your rifle or run it over with a truck? Just because it's more expensive or harder to find doesn't mean its always better.

I have shot both the TRG and the AI, for ME, the TRG was more comfortable and fit me better. If anyone is interested in either of these rifles, I highly recomend you shoot or at least lay behind each. I think one would probably fit you better than the other.

CJG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jrocker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 The sako trg 42 is a great rifle, the trigger is the best I have ever felt and the bipod makes the rifle incredibly steady. Also From what I read the sako trg is a little more accurate then the AI and it's at least 1.5k cheaper when you buy all the accessories for it, which are worth it imo. Sure the AI is stronger but whose going to constantly drop your rifle or run it over with a truck? Just because it's more expensive or harder to find doesn't mean its always better. </div></div>

Really? Figure $3100 or so for the rifle (green stock with phosphate barrel. $250 for the brake. I believe the new ones come shipped with a 1/11 twist instead of 1/12-which will not stabilize the 300smk. $220 EACH for a magazine. The you have to buy a scope base.$500 for the optilock w/34mm rings.$499 for the bipod. Barrels can't be changed by the user. Can't be converted to 300WM or 7mm Mag like the AI.

Both the AI and the Sako are readily available NOW-there was a time that either was hard to come by. I've owned a Sako TRG and they are indeed accurate,but so is my AIAW 338LM.Maybe a little more loot for the AI. But IMO, its a better SYSTEM.And don't forget the SRS. Very versatile.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lt. Arclight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jrocker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 The sako trg 42 is a great rifle, the trigger is the best I have ever felt and the bipod makes the rifle incredibly steady. Also From what I read the sako trg is a little more accurate then the AI and it's at least 1.5k cheaper when you buy all the accessories for it, which are worth it imo. Sure the AI is stronger but whose going to constantly drop your rifle or run it over with a truck? Just because it's more expensive or harder to find doesn't mean its always better. </div></div>

Really? Figure $3100 or so for the rifle (green stock with phosphate barrel. $250 for the brake. I believe the new ones come shipped with a 1/11 twist instead of 1/12-which will not stabilize the 300smk. $220 EACH for a magazine. The you have to buy a scope base.$500 for the optilock w/34mm rings.$499 for the bipod. Barrels can't be changed by the user. Can't be converted to 300WM or 7mm Mag like the AI.

Both the AI and the Sako are readily available NOW-there was a time that either was hard to come by. I've owned a Sako TRG and they are indeed accurate,but so is my AIAW 338LM.Maybe a little more loot for the AI. But IMO, its a better SYSTEM.And don't forget the SRS. Very versatile. </div></div>

The current import TRG 42's in 338 LM are 1/10 and stabilize the 300's fine. The older ones (couple years or older) are 1 in 12. Bases are about 150 bux then you can mount the scope and rings of your choice. I think they are pretty reasonable for what you get. great bang for the buck IMO.

CJG

Also the new Savage 110BA should come in around $2K and with the cost of 338LM ammo I'd need all the savings I could find.

Mines a 338 Lapua in a Barrett 98B and the Vortex Razor 5x20x50 optics – a great piece to shoot for sure

Just to update the thread... I ended up buying a DTA SRS in 338 and 308. Decided to go with a S&B 5-25x56 instead of the PR 5-25 that I had on hand. Still waiting on my AAC Ti-TITAN paperwork and muzzle device. Expect to shoot the rifle East Sunday Weekend with at least 308. Don't know if I will be able to get .338 ammo in time.

I have the AI AW 300wm. I chose that cal because of the price of ammo. But now that Im starting to delve into reloading, I should have gone with the 338. Great rifle to shot, cant break it if you try and you can do your barrel/bolt/change caliber yourself with the kit. They do cost a bit but itll last longer than I will. My kids kids with be shooting it.
Its a sexy lookin beasty to boot!

get the dta save 6000 spend 5000 on ammo then buy another barrel do it all over again

shootingwiththeboys012.jpg

I'm really fond of this one.....put a few rounds through it today. Wont be selling it anytime soon.....grin!!
GAP built Surgeon XL Action. Granite rocks out past that snow drift were in dire straights!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
shootingwiththeboys012.jpg

I'm really fond of this one.....put a few rounds through it today. Wont be selling it anytime soon.....grin!!
GAP built Surgeon XL Action. Granite rocks out past that snow drift were in dire straights!! </div></div>

nice.. like the LRF also....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: grkmec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just to update the thread... I ended up buying a DTA SRS in 338 and 308. Decided to go with a S&B 5-25x56 instead of the PR 5-25 that I had on hand. Still waiting on my AAC Ti-TITAN paperwork and muzzle device. Expect to shoot the rifle East Sunday Weekend with at least 308. Don't know if I will be able to get .338 ammo in time. </div></div>

Hi grkmec

Wondering if you could advise how much did the SRS with both 308 and 338 cost you? Myself and few others thinking of getting them imported.

Many thanks.