• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Which ACOG?

oubeta

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2003
Edmond, Oklahoma
I'm setting up a M4 14.5" upper for a M4.
I don't know much about the ACOG.
Can anyone suggest what model would be a good one to get?

I like the idea of putting a Dr Optic on top, but don't like the price of the ECOS.
It's a little too much for my blood.

Do you like the ones with the fiber optic or without?

Re: Which ACOG?

prolly ought to get the one that got the .223 reticule for starters....and maybe want to skip the lipstick.

If you plan on using the BDC, look into which models are set up for which rounds, mount heights and barrel lengths.

.......then take all that info and toss it, because it may or may not hit "minute of barnside" depending on conditions (elevation, temp, lot of ammo etc). If you wanna hit a man within 400m, you should be fine, if you need more precise, there's better options.

I'm actually sponsoring a local soldier from my hometown.
He has requested an ACOG and I'm just not sure which one to get him.
I don't see why they can't just issue him one?
I purchased him a top of the line plate carrier and plates last week.
Good news he ended up getting the same one we bought for him.
So I can take it back and will have some extra funds for optics.
I believe he's just wanting something for his M16.
Green or Red? Which do you prefer?

I also though about an ECLAN as well, but don't know anything about them.

I chose the TA11 for longest eye relief, and because I could mount a RMR scope on top for close range shooting.

I don't want to make waves here but...

If he's got an M16, I doubt he'll need an ACOG. Reason being... I see virtually no trigger pullers toting M16's anymore. All M4's. And usually they are issued ACOGs or M68 CCO's (aimpoint). Maybe get him a little less expensive items from his list.

One of my concerns is the fact that he asked for plates and a plate carrier- is this guy a total cherry? You don't go into country without ESAPI's, front back and sides and an IBA or IOTV.

What kind of unit is this guy in? What's his MOS? I just don't want to see you blow a bunch of money so some PAC Clerk in a support battalion can run around the FOB like a trigger puller... not actually using any of the "cool-guy" gear you buy him.

he just wanted a more comfortable plate carrier.
The ESAPI plates he wanted were just a little lighter (from what he said) than the issued ones.
Yes he is green. This is his first trip over.
You are correct he's shooting a M4.
He requested all his stuff before he found out exactly what he was going to be issued.
He was issued an Aimpoint, but wants an ACOG.

Regardless of the reason he wants an ACOG anyone in the sand box should get what he wants. Who are we to judge? There are no front lines over there so if he wants an ACOG we owe it to him to give him our best advice. Rant over!!

I have 4 ACOGs on various AR's including my M16A1 on which I have a TAO1. The others are on a Colt 6920 (TAO1NSN) a TA31RCOM4 on a SCAR and a TA31F on a SIG 556. I'd prefer the red Chevron on the TA31RCOM4 (dual illumination) if I was mounting it on an M4. My second choice even though it doesn't have the dual illumination would be the TAO1NSN (amber cross hair) because of the built in iron sight which are OK for close in shooting. Just MHO
Thank him for his service.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oubeta</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-style: italic">I'm setting up a M4 14.5" upper for my M16.</span>I don't know much about the ACOG.
Can anyone suggest what model would be a good one to get?

I like the idea of putting a Dr Optic on top, but don't like the price of the ECOS.
It's a little too much for my blood.

Do you like the ones with the fiber optic or without?

</div></div>

Its been eating at me and I gotta ask=I'm curious why you bothered saying you were setting up an upper for your gun, then switched stories, instead of just saying you were sending one to a soldier?

Just figured it would be easier to explain it that way rather than explaining everything about what we are doing.
Hopefully I'll have some money left to finish out a rifle I've had sitting in the save for 3 years
smile.gif

5.11 Tactical and Blackhawk have been nothing but great.
They shipped them everything at a discount price next day.
I highly suggest them for anything, they are a top notch company.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Santo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Regardless of the reason he wants an ACOG anyone in the sand box should get what he wants. Who are we to judge? There are no front lines over there so if he wants an ACOG we owe it to him to give him our best advice. Rant over!! </div></div>

There are certainly "front lines" (perhaps not defined lines like in Korea and before, but any trigger puller will tell you... front lines do exist, just not in the context everyone thinks)- I've got SEVERAL tours myself, and if the guy is some cherry fobbit who never leaves the wire on one of the main supply bases, he absolutely does NOT NEED an ACOG. And who are we to judge him? Some of us are vets of multiple tours who don't want to see a guy with good, solid honest intentions taken advantage of by some dude that simply wants to look high-speed or have an ACOG to toss on his AR when he gets home. Despite what a lot of people think, just because you're wearing "US ARMY", "USMC", "US NAVY", or "US AIR FORCE" does not mean you are an honest, upstanding individual who isn't looking to take advantage of a situation- I've seen it pretty often actually.

Anyway, all of that aside... since he is apparently a legit guy, just green let me give you a few tips
#1, don't buy him any sort of body armor- it has nothing to do with his insurance not paying out as a lot of people think... the insurance will pay out if he strips totally naked, paints Mohammed on his wang and runs up to the first group of insurgents he sees. BUT, if he is not authorized non-standard body armor and he is caught wearing it, the hammer will drop on the guy harder than you can imagine. This includes a plate carrier--- The IOTV is more than a plate carrier, it has a lot of kevlar in it to protect against shrapnel, which MOST carriers do not have... unless he's a sniper, LRS or maybe a really high speed scout platoon, he'll have to wear the IOTV- with ESAPI plates as issued. Period. This is likely a waste of money (should anyone ever request this sort of thing again). NOTE: Not discussing the merits or drawbacks to the IOTV- just stating standard policy; the exceptions to policy are generally few.

#2, ACOG... There are better options out there... You said he's pretty green, has he looked at anything else or is this simply the route he wants to go? The TA31F is I believe the standard ACOG- this one has a red chevron with a fiberoptic along the top, SOCOM uses the TA01NSN- it does not have the fiber optic... and as stated, has crosshairs. If you have the money to spend, get the TA01NSN with a Doctor Optic or Trijicon RMR (TA01NSN-RMR) mounted on top in place of the semi-useless iron sight. One of the drawbacks to the ACOG is 4x in closer quarters- having a mini-red dot mounted on top solves the problem. Also I'm not a huge fan on the fiberoptic. IMO, it's too damned bright under a lot of situations. Anyway you go, be sure you get the .223 or 5.56 calibration (depends on which model you get). Head over to Larue Tactical and get their ACOG mount- the factory Trijcon ACOG mounts are for shit- uses two thumb screws that like to over time loose up a bit unless tool tightened. Looses zero when removed and reinstalled. The Larue mount holds it's zero and is much easier/faster to use. Also, should you go with the doctor/RMR, you'll want to get him a 3.5 MOA or 4 MOA version- You can go larger (7 or 8MOA), but please, do not buy a 9 or 13 MOA unit- it's just not called for.

#3, Better options... a variable power carbine scope built for these sorts of conditions. A small nightforce, or US Optics SN4S (1-4x) or SN6 (1.5-6X). Any of these options are a solid, durable scope that will offer near 1x power along with at least 4x, illuminated reticle w BDC abilities for the same or less than an ACOG w/ Doctor/RMR on top. Get him a Larue mount if you go this route too. I'm sure someone else could chime in with other good options in this range. I myself have an SN6 w/C2 reticle that's almost ready to be delivered.

ACOG is not the end-all-be-all... and it's over priced for what you get. If you go this route, try to find used- $1100-$1400 for just the ACOG is really highway robbery. Or contact Trijicon and see if they can cut you a deal on a blem ACOG.

Oh yeah, blackhawk by and large just steals the designs of Eagle Industries, London Bridge and Tactical Tailor... then puts it together with less quality. I'd have to advise going with one of the other three if you can. Eagle gives a 15-25% military discount last I checked, Tactical tailor donated better than $1500 worth of goods to my 4-man sniper section this past tour.