• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Which 9mm for silencer

Ch ris Bar

Private
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2010
Tennessee
Which 9m pistol is recommended for a silencer? Had asked on Silencer Talk, but they seemed dumbfounded...not one response. Had earlier considered HiPower and 92FS but there might be others that are more suitable. Hope you guys can give me some ideas or do/don't buy that!
Many thanks,
Chris

Re: Which 9mm for silencer

Id stay there are enough 9mm hand guns suited for a suppressor that it would take way to long to list them all and it would likely just turn into a debate over which combo would work the best.

The Glock and USP Tactical work VERY well with a can but as I said...the list of pistols you shouldn't use a suppressor on is likely much shorter.

i've never heard of which gun to buy for your silencer, its usually the other way around.

If yer askin whats a good suppressed 9mm setup, thats prolly how the question should look. And my answer would be ANY, pick a damn pistol and go about supressing it.

Bolt, yer up

So no problems with the HiPower or 92FS. Fine, will head to gun shops and show Sat to find one. Decided to add 9mm since .45 getting too expensive to shoot and not reload. A bit sensitive about the safety on Glock types, but thanks for mentioning it. Had fired a few 9mm Glocks and liked them otherwise....and many differing opinions there also.

Intent had been to identify pistol and silencer at same time so the combo would work <span style="font-weight: bold">well</span>. Was considering the Trident which had plenty of info available; what I could not deternine what matched up best.
Again, many thanks,
Chris

Just remember the 9mil can easily get past that 1126fps @ 68 degree mark so maybe something with a shorter barrel than the 92? Or of course you could reload light or use heavier bullets...

Something to consider

HK USP 9SD (Tactical in 9mm) with the SWR Trident.
Pistol comes with threaded barrel and adjustable high sights that see over the suppressor.

9mm is a fast round, breaking into the supersonic range 1000fps+, so you want to shoot heavier slower bullets. 147gr works great, very quiet in pistols as well as 10" SBR's.

I only have experience with 10"SBR's with a Trident and this grain bullet is pretty quiet. With 147gr subsonics it's really quiet!

Many guys with the USP9SD and Trident (and a some other models of can) have said it's a VERY nice combo.

I highly recommend both HK's and SWR when it comes to suppressed pistols. (experience)

Nice, but HK and Kimber out of my spending range for this one. Still not comfy with Glock, but how is Springfield. Think I perhaps found a Sig, but is not a protruding barrel better for external threading. Would rather spend elsewhere than second barrel just to add silencer. I did read here that HiPower barrel is <span style="font-style: italic">maybe</span> too thin for threading, and 92FS is problematic (that's what I read, not saying it's fact), so now leaning away from them. Maybe just stay with 1911 form. That's why I'm asking you guys. Have one day left.

I believe S&W are coming out with a threaded M&P from the factory. another option.

M&P glock hk sig springfield xdm ...all are good.

beretta is a different design may be able to get away with a non boosted can.

never seen a hipower suppressed...check youtube im sure it's been done though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chris Bar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice, but HK and Kimber out of my spending range for this one...</div></div> While I have no idea what your financial situation is...if an HK or Kimber is out of your spending range...wouldn't C3 items be as well? We can all post bullshit about how they are hearing safe, this, that & the other...but they are at the end of the day...a CDI commodity.

ive got a swr trident 9 and usp9sd, also a xd9 witha storm lake barrel. both sound about the same. but by the time you outfit the xd or a glock with a threaded barrel and raised sights you could have bought a hk already to go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chris Bar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice, but HK and Kimber out of my spending range for this one.</div></div>

What?

I like G19s a lot so I have a few setup with suppressors.

glocksLarge.jpg

Sigs are okay and there are some models with taller sights if you like that sort of thing. I generally don't. I also don't really care for the feel of most Sigs and don't like the triggers at all. But they are good suppressor hosts - pretty quiet and reliable.

tiRantonSigLarge.jpg

Kimbers and HKs were over $1k, but the others were around $5-600. That is significant to me after buying 7 rifles last year and 2 so far this year...need to watch expenses again. The can and host will be well over $1k anyway...plus I need a mini-can.
Will check out the others this weekend.

SIG X-5 Tactical, best of all worlds for me, single action,factory threaded barrel and high night sights with 15-20 rd mags available

Snagged the S&W M&P two pipe kit...enough below $500 to smile...thanks <span style="font-style: italic">very much</span> for suggestion...got an acorn <span style="text-decoration: underline">this</span> time!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom Olson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SIG X-5 Tactical, best of all worlds for me, single action,factory threaded barrel and high night sights with 15-20 rd mags available </div></div>

I didn't know they offered the X-5 tac with a threaded barrel. Is it aftermarket? Sounds like a pretty sick setup.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i've never heard of which gun to buy for your silencer, its usually the other way around.

If yer askin whats a good suppressed 9mm setup, thats prolly how the question should look. And my answer would be ANY, pick a damn pistol and go about supressing it.

Bolt, yer up</div></div>

i suggest you buy my $60,000.00 glock.....
MVC-030S.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NBly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom Olson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SIG X-5 Tactical, best of all worlds for me, single action,factory threaded barrel and high night sights with 15-20 rd mags available </div></div>

I didn't know they offered the X-5 tac with a threaded barrel. Is it aftermarket? Sounds like a pretty sick setup. </div></div>
Factory barrel/setup, took a long time to find it but worth it

I have had a Beretta 92FS, G19 and Sig P226. All thats left is my P226.

My 92FS was traded off for the P226 and after hearing the difference between the G19 & Sig I decided to sell the Glock. While not a bad host I just felt, IMHO, that the Sig made a significant difference in FRP and follow on shots.

Here is a link to a thread I started on ST:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58244

Hope this helps some,
MCASSgt New River