• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Which ACOG?

TACTICAL45

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 17, 2007
    Where ever they send me...
    I have used EOTech in the past, now considering getting a ACOG, possibly a TA3 series. I want a chevron type reticle, red. I have done some research on Trijicons' site about NV, but it only mentions it in the TANS. I will have it on a .223, only counting on it out to 300yds.

So, my questions are:
    Can it be used with standard NV like a EOTech?
    How does it compare to in CQB like a EOTech?
    with past experience which model would you say best fits my requirements?

Or should I can it and just buy another EOTech? The main reason for wanting a ACOG is the battery issue, but then again Trijicons wear out of illumination after a few years as well. I also wonder how durable it the tube on top?

Re: Which ACOG?

TAC:

It can be used with NV. I would suggest the TA11 (3.5X). Better eye relief than the TA31's (4X) and it will get you to 300yards and beyond without a problem. As far as CQB...A 1X optic is really nice for CQB, but with training, the TA11 can be just about as effective. If you are using this for 3-gun, it'll work out great. If you are using this for close work the majority of the time and occasionally getting out to 300 yards, I would seriously look at the TR24 (1-4 Accupoint) with the green post.

Hope this helps.

I use to have an eotech 553 with a FTS 4x mag. I really liked that but also was worried about batteries and any reliablity issues. So I sold that for a TA31F which was very nice but the eye relief was tuff and was not as fast as the eo up close. I then sold my TA31F and got a TA11 as suggested above. This is a great scope and with the donut it kinda gives you a red dot feel but with the ability to reach out if you have to. Now this scope while faster than the TA31 up close its still not as fast as the red dot. Its all about trade offs. You can make the ta11 work for you up close if you practice with it. I do miss my so sometimes but I can trust my acog will ALWAYS do its part as long as I do mine. These things are built like tanks! HTH

As TrapperT said, you may want to check out a 1-4x depending on how often you think you'll really be shooting out to 300yds vs CQB. I run a Burris XTR14, since it is a true 1x it's very simple to use as a red dot up close but the BDC is great on 4x out to greater distances. I've only been able to shoot mine out to 300yds and it's excellent. With your concern of battery life, the Accupoint sounds like the way to go.

If CQB is your primary purpose I'd stick with an Eotech (or Aimpoint in my preference) and pick up a magnifier if you'd like.

Thanks for the input guys, I ended up buying a as new EOTech 553.a65 and 3x from the same seller. I think I got a great deal for some equipment that is in great shape, works like new and looks like new.

I still may buy a ACOG, I had not even thought of going with a TA11, so this was not a total loss by any means. Keep the information coming, some one else may need some hep as well.

Thanks again.