• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which action is the s-m-o-o-t-h-e-s-t...?

Re: Which action is the s-m-o-o-t-h-e-s-t...?

Stock Sako's have got be up there somewhere close. But I'm not an 'expert'.

L

My Templar/Defiance is much more smooth than my old 700 5r.

My Defiance is very smooth!

That being said, I will have a new BTA (Bat Tactical Action) in my hands tomorrow afternoon. I will give it a quick work over and let you all know my opinion before I send it to the gunsmith for my next build.

Something tells me it's going to be pretty damn sweet....maybe it's the cost telling me...
eek.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowe Left</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jason C</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slm9s</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BAT & Nesika are tops in my book. Defiance isn't far behind.

I was disappointed in the 1 Stiller tac30 I briefly owned. </div></div>

I don't feel my TAC 30 is very smooth either. I think the extra bolt clearance lends itself to feeling a little looser then others. Doesn't mean it isn't a great action. Super accurate and thus far, reliable. </div></div>

I started using Frog Lube on my TAC30AW and it made quite a difference. Try it and see if it slickens up the feel of your Stiller. I use the paste and then set it in the sun here in AZ. You can also use a hair dryer so that the lube can soak into the hot metal. Then let it cool and try running the action. </div></div>

Thanks Lowe left, will give it a shot. Just want to reiterate though to everyone. These are great actions and I love mine. My action doesn't bind, just isn't as smooth as others I have shot.

Had a BAT VRPIC and it was amazing. Smoother than Shank moving in on the hefties. Currently shoot Surgeon 591 and have no complaints.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">UGSW or black ops precision rifle action</div></div>

My UGSW action is a Defiance

My old mid 70s 7mm Mag has been shot smooooth, i like it and it's a Lefty. None any better out there. Just my .05

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fw707</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yep I stayed at a holiday in express last night, keep telling yourself that, god knows I have no experience. </div></div>

I don't question your experience.
I question how you can arbitrarily place a specific number of rounds (1500) on an action to give it your seal of approval...no pun intended.</div></div>

I think what he meant to say is that a rifle action should have quite a few rounds on it before any true acknowledgement is made. I'm sure 1500 was arbitrary.

why the fawk would i spend $1500 on a fawking action that will require burning out a barrel after 1500 rounds to achieve a comfortable level of smoothness? Then the rebarreling cost factored in puts my total cost at $2500 for a smooth action? I dont need to ask advise from people who gives stupid answers... just answer the guys question if you have any english comprehensions and little common sense... he's gonna build a new rifle so yes he wants a new action put on but a smooth one right off the bat... yes... if you can give him a straight answer than you have some experience... if you want 10,000 rounds first then he doesnt need your opinion. This is a general response not gearing towards you but those who has no experience with fresh actions that are smooth...

in my less than 1500 rounds experience... nothing comes close to Tikka fresh off the shelf. Stock rifle obviously.....trying to bind this bolt will be hard.

Last edited:
why the fawk would i spend $1500 on a fawking action that will require burning out a barrel after 1500 rounds to achieve a comfortable level of smoothness? Then the rebarreling cost factored in puts my total cost at $2500 for a smooth action? I dont need to ask advise from people who gives stupid answers... just answer the guys question if you have any english comprehensions and little common sense... he's gonna build a new rifle so yes he wants a new action put on but a smooth one right off the bat... yes... if you can give him a straight answer than you have some experience... if you want 10,000 rounds first then he doesnt need your opinion. This is a general response not gearing towards you but those who has no experience with fresh actions that are smooth...

in my less than 1500 rounds experience... nothing comes close to Tikka fresh off the shelf. Stock rifle obviously.....trying to bind this bolt will be hard.

Over 7 years later and hasn’t logged in since 2015. The OP probably figured it out by now...

Last edited:
Lol on the necropost.
But the answer is BAT TR is the s-m-o-o-t-h-e-s-t.

My favorite 2 custom actions that run the smoothest over all the actions I have had are the Kelbly Tactical and The Bat action Jamie sells at Wolf Precision. I think I have had most at 1 time or another. Or you could just go with a Tikka, they will give any action made a run for the money. If I could only have 1 custom action it would be the Bat action Jamie sells

Hopefully the guy gave his son/grandson his login information so this reply doesn't go to waste.

Great revival! :p

I've got a Remington 700 that was worked over by GAP and I've been shooting it for 10 years now. It's smoother than most of the customs I've encountered.

I have a 1958 Sako .243, L57 I believe that is in mint condition with only a few boxes of rounds through it that is smoother than anything I have ever handled. I can't imagine how it might be with a few thousand rounds through it. This is a good thread to revive to see how things have evolved.

Got two rem 700 30-06 factory rifles/actions from the mid 1970s. Both are ultra smooth. Bolt cycles like it’s riding on ice.

My Stiller Predator is ok. New rem 700s RR s/n are ok.I’m looking into a Borden Rimrock BR action for a benchrest build. Be curious to cycle it.

Bighorn/Zermatt Arms TL3, DLC coated, with TriggerTech Special timed to the action by Zermatt Arms. Smooth, and reilable whether windy, hot, and dusty, or cold and freezing.

Bighorn/Zermatt Arms TL3, DLC coated, with TriggerTech Special timed to the action by Zermatt Arms. Smooth, and reilable whether windy, hot, and dusty, or cold and freezing.
As long as you use your thumb as a guide to keep it from binding up...

I always know when someone is running a tl3 because they have their thumb on the back of the bolt, or it's missing the bolt knob completely...

Reactions: DrewC
Everybody calm down, there's an easy fix for this.

Step 1: Stand in front of the mirror.
Step 2: Point at self and yell, "I'm not the problem!"
Step 3: Point at mirror and yell, "You're the problem!"
Step 4: Repeat steps 2, 3, and 4.

AI, Impact, Lone Peak are the smoothest I’ve ran.

Waiting on a Terminus as the Curtis bolts are very smooth, just had other issues. If the Terminus fixes them. It’ll go into the list above.

Reactions: mahlv
As long as you use your thumb as a guide to keep it from binding up...
Seems to be an individual problem as it's never been a problem for me. Or as we used to say in the service "nothing wrong with the action."

this is really smooth and it has oil in it for that extra creamy texture
1583247706653.png

and while the indian chick is sort of cute she is no mrs. butters worth mmmm

This is easy...

Smoothest action of 2020: " 2019 What the Pro's use - Actions - "
Smoothest action of 2019: "2018 What the Pro's use - Actions - "
etc.

Concurrently
Most sold/traded action on PX 2020: "2018 What the Pro's use - Actions -"
Most sold/traded action on PX 2019: "2017 What the Pro's use - Actions -"

:ROFLMAO:

Might as well get it out the way:

“My remy 700. Don’t know why anyone spends all this money for something that isn’t as good.”

• Haha
Reactions: IowaGeologist

Thanks to all!

Some for the first hand experience, others for some wicked sense of humor!

The "smoothness" I am interested in is both the bolt lift (to minimally disrupt the shooting postion) and when the bolt is at full retraction and starting to move forward to feed the next round (where some bind).

I have owned several of the others mentioned (Colt/Sauer, Krag, Sako) and they are indeed smooth, but not what I was looking at using for this competition rifle.

Thank you all!!!
Mike
I've shot AI, ARC, Zermatt , Impact, and easily the smoothest operating (the full firing cycle, not just a smooth raceway) is a defiance deviant elite. The long action length firing pin spring w/ CRF just makes for the best feeling action out there. they must do a poor job marketing it because no reason that action shouldn't be on the tip of every tongue

I've shot AI, ARC, Zermatt , Impact, and easily the smoothest operating (the full firing cycle, not just a smooth raceway) is a defiance deviant elite. The long action length firing pin spring w/ CRF just makes for the best feeling action out there. they must do a poor job marketing it because no reason that action shouldn't be on the tip of every tongue
prefit barrels.

Reactions: SonicBurlap
Does anyone run a Borden Alpine or Timberline? How do they compare to Defiance actions.