• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which .50 BMG? Semi or bolt?

1911addict42

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Aug 1, 2020
    Las Vegas
    The one thing I’m missing from the arsenal is a serious SHTF gun.
    I’m considering getting a Barrett .50BMg, but I see a pretty big range on price for those. The semi auto is priciest, but I’m wondering if practically speaking, rapid fire can even be done with that kind of ammunition. Is there a reason to step up to the pricier version or simply get the bolt action which I think is half the price at around $6,000?
    I don’t expect to ever need to use it, nor is there anywhere around here to even practice. But I do think it will become a collectible and increase in value over time...

Last edited:
    I just picked up mine yesterday (semi) dumped some rounds out of it. Definitely expensive. Was considering the 5 round mag bolt but went with the semi out of fear of regret.

Reactions: 1911addict42
    I just picked up mine yesterday (semi) dumped some rounds out of it. Definitely expensive. Was considering the 5 round mag bolt but went with the semi out of fear of regret.
    How was it to shoot? There’s a lot of hype around how powerful the blast is.

How was it to shoot? There’s a lot of hype around how powerful the blast is.
    It shoots great. It's more of a push then a kick. It reminds me of a semi auto 12gauge (think Benelli m4) there is a lot of blast but not really in the shooters direction more of to the sides. I did months of research before I bought it. The bolt actions have a bigger muzzle brake to compensate so I would assume it has even more blast then the semi(springs in the semi)

Reactions: 1911addict42
    It shoots great. It's more of a push then a kick. It reminds me of a semi auto 12gauge (think Benelli m4) there is a lot of blast but not really in the shooters direction more of to the sides. I did months of research before I bought it. The bolt actions have a bigger muzzle brake to compensate so I would assume it has even more blast then the semi(springs in the semi)
    It’s a chore to find somewhere to shoot those. You must live in a nice quiet area 😊

Apologies for the subject change... also just purchased a Barrett M107A1 (29" bbl). Am a lefty and need an ambi safety.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!!!!

Barrett M82
    1597987313055.png

except no substitutes unless its the m107 . Big heavy waiting for you to pull its trigger pull the trigger you know you want to . Finding one might be tough at 6k but if you do Irish eyes will be smiling well mine will. Id be happy for you at least I know owning and shooting this monster is on my bucket list . Darn the video with the truck mounted dual mini guns is no longer on you tube what a rip off , but it was really really cool so for your viewing pleasure quad 50 's
    god I want that on top of my house . don't remember the question being which would be the most practical 50 or the cheapest to shoot but which one would you want me these would be my pics only one of them is legal for me to own regardless its always fun to dream .

Last edited:
    • Love
    Reactions: Cheyenne Bodie
    Apologies for the subject change... also just purchased a Barrett M107A1 (29" bbl). Am a lefty and need an ambi safety.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!!!!
    Haven't really torn into mine yet, was planning on changing the A2 grip. Wonder if the safety is close to the same as an AR15

Barrett M82 View attachment 7404093
    except no substitutes unless its the m107 . Big heavy waiting for you to pull its trigger pull the trigger you know you want to . Finding one might be tough at 6k but if you do Irish eyes will be smiling well mine will. Id be happy for you at least I know owning and shooting this monster is on my bucket list . Darn the video with the truck mounted dual mini guns is no longer on you tube what a rip off , but it was really really cool so for your viewing pleasure quad 50 's
    god I want that on top of my house .

That woman just blew that guy's retirement about 20 seconds hahaha. That thing is awesome though. As a welder I would love to get in on something like that

Reactions: acudaowner
    The Barrett is a 3 MOA gun. Unless you are going into battle and need a semi-auto gun, a bolt action gun is a better choice for accuracy. As an example my Armalite AR-50 is a .5 MOA gun with my reloaded ammo using the Hornady bullets.

Also the cost of a bolt gun is MUCH less.

Reactions: 7mmFanBoy
    Barrett M82 View attachment 7404093
    god I want that on top of my house .

If it worked on the Chinese then it should handle Portland in a few minutes.

Reactions: acudaowner
    Am I the only one who cringes when a post mentions “SHTF”. Fucking kids watch too many movies.

And rapid fire of a Barrett 50cal??

Log out and turn your xbox back on.
    I dont own a console.
    You obviously missed the second part of my post where I mentioned the purpose was a collectible to increase in value.

Am I the only one who cringes when a post mentions “SHTF”. Fucking kids watch too many movies.

And rapid fire of a Barrett 50cal??

Log out and turn your xbox back on.
    I get what your saying lunchbox but it has happened in other countries, could happen here. IDK if the Barrett would be a great shtf option because of the weight but definitely a historical gun

The Barrett is a 3 MOA gun. Unless you are going into battle and need a semi-auto gun, a bolt action gun is a better choice for accuracy. As an example my Armalite AR-50 is a .5 MOA gun with my reloaded ammo using the Hornady bullets.

Also the cost of a bolt gun is MUCH less.
    Definitely right about the MOA. It's main purpose is anti material (vehicles) but like you said with Hornady or hand loads they can make a decent group

Regarding the ambi selector for the M107A1, after a few searches and a posting on this thread, with no results for either, I've reached out to Barrett for the answer and am awaiting a call back or email.

Will post up once I hear back if anyone else is interested.

As far as investments go, the M107A1 is a $10K+ outlay of cash. Kind of like buying a 5 ounce bar of gold. The price may go up but how many buyers will be able to put out the cash for someone to realize a profitable return?

A person could buy 10 decent ARs or 5 higher end ones and be more likely to move those in the "SHTF" or other such scenarios.

For that matter, 20 Ruger 10/22 rifles with ammo and extra high cap mags would only be a $5K investment with a better chance of moving them and realizing a good rate of return.

Of course those that can afford to own and shoot one, they are fun! My son split a bowling ball with one of my 50s and lit up a car with some API.

...and if you're REALLY into some big banging, nothing like shooting one of Mike Remo's 20 mm bolt guns!

Reactions: Madakk7
    I had a SERBO 50 once. It was a pain in my ass. Expensive as hell to shoot, a whole new reloading set up. Had to drive 1-2 hours one way for the distance. Always had a ranger stop by and ask what I was shooting at and how did I get my target down range, since you could only shoot paper or steel out in Pawnee grasslands and no off road driving. And I would maybe send 10 rounds down range and put it away for smaller calibers. The 50 did not make sense to me in any way shape or form. If you need a 50 for shtf you best be getting your ass out of there stat!

I had a SERBO 50 once. It was a pain in my ass. Expensive as hell to shoot, a whole new reloading set up. Had to drive 1-2 hours one way for the distance. Always had a ranger stop by and ask what I was shooting at and how did I get my target down range, since you could only shoot paper or steel out in Pawnee grasslands and no off road driving. And I would maybe send 10 rounds down range and put it away for smaller calibers. The 50 did not make sense to me in any way shape or form. If you need a 50 for shtf you best be getting your ass out of there stat!
    Pretty sure I don't have a place to shoot it over here either....
    Sometimes I see those Colt machine guns, kinda look like a cannon, from the late 1800's, that are worth like $50,000. I am picturing the Barrett to have a similar trajectory. Cool, timeless gun that should increase in value. Probably very little practical use, although you never know.

Heard back from Barrett. The selector is proprietary and they do not make an ambi...

I'm quite sure a semi-skilled machinist could add a lever on the off side, though so far
    I haven't found anyone to do it.

Reactions: Madakk7
    Heard back from Barrett. The selector is proprietary and they do not make an ambi...

I'm quite sure a semi-skilled machinist could add a lever on the off side, though so far

Gorilla glue a popcycle stick to the back side of the safety. Seems like that should be good enough........

I'm a welder wonder if I could make something

Honestly the suggestion for the MRAD isn’t a bad one. You get a 6.5 CM “training” barrel and 300 or 338 Norma for anti material duty. No clue about ammunition availability though.

Reactions: Rothbard73
    Bolt- Reload fmj ,incendiary, apit, and solids usually take those out to 1600 different watching ignition flash and smoke. Then I use amax for 2000 yards and further.

Honestly, for a civilian the 50 BMG is a recreational gun, not a SHF weapon. We are not going to be shooting armored vehicles or missiles should anarchy rein. Do I have one, yes. Bought a long tome ago when surplus bulletss were cheap and I shoot it about once every 5-10 years and it is HEAVY and a PIA to load in the car then clean when I get home. BUT shooting it is not like anything else as it is more of a arm cannon that a rifle. Just saying........

As I have said before my vote for an anarchy survival weapon is a semi-automatic or bolt 22LR, with a 308 bolt gun to go with it for longer range use.

Seems the hide has gotten pretty inclusive lately. Posters like these used to get tarred and feathered.
    Its one thing to want a 50bmg, mainly for cool factor as ammo is around $8 a pop or more and there is hardly anywhere you can actually shoot one.
    Its quite another to want a $8000 rifle that weighs around 36lbs that holds 5 rounds for ‘shit hits the fan’.
    Call of Duty bullshit imo.

Pretty sure when the statists went after Waco. A 50 chased them away and made them bring in actual MBTs (tanks )

Honestly, for a civilian the 50 BMG is a recreational gun, not a SHF weapon. We are not going to be shooting armored vehicles or missiles should anarchy rein. Do I have one, yes. Bought a long tome ago when surplus bulletss were cheap and I shoot it about once every 5-10 years and it is HEAVY and a PIA to load in the car then clean when I get home. BUT shooting it is not like anything else as it is more of a arm cannon that a rifle. Just saying........

As I have said before my vote for an anarchy survival weapon is a semi-automatic or bolt 22LR, with a 308 bolt gun to go with it for longer range use.